help with X-win32 client software

Post by Hung Ngoc La » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi Everyone,
First of all, I would like to thank everyone for their help in assisting me
learn Linux.  I have been using Linux for almost 8 months now.  Come
from Windows NT (MCSE+I) background.  One day, I decide to give Linux
 a try and fall in love with ever since.  IMHO, Linux is must more stable
and robust than Microsoft Windows (crash-prone, sorry to Microsoft
Professional but that's the fact).  I've learned quite a bit about Linux now
that I recommend it to my manager to implement Linux in our corporate
environment.  I even learn SSH which I think is really COOL.  Having say
that, now to my problem.

There are few users in our network that are still using windows.  Sometimes
they would like to connect to a Linux server.  The client software running
on Microsoft windows is X-win32 version 5.2.  Right now I am having
problem connecting X-client (ie. X-win32) to Linux.  As far as network
connectivity is concern, there is no problem.  I can see all the nodes on
the network (ping works).  On the Linux machine, I configure it to run xdm,
which is working fine.

On the Microsoft side, configure a session suing X-config.  I connect to the
Linux server using rexec.  The command line is:
/usr/bin/X11/xhost -ls -display 207.172.112.23:0.0 where 207.172.112.23
is the IP address of the Microsoft windows machine.  I set window mode
in X-win32 as both.  As far as the security tab in X-win32 is concern, I
don't know what I have to put there.

When I tried to connect to the Linux server with X-win32, I got the following
screen:  XDMCP Host Menu from localhost.localdomain.  Underneath,
I get the word LIST and 3 buttons:  cancel, accept, ping.  If I choose
accept, I see nothing on the screen, same with ping and cancel.

If I change to rexec, I got the following messages:  connection refused.
there are no restrictions on my linux server (i.e. hosts.allow and hosts.deny).
I am at a lost now.

When I connect to the Linux Server from Microsoft Windows, which mode
should I connect?  XDMP, rexec, rlogin??????  What else do I have to
configure on the Linux Server side?  What do I have to configure in X-win32
for this to work?  If anybody has a solution to this please send me an

Bottom line,  PLEASE HELP.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THEIR HELP AND EFFORTS......
David

1. help with X-win32 client software

[...]

2. Compiling new xterm with new libraries/include files

3. SuSE 8.1, Compaq Presario & networking

4. Help with using X-Win32 to run Linux X Server from windows client

5. Hitachi 20" owners out there?

6. PANIC: lock timeout

7. help with running X-win32 with RedHat 7.0

8. sygate / x-win32 help please!!

9. help with running X-win32 with RedHat 7.0