Need to get LILO to re-write to the Master Boot Record

Need to get LILO to re-write to the Master Boot Record

Post by Bruc » Tue, 02 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I had installed Redhat Linux 5.2 onto my PC on another hdisk (Win 98 was on
my first hard disk) and I was using Linux loader to boot between Win 98 and
Linux.  However I reinstalled Win 98 and this re-wrote the Master boot
record and thus removed Linux loader.  I was wondering how I can reinstall
Linux Loader so I can boot to my Linux partition, or if this is not
possible, anyway (even floppy disk) to get access to it.

Thanks in advance,

Bruce Walker
Technical Analyst

uchino pty ltd
Level 6, Clarke Street
Southbank  3006
Victoria Australia
Phone: 61-3 9292 4161,   Fax: 61-3 9292 4141

Post by Villy Kru » Tue, 02 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>I had installed Redhat Linux 5.2 onto my PC on another hdisk (Win 98 was on
>my first hard disk) and I was using Linux loader to boot between Win 98 and
>Linux.  However I reinstalled Win 98 and this re-wrote the Master boot
>record and thus removed Linux loader.  I was wondering how I can reinstall
>Linux Loader so I can boot to my Linux partition, or if this is not
>possible, anyway (even floppy disk) to get access to it.

Next time you should consider writing lilo to the first linux partition
and make this partition the only active and bootable partition, and then
retain the original msdos loader in mbr.  Doing this makes sure no win9x
upgrade will ever touch lilo, and if you decide to blow away lilo lilo
will disappear with the partition it was installed in.  Thus, no lilo in
MBR unless your system is a linux only system.

Villy

Need to get LILO to re-write to the Master Boot Record

Post by ser » Wed, 03 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Do you have a bootdisk for Linux? (not the startdisk u made first when
installing)
I normally use that for emergencies.
How abt trying to boot up using that bootdisk, get into Linux and run lilo
again?
hmm...maybe it would be better to clear the MBR first by booting into DOS mode
and fdisk /MBR ?
This is only a suggestion...:)
good luck !

Regards,