(help!) Slackware 2.0.30 dies during install

(help!) Slackware 2.0.30 dies during install

Post by H.M. Robinso » Sun, 07 Sep 1997 04:00:00



I'm trying to install Slackware 2.0.30 on my 486 (4DX50, 8M ram, 327M HD
partitioned as approx: \dev\hda1 100M msdos, \dev\hda2 200M linux native,
\dev\hda3 and \dev\hda4 each 16M linux swap). I'm using the boot and root
images bare.i and color144.gz respectively and installing diskset A from
floppy (\dev\fd0u1440).

Each time I try to use setup to install the disks it installs a few files
successfully and then produces an error, most commonly

gzip: invalid compressed data

        or just

tar: Skipping to next file header.

(Oh, and the .tgz files are unquestionably correct because I've taken copies
of the files generating errors and unpacked them perfectly well on
another machine.)

It does this at different places each time, but I've never managed to
install more than two disks' worth of files without some kind of mishap.
If I'm especially lucky I get segmentation faults, or general protection
and a register dump <frequently followed by Linux dying completely>.

By perseverance, and doing a lot of the tar -xzf manually (it's no less
error-prone, but easier to redo) I've - I think - installed all of the
disk set. But setup still crashes, as does pkgtool (either my version or
the root floppy version) and gzip. I also get a lot of other sporadic
errors from all kinds of tasks, including but not limited to the above
messages and some about blocks on free lists not being free.

On one occasion a crucial symbolic link in \lib was corrupted to look
like a file several times the size of my hd. This wasn't fun to sort out
as debugfs et al wouldn't run without that file, which it died trying to
read (I had to boot the root floppy so I could rename \lib). If I run
e2fsck it invariably finds numerous errors, and not just in the summary info,
though maybe it's not surprising given the number of system crashes where
I have to reset without umounting.

My knowledge of both PCs and Unix is exhausted. If you've any suggestions
at all, do let me know.

(If replying by email, please remove the animal from my email address.)

Thanks a lot,

Hugh.

 
 
 

(help!) Slackware 2.0.30 dies during install

Post by Dalibor Carap » Mon, 08 Sep 1997 04:00:00



>I'm trying to install Slackware 2.0.30 on my 486 (4DX50, 8M ram, 327M HD
>partitioned as approx: \dev\hda1 100M msdos, \dev\hda2 200M linux native,
>\dev\hda3 and \dev\hda4 each 16M linux swap). I'm using the boot and root
>images bare.i and color144.gz respectively and installing diskset A from
>floppy (\dev\fd0u1440).

>Each time I try to use setup to install the disks it installs a few files
>successfully and then produces an error, most commonly

>gzip: invalid compressed data

>    or just

>tar: Skipping to next file header.

Are you installing from a networked drive?
If you are it could mean that your network is responsible.
It happened to me once backuping my hard disk (windows network). Some of my
files were corupted.

--
_______________________________________________________________________

 Dalibor Carapic - Fakultet Organizacije i Informatike
 http://www.foi.hr/~dcarapic
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

(help!) Slackware 2.0.30 dies during install

Post by H.D. Robinso » Wed, 10 Sep 1997 04:00:00



> >I'm trying to install Slackware 2.0.30 on my 486 (4DX50, 8M ram, 327M HD
> >partitioned as approx: \dev\hda1 100M msdos, \dev\hda2 200M linux native,
> >\dev\hda3 and \dev\hda4 each 16M linux swap). I'm using the boot and root
> >images bare.i and color144.gz respectively and installing diskset A from
> >floppy (\dev\fd0u1440).

> >Each time I try to use setup to install the disks it installs a few files
> >successfully and then produces an error, most commonly

> >gzip: invalid compressed data

> >       or just

> >tar: Skipping to next file header.

> Are you installing from a networked drive?
> If you are it could mean that your network is responsible.
> It happened to me once backuping my hard disk (windows network). Some of my
> files were corupted.

No, I'm not. The files really aren't corrupted because they tar -xvf fine
on another machine. In fact by rebooting whenever I have a problem, and
installing all the A series individually by hand I've set up a Linux
system ... but it still crashes sporadically, either with the above
messages or with 'Segmentation fault', 'general protection' (+register
dump), 'Trying to free nonexistent swap-page' or others (but these are
the commonest).

I don't think it's a faulty simm as I have tried running linux with -mem
4m, then swapping my simms about and doing the same again, but still have
the same problems.

(My hardware is: PX486 P3 m/b, PT-627A EIDE card, IBM H3342-A4 HD,
unspecified VGA card. Does anyone else have experience of Linux on this
or similar setup?)

Cheers,

Hugh.

 
 
 

(help!) Slackware 2.0.30 dies during install

Post by Jan Anderse » Wed, 10 Sep 1997 04:00:00




> > >Each time I try to use setup to install the disks it installs a few files
> > >successfully and then produces an error, most commonly
> > >...

> No, I'm not. The files really aren't corrupted because they tar -xvf fine
> on another machine. In fact by rebooting whenever I have a problem, and
> installing all the A series individually by hand I've set up a Linux
> system ... but it still crashes sporadically, either with the above
> messages or with 'Segmentation fault', 'general protection' (+register
> dump), 'Trying to free nonexistent swap-page' or others (but these are
> the commonest).
> I once experienced something rather similar - also on a 486 machine. It had

one of these 'turbo buttons' to swith between 33 MHz and 50 Mhz. DOS ran fine
with 50MHz, but I couldn't get anything to in protected mode: OS/2, Linux and
even Windoze would die sporadically. I had no such problems with 33MHz. One of
the strange things was that I couldn't unpack .zip files at 50MHz! I interpreted
these symptoms as something with the CPU - as if the protected mode instructions
didn't work at high speed.

/jan

 
 
 

(help!) Slackware 2.0.30 dies during install

Post by David Porowsk » Sun, 14 Sep 1997 04:00:00


The problem you describe sounds like memory, since you can
install with the same disks to a different computer.    You might
try either 1) adding memory, or  2) use the low memory switch (??)
for the boot disk ...  

 
 
 

1. SlackWare 2.0.30 Install

<snip>

James_ Wrote:

Re-Compile your 2.0.30 kernel and answer YES! to PCMCIA support.

That oughta do-it.

====================================================
JAMES CLARK

(-C-I-S-)-Crystal Information Soulutions-(-C-I-S-)
====================================================
           The World has Moved !!

2. Installing WordPerfect 7????

3. Shared Memory Segment Problem on Sol. 2.3

4. ftape dies after 30 mins

5. setup printer

6. EXT2-fs error during Slackware install-- help!

7. Problem porting HP Motif to Solaris

8. 3com Vortex dies with 2.0.30

9. SunCluster 3.0 Panic with Failfast: Aborting because "ucmmd" died 30 seconds ago.

10. kernel 2.0.29/30 hang - during netscape ppp

11. Linux 2.0.30 freezes during boot

12. HELP - Install Linux on Last Partition of a 30 GB Hard Drive?