Problems after /var moved

Post by anon5.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have a problem after moving my /var to a new drive.
I am trying to move my system to a new drive and doing
it by copying one partition at a time to my new drive,
editing my fstab and mounting the new partition.

The problem I am having is with my /var partition.
After mounting my new partition and booting all goes good
till I try and start more than one graphical gui.  At
that time the gui I am changing from dies.  I have not
figured out what is causing it to die.  I can remount
my old var and  all goes fine so I think it has to be
how the new file system was created.

So this is what I did.  Created a new partition and mounted
it as /mnt/var and copied from /var to /mnt/var using
(cd /var && tar -clpf - . )|(cd /mnt/var && tar -xvf -)
I then edited my fstab and rebooted.

After failure I looked at the new file system and found
some of the permissions were not corrrect in the new
file system.  I tried to manually change a few with little
luck.  Beyond that everything looks good to me.  I am at
a loss as to what has gone wrong.

Now I have done the same with my /home and /usr system
with the above method and all has worked fine.  It is
only the var I am having problems with.

So any suggestions would be appreciated.
--

To send E-mail delete the blackhole.

1. moving /var to /usr/var

I want to move /var to /usr/var on my 2.2.7 system. I followed the
directions in the FreeBSD handbook (which basically say to create /usr/var,
copy /var to /usr/var, delete /var and then link /usr/var to /var), but when
I went to rm -rf /var I got a "device busy" error.  I rebooted into single
user mode and was still unable to rm -rf /var because / gets mounted as a
read only file system in single user mode.

Is this possible to configure post-installation?  Should I do this from a
bootable floppy?

Thanks... CDR

My views do not represent my employer.

2. HEALP -> Trying to find souce code

3. Informix problems afters Y2K Solaris 2.5 patch

4. serial ports and irqs

5. Problems after /var moved

6. PPP FOR MY ISP

7. Linux can't do single sided diskettes!?

8. sh var -> awk var -> sh var

9. callback, ppp, and morning-afters

10. How do I move /var to a new partition OR directory?

11. Safe way to move /usr, /var

12. moving /var to /??