Help getting my printer to work

Post by Gregory S. Ma » Sun, 31 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I've read the HOWTO and several other sources of information, including this
new group but I still am unable to get printing ro work properly.

I am using Caldera Open Linux 1.3, which came with StarOffice4.0.

The hardware is a Dell Dimension XPS H266 with 64 Megs RAM, two hard disks.
I've configured sound, network etc and all is working fine.  This is a dual
boot system, with NT on the primary hard disk and Linux on the extended
partition of the secondary hard disk.  My problem is that I cannot get
anything printed from Staroffice or Netscape.

The printer is a HP870Cxi.  I configured it using printtool, after which I
successfully printed all the test pages, so I assumed it was all
functioning.  Bad assumption.  As I said if I print from StarOffice or
Netscape all I get on the page is some post script header information like:
%!PS-Adobe-3.0 ...

Any suggestions about how to get this to work would be greatly appreciated.

Greg

Post by C Sanjayan Rosenmun » Mon, 01 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> The printer is a HP870Cxi.  I configured it using printtool, after which I
> successfully printed all the test pages, so I assumed it was all
> functioning.  Bad assumption.  As I said if I print from StarOffice or
> Netscape all I get on the page is some post script header information like:
> %!PS-Adobe-3.0 ...

> Any suggestions about how to get this to work would be greatly appreciated.

> Greg

Netscape, StarOffice and the like print in *postscript* and you need
an interpeter for your printer.  I use ghostscript and magicfilter on
my system and they work great.  mail me personally for more specific
help. . .

--
Sanjay

Windows has detected that a gnat has farted near your computer.
             Press any key to reboot.

1. (Help)getting lpd to work with printer(Help)

I have an epson stylus color printer on a linux box that I am trying
to share with several WfW and Mac clients.  The way the epson printer
works for WfW is to write to a shared directory and the epson daemon
(on the WfW print server) sees this file and prints it. I know that
this is a really strange way of doing this, but I have this running
like this at home (I have the same printer), so I know that it works!

I was hoping to do something similar for the linux box:
share the directory /usr/spool/lpd/epson and let WfW client "print" to
this directory.  Let lpd look in the /usr/spool/lpd/epson directory
and have it print the file directly from there.

question) will this work?

I am having trouble getting lpd to recognize the filter defined in
/usr/spool/lpd/epson.  I have the Linux Printing HOWTO and have
followed the steps diligently (sp?).  When I do lpr -Pepson the daemon
recongnizes the printer, but it seems to ignore the filter (does not
put anything in /tmp/testlp.out (see below)

I have the /etc/printcap as follows (note that it prints to /dev/null
for testing)

epson|epson: \
        :lp=/dev/null: \
        :sd=/usr/spool/lpd/epson: \
        :lf=/usr/spool/lpd/epson/errs: \
        :if=/usr/spool/lpd/epson/input_filter: \
        :mx#0: \
        :sh: \
        :sf:

the /usr/spool/lpd/epson/input_filter file looks like:
echo ------------------------------------------------ >> /tmp/testlp.out
date                                                  >> /tmp/testlp.out
echo ------------------------------------------------ >> /tmp/testlp.out
cat                                                   >> /tmp/testlp.out

again for testing only

I am not getting any errors (that I can see or look for)
any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Please post your replies as there are others who are interested in the
same information.

thanks

-jor

2. Apache ProxyPass caching functionality

3. need help getting 2nd printer working

4. floppy programming

5. Please help getting Lexmark Z43 printer to work with RH 9

6. Kickstart questions under RedHat 7.2.

7. Problem getting the printers working, help?

8. Question about job openings

9. Help Getting Printer Working

10. Has anyone gotten a printer to work on /dev/ecpp0 (ultra-10).

11. Getting Printer Interface Script to work

12. getting lexmark 1020 printer working??? in staroffice too?

13. Getting a Laser Printer to work under RedHat Linux 4