Red Hat 4.1 won't recognize my CD-ROM

Post by gvild.. » Fri, 07 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I just received Red Hat 4.1 in the mail yesterday and decided to give
it a go.  Well, everthing was fine until it came to the CD-ROM.  I
tried every driver and none of them worked.  Here's what my system
consists of:

i5x86 133Mhz and 16 megs of RAM
Trident 9440AGi
Goldstar 8x CD-ROM
Sound Blaster 16

So, if anyone could help me, I would be very grateful!
Thanks
Dave

Red Hat 4.1 won't recognize my CD-ROM

Post by Randy Enni » Fri, 07 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I just received Red Hat 4.1 in the mail yesterday and decided to give
> it a go.  Well, everthing was fine until it came to the CD-ROM.  I
> tried every driver and none of them worked.  Here's what my system
> consists of:

> i5x86 133Mhz and 16 megs of RAM
> Trident 9440AGi
> Goldstar 8x CD-ROM
> Sound Blaster 16

Well, Dave, we need a little more info:

- Is your CD-ROM drive on the same controller as your hard drive or is it
on the secondary?

- If it's on the secondary, did Linux manage to recognize the secondary
controller port?

If you are running DOS on another partition, try setting up loadlin on the
DOS drive, then boot to DOS and boot Linux with loadlin.  That's the only
way I've been able to get Linux to recognize my secondary IDE controller
(so far).  It sucks, but...  If this works for you, then you might try the
following steps, which seem to work for others (just not me,... yet!).

If the CD-ROM is on the primary controller with the hard drive, and the
hard drive is also being recognized (which is likely) then, if you're using
lilo, add this to the /etc/lilo.conf:   append "hdb=cdrom"   then run lilo
to set it up.

If the CD-ROM is on the secondary and the secondary port is being
recognized, then change that to read:  append "hdc=cdrom" (assuming it's
the master on the secondary), and run lilo.

I'm making the assumption that you're using an IDE Hard Drive and an
IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM drive.  If not, I hope somebody with experience with the
other drives can help!

Red Hat 4.1 won't recognize my CD-ROM

Post by Wilhelm Wieneman » Sun, 09 Mar 1997 04:00:00

gsme I just received Red Hat 4.1 in the mail yesterday and decided to give
gsme it a go.  Well, everthing was fine until it came to the CD-ROM.  I
gsme tried every driver and none of them worked.  Here's what my system
gsme consists of:

gsme i5x86 133Mhz and 16 megs of RAM
gsme Trident 9440AGi
gsme Goldstar 8x CD-ROM
gsme Sound Blaster 16

gsme So, if anyone could help me, I would be very grateful!

Tried you a boot-parameter 'hdb=cdrom' or 'hdc=cdrom' if your CD-ROM is
an ATAPI CD-ROM. hdb or hdc depends on the ide-slot where the CD-ROM drive
is detected and if it's jumpered as 'Master' or 'Slave'.

ciao - Wilhelm
--

Quote:>>>>>>>>> Wilhelm Wienemann, Amselweg 10, D-47546 Kalkar/Germany <<<<<<<<<

"And since you are the future keepers of everything, including music, we
 hope you will keep it well, with love, and in joy." (Frederick Fennell)

1. HELP: Red Hat install doesn't recognize my SCSI CD-ROM or Hard drives

Hello,

Can anyone help.  I've tried installing Red Hat with no sucess.  Here
are the problems:

1) During installation CD-ROM can't be found for Red Hat source.  The
CD-ROM is an early NEC 3x SCSI.  I've tried copying CD-ROM to a hard
drive.

2) My SCSI drives are not recognized by Red Hat.  When I told Red Hat
that the source is on /dev/sdb or /dev/sdb1 and msdos type, it said
/dev/sdb was not a block device.  When I tried to do a Linux fdisk on
/dev/sdb or /dev/sdb1 I got an error message that said "unable to open
device".   I even tried fdisk on a hard drive that had no DOS
partitions - same result.

Installations attempted:
        -1 floppy and CD-ROM
        -3 floppies and hard drive

My MB is a P90 OPTI/AMI-ISA/VLB/PCI using a NCR53c810 PCI SCSI
controller.  I read a FAQ somewhere that said this MB had problems
running Linux, but didn't give any details.  I guess that explains it.
However, has anyone got this type of MB to run Linux?

thanks,
-gary

2. Auto CD mounting.

3. COMMERCIAL: Red Hat 4.1 on CD-ROM $1.99

4. Flame of the latest fact free bandwidth polluter (Re: "Debate:")

5. Red Hat Linux 3.0.3 doesn't recognize my CD-ROM drive during installation

6. XFree 4.x virge dx flickering problem [solved]

7. COMMERCIAL: Red Hat 4.1 on CD-ROM $1.99

8. Netatalk request for help (Urgent)

9. Red Hat Linux 3.0.3 doesn't recognize my CD-ROM drive during installation

10. NEWBIE: Problems installing Red Hat 4.1 from burned CD-ROM

11. Backpack CD-ROM and Red Hat 4.1

12. mount cd-rom creative with Red-Hat 4.1

13. Newbie Can't get Linux installation program (red hat) to recognise my CD-ROM