RH 5.2 CD-ROM install Problem

Post by gadow » Sun, 08 Nov 1998 04:00:00

During the installation of RH 5.2 when I choose to install from a cdrom it
begins
to seem as if it is about to detect it and then just freezes.  At this point
the
system is locked-up.  I have no problems with RH 5.0 and 5.1 but with 5.2
I get this problem.

Any suggestions

RH 5.2 CD-ROM install Problem

Post by lea » Sun, 08 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> During the installation of RH 5.2 when I choose to install from a cdrom it
> begins
> to seem as if it is about to detect it and then just freezes.  At this point
> the
> system is locked-up.  I have no problems with RH 5.0 and 5.1 but with 5.2
> I get this problem.

> Any suggestions

I have the same problem, looks like Red Hat messed up big time, I can not
install RH 5.2 , system locks up during auto-probing, what a piece of crap!

RH 5.1, FreeBSD 2.2.7 and WIn98 work fine, I have a 2940UW adaptec card

I 've tried upgrading my SCSI card to the latest Bios version, No luck!

RH 5.2 CD-ROM install Problem

Post by Alinga Yeun » Mon, 09 Nov 1998 04:00:00

My system also locked up during auto-probing as well when I installed RH 5.2.
I use Diamond Stealth 3D 3000. I used the expert mode to get around the
auto-probing
and was able to install RH 5.2.

Alinga

> I have the same problem, looks like Red Hat messed up big time, I can not
> install RH 5.2 , system locks up during auto-probing, what a piece of crap!

> RH 5.1, FreeBSD 2.2.7 and WIn98 work fine, I have a 2940UW adaptec card

> I 've tried upgrading my SCSI card to the latest Bios version, No luck!

RH 5.2 CD-ROM install Problem

Post by Lai Li » Sat, 14 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Try to use the supplemental disk by checking the force supplement option
when you are prompted for installation method. Before that you must create
you own supplemental disk by using the dosutil (ie rawrite). Give redhat
website a try to find out how to create this supplemental disk if you are
having problem.

I am running RH 5.2 right now and it run like a charm. It support my adaptech
AHA 2940 U2W  OEM with the default setting! And also my 3com950b-tp.

Just email me if you are having problem of installing RH5.2. It really should be

a breeze to install relative to RH5.1

> During the installation of RH 5.2 when I choose to install from a cdrom it
> begins
> to seem as if it is about to detect it and then just freezes.  At this point
> the
> system is locked-up.  I have no problems with RH 5.0 and 5.1 but with 5.2
> I get this problem.

> Any suggestions

1. RH 5.2 cannot mount CD-ROM during install

I am trying to install McMillian "My Complete RedHat5.2"
on a CTX 700E laptop (AMD K6 266, 32M RAM, NeoMagic Video).
This computer has a TORiSAN 20x CD-ROM which I think is
an ATAPI one.
When booting linux from the install diskette in default
mode, by just pressing <CR> at the prompt, the OS hangs
with messages "task idle cannot sleep" or something similar.
When booting linux from the install diskette in expert
mode, I can go through the language, keyboard and PCMCIA
selections, but then, after selecting Local CD-ROM and with
the RH5.2 CD in the drive, I get the the message
"cannot mount /dev/hdc".
I tried unsuccessfully to boot linux with different params
such as "linux hdb=cdrom expert" (I don't know if this
CD-ROM is slave on primary, master on secondary or anything),
but I always get the same message "cannot mount /dev/hdc".

Does anybody know of a possible explanation and solution?

Thanks.

2. Ati rage pro and 3d accelaration (freeze my system)

3. CD-ROM not recognized - RH 5.2/MAD 16 Sound Card

4. SiS 7012 sound card wont work

5. Cannot get CD-ROM to be seen by Red Hat 5.2 at install

6. Sunraster to Postscript

7. RH 5.1 CD-ROM install problem

8. 1.2.9 w/ 1.2.8 elf patch

9. Problem installing RH 5.2, lilo won't install

10. Can't install Yggdrasil summer 94 CD-ROM with SCSI-1 CD-ROM

11. CD-ROM not detected by linux after CD-ROM install

12. Red Hat 5.2 Loadlin HOWTO (WAS: Can't install LILO from RH 5.2)

13. FTP RH 5.2 -> RH 5.2 = NFT (No File Transfer)