Linux 1.2.1/slackware 2.2 doesn't recognize atapi cd-rom drive

Post by danub.. » Fri, 05 May 1995 04:00:00

>hello fellow linux-ers!

>i recently acquired the infomagic* 4 CD-set linux developer's resource.
>after following the instructions i managed to get installed the linux 1.2.1
>/slackware 2.2. distribution up and running. (it suprisingly used *only* the
>1st CD -- wonder what the other 3 contained? ;-)

>anyways, now the kernel that i boot (calls itself darkstar) can't recognize my
>cd rom drive.

I have the same experience with my SCSI CD-ROM drive which is recognized
as /dev/scd0 when booting from floppy, but when I boot with LILO into
HD, the drive fails to mount with a "non-block device" complaint.

I've had such experience with wrong device type before and I used the
MAKEDEV script to fix that.  Unfortunately I forgot how exactly.

Joe

1. Linux 1.2.8 doesn't recognise Pioneer ATAPI CD-ROM drive

It's a brand new Pioneer DR-UP124X5 drive which works under MSDOS
but not my Linux - even though the same kernel recognises a different
ATAPI CD-ROM on another machine. I've tried it as slave on primary IDE
and master on secondary IDE, both of which work under MSDOS but not
Linux.
I ran MAKEDEV.ide from Linux 1.3.97 to create /dev/hd1a etc. but
that didn't help of course - the kernel doesn't see the drive.
I haven't been able to try Linux 1.3.x yet because make reported an
error when producing a compressed kernel which I haven't had time to
sort out - it produced an uncompressed kernel happily but I can't see
that it's much use - it's too big to fit below the 640K barrier.

Has anyone else got a Pioneer ATAPI CD-ROM drive to work ? Any
suggestions ?

Please reply via email as my newsfeed is slow and unreliable and I'm
in a hurry to establish whether I can get the drive working so I can
return it if I can't.
Thanks.

2. SCSI CD-R troubles

3. Red Hat Linux 3.0.3 doesn't recognize my CD-ROM drive during installation

4. nis on fbsd 4.5?

5. Network card with RedHat

6. linux doesn't recognize my CD-ROM drive

7. Intergraph G91

8. HELP: Red Hat install doesn't recognize my SCSI CD-ROM or Hard drives

9. slackware setup doesn't detect VERTOS CD-ROM drive

10. Slackware 2.2 doesn't see Matsushita ATAPI CDROM...

11. Can't inst. Slackware 2.2 from CD-ROM connected to GUS-Max

12. Help - RH Linux doesn't recognize my CD-ROM