RH 7.2 kernel update -- SNAFU!

Post by Allodoxaphobi » Sat, 23 Feb 2002 11:29:44

Almost 2 weeks ago I did a RH 7.2 upgrade over my stable,
fully functional RH 6.1.  I've been bleeding through one
or both ears ever since.

One of the problems is that a warm boot never works.  It gets through
booting and throws up the graphic screen, and then the Xwindow login
window -- where I have no kbd or mouse operation -- not even ctl-alt-BKSP
or NumLock.  Okay --- but that's not why I'm posting.  Read on:

Being inside my 30-day window of 'free' "Premier Tech Support"
at RH, I've been going back and forth with them about things to
try --  m a n y  things.
The latest 'thing' was to update to kernel-2.4.9-21.

Did I mention I was a linux rookie for the most part?
My RH 6.1 was pretty solid (for me) and I never really
had to 'get my hands dirty'.

Well, now I fear my system is TOTALLY hosed.
I already had the new kernel -- downloaded by up2date
last week, but not installed.
I attempt to rpm -Uvh the kernel and I get "failed dependencies
 modutils >= 2.4.10 is needed".
OK.  I already had modutils-2.4.13-0.7.1.i386.rpm  -- again,
downloaded by up2date, but not installed.

I (aleady had) made a copy of my current vmlinuz-2.4.7-10 in /boot.
I installed the 2.4.13 modutils with rpm -- no problem(s).
I installed the 2.4.9 kernel with rpm -- no problem(s).
I updated /etc/lilo.conf.
I looked in /boot and initrd and vmlinuz were -2.4.9-21.
I re-booted.
BIG PROBLEMS!
I get 1:
       "modprobe: Can't open dependencies file
               /lib/modules/2.4.7-10/modules.dep not found."
and at least one:
       "Finding module dependencies: depmod: can't open
               /lib/modules/2.4.7-10/modules.dep for writing"
and 3 or 4:
       "modprobe: Can't open dependencies file
               /lib/modules/2.4.7-10/modules.dep
                    (No such file or directory.)"

Not much of my system gets loaded.  My kbd and mouse are inop,
and I cannot telnet in from my OS/2 workstation on the lan.

I can boot into linux single from my rescue disk.
grep tells me there's a "2.4.7-10" text string in /boot/map.
/boot/map is timestamped Feb 8  --  the date of my RH 6.1
to 7.2 upgrade.  I have no idea what /boot/map is, or is for,
or even _if_ it is part of my problem here.
"-2.4.7-10" is, of course, the version of my old vmlinuz and initrd.

I had made a copy of my old kernel according to the kernel
HOWTO directions I found on redhat.com  But, this being my
first kernel upgrade ever, I didn't know to make a backup of
my initrd to go with with my backup of the kernel.

I have *no* clue what I can do with the mess I now have to
get my system back.  I do not want to futz with it further
without 'guidance'. And there be *no* linux folks -- to my
knowledge -- within at least a 75 mile radius of me.

Can I fix/repair this?
Or, do I just scrape it down to the bare metal?

Thanks for reading this way-too-long post.
Jonesy
--
  | Marvin L Jones       | jonz           |  W3DHJ   |  OS/2

  |   7,703' -- 2,345m   |   frontier.net |  DM68mn             SK

RH 7.2 kernel update -- SNAFU!

Post by Nico Kadel-Garci » Sat, 23 Feb 2002 12:18:58

Quote:> Almost 2 weeks ago I did a RH 7.2 upgrade over my stable,
> fully functional RH 6.1.  I've been bleeding through one
> or both ears ever since.

> One of the problems is that a warm boot never works.  It gets through
> booting and throws up the graphic screen, and then the Xwindow login
> window -- where I have no kbd or mouse operation -- not even ctl-alt-BKSP
> or NumLock.  Okay --- but that's not why I'm posting.  Read on:

> Being inside my 30-day window of 'free' "Premier Tech Support"
> at RH, I've been going back and forth with them about things to
> try --  m a n y  things.
> The latest 'thing' was to update to kernel-2.4.9-21.

> Did I mention I was a linux rookie for the most part?
> My RH 6.1 was pretty solid (for me) and I never really
> had to 'get my hands dirty'.

> Well, now I fear my system is TOTALLY hosed.
> I already had the new kernel -- downloaded by up2date
> last week, but not installed.
> I attempt to rpm -Uvh the kernel and I get "failed dependencies
>  modutils >= 2.4.10 is needed".
> OK.  I already had modutils-2.4.13-0.7.1.i386.rpm  -- again,
> downloaded by up2date, but not installed.

> I (aleady had) made a copy of my current vmlinuz-2.4.7-10 in /boot.
> I installed the 2.4.13 modutils with rpm -- no problem(s).
> I installed the 2.4.9 kernel with rpm -- no problem(s).
> I updated /etc/lilo.conf.
> I looked in /boot and initrd and vmlinuz were -2.4.9-21.
> I re-booted.
> BIG PROBLEMS!
> I get 1:
>        "modprobe: Can't open dependencies file
>                /lib/modules/2.4.7-10/modules.dep not found."
> and at least one:
>        "Finding module dependencies: depmod: can't open
>                /lib/modules/2.4.7-10/modules.dep for writing"
> and 3 or 4:
>        "modprobe: Can't open dependencies file
>                /lib/modules/2.4.7-10/modules.dep
>                     (No such file or directory.)"

> Not much of my system gets loaded.  My kbd and mouse are inop,
> and I cannot telnet in from my OS/2 workstation on the lan.

> I can boot into linux single from my rescue disk.
> grep tells me there's a "2.4.7-10" text string in /boot/map.
> /boot/map is timestamped Feb 8  --  the date of my RH 6.1
> to 7.2 upgrade.  I have no idea what /boot/map is, or is for,
> or even _if_ it is part of my problem here.
> "-2.4.7-10" is, of course, the version of my old vmlinuz and initrd.

> I had made a copy of my old kernel according to the kernel
> HOWTO directions I found on redhat.com  But, this being my
> first kernel upgrade ever, I didn't know to make a backup of
> my initrd to go with with my backup of the kernel.

> I have *no* clue what I can do with the mess I now have to
> get my system back.  I do not want to futz with it further
> without 'guidance'. And there be *no* linux folks -- to my
> knowledge -- within at least a 75 mile radius of me.

> Can I fix/repair this?
> Or, do I just scrape it down to the bare metal?

> Thanks for reading this way-too-long post.
> Jonesy

Big difficulties, since you apparently failed to bring the modules and
rebuild your initrd if needed. Bare metal would be slower. Do this:

    Boot the linux rescue CD.
    Copy the kernel RPM over to "/tmp" on the mounted root partition disk
(usually /mnt/sysimage).
    chroot to the mounted disk (chroot /mnt/sysimage)
    Install the RPM with "rpm -i /tmp/kernel*rpm"
    Edit lilo.conf or grub.conf appropriately.
    If you have a SCSI boot drive, you *MUST* do "mkinitrd" to generate a
new set of pre-loadable SCSI modules that you have listed in lilo.conf or
grub.conf
    Run lilo or grub with the new kernel. You may have to edit some
confusing and erroneous duplicate entries out of /etc/mtab in the mounted
partition to make this work correctly.
    Exit the chroot.
    Reboot the machine.

RH 7.2 kernel update -- SNAFU!

Post by Peter T. Breue » Sat, 23 Feb 2002 13:34:44

Quote:> I (aleady had) made a copy of my current vmlinuz-2.4.7-10 in /boot.
> I installed the 2.4.13 modutils with rpm -- no problem(s).
> I installed the 2.4.9 kernel with rpm -- no problem(s).
> I updated /etc/lilo.conf.

You forgot to run lilo HERE.

Quote:> I looked in /boot and initrd and vmlinuz were -2.4.9-21.
> I re-booted.
> BIG PROBLEMS!

Peter

RH 7.2 kernel update -- SNAFU!

Post by Allodoxaphobi » Sun, 24 Feb 2002 03:50:27

On Fri, 22 Feb 2002 03:18:58 GMT, Nico Kadel-Garcia scribbled:

<-- much of my boring diatribe snipped -->

Quote:>> I installed the 2.4.13 modutils with rpm -- no problem(s).
>> I installed the 2.4.9 kernel with rpm -- no problem(s).
>> I updated /etc/lilo.conf.
>> I looked in /boot and initrd and vmlinuz were -2.4.9-21.
>> I re-booted.
>> BIG PROBLEMS!
>> I get 1:
>>        "modprobe: Can't open dependencies file
>>                /lib/modules/2.4.7-10/modules.dep not found."
>> and at least one:
>>        "Finding module dependencies: depmod: can't open
>>                /lib/modules/2.4.7-10/modules.dep for writing"
>> and 3 or 4:
>>        "modprobe: Can't open dependencies file
>>                /lib/modules/2.4.7-10/modules.dep
>>                     (No such file or directory.)"

> Big difficulties, since you apparently failed to bring the modules and
> rebuild your initrd if needed. Bare metal would be slower. Do this:

>     Boot the linux rescue CD.
>     Copy the kernel RPM over to "/tmp" on the mounted root partition disk
> (usually /mnt/sysimage).
>     chroot to the mounted disk (chroot /mnt/sysimage)
>     Install the RPM with "rpm -i /tmp/kernel*rpm"
>     Edit lilo.conf or grub.conf appropriately.
>     If you have a SCSI boot drive, you *MUST* do "mkinitrd" to generate a
> new set of pre-loadable SCSI modules that you have listed in lilo.conf or
> grub.conf
>     Run lilo or grub with the new kernel. You may have to edit some
> confusing and erroneous duplicate entries out of /etc/mtab in the mounted
> partition to make this work correctly.
>     Exit the chroot.
>     Reboot the machine.

Thank you for your rapid response and advice!
I didn't want to mess with it last night, so I left it for
this morning.  As I tossed and turned all night, it occurred
to me that I hadn't done any damage -- yet -- I just hadn't
done *all* that I was suppose to do.  (Being a rookie in linux
and an absolute neophyte with the kernel, I guess failing to
run /sbin/lilo after a kernel update is The Big Rookie Mistake.)

This morning I (nervously) booted into linux single with the
rescue disk of my prior kernel version.  I first ran
/sbin/lilo -v -t which looked to be "ok".
Then I ran /sbin/lilo for real.
Then I ran "init 6" to do a warm boot.
The system up and I am on the new kernel.

For all you lurkers out there:  In addition to the kernel HOWTO's,
you might want to review:
 www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.2-Manual/custom-guide/rescuem...
Especially the part  a l l  t h e  w a y  towards the bottom
where it starts out "Have you ever rebuilt a kernel and, eager to try
out your new handiwork, rebooted before running /sbin/lilo?"

Again, thank you for having the patience and determination to
haunt these ngs and replying to rabble such as I.
I promise to do / to get better.
Jonesy
--
  | Marvin L Jones       | jonz           |  W3DHJ   |  OS/2

  |   7,703' -- 2,345m   |   frontier.net |  DM68mn             SK

RH 7.2 kernel update -- SNAFU!

Post by Allodoxaphobi » Sun, 24 Feb 2002 03:52:10

On Fri, 22 Feb 2002 05:34:44 +0100, Peter T. Breuer scribbled:

>> I (aleady had) made a copy of my current vmlinuz-2.4.7-10 in /boot.
>> I installed the 2.4.13 modutils with rpm -- no problem(s).
>> I installed the 2.4.9 kernel with rpm -- no problem(s).
>> I updated /etc/lilo.conf.

> You forgot to run lilo HERE.

Ahh, yes.
Being a rookie in linux and an absolute neophyte with the kernel,
failing to run /sbin/lilo after a kernel update must surely be
The Big Rookie Mistake.

For all you lurkers out there:  In addition to the kernel HOWTO's,
you might want to review:
 www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.2-Manual/custom-guide/rescuem...
Especially the part  a l l  t h e  w a y  towards the bottom
where it starts out "Have you ever rebuilt a kernel and, eager to
try out your new handiwork, rebooted before running /sbin/lilo?"

Thank you for clearly and concisely pointing out my lapse.
Jonesy
--

Post by Timothy Murp » Sun, 03 Mar 2002 08:18:20

>For all you lurkers out there:  In addition to the kernel HOWTO's,
>you might want to review:
> www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.2-Manual/custom-guide/rescuem...
>Especially the part  a l l  t h e  w a y  towards the bottom
>where it starts out "Have you ever rebuilt a kernel and, eager to try
>out your new handiwork, rebooted before running /sbin/lilo?"

Normally this shouldn't cause any problem --
you will simply run your old kernl instead of the new one.
It seems that RedHat's kernel upgrade removes the old modules,
which is surprising.

I must say I don't see the point of using RedHat's kernel upgrades.
If you want a new kernel why not just get the latest stable one
and compile it?
This is much easier than it sounds.

The trouble with RedHat kernels is that they have to cope with
every machine under the sun.
In particular they have to use initrd
in case the user has a SCSI machine.
(If you have SCSI discs you compile them into your own kernel,
and so don't need initrd.)

--
Timothy Murphy

tel: 086-233 6090

RH 7.2 kernel update -- SNAFU!

Post by Toby Hayne » Mon, 04 Mar 2002 03:33:55

Quote:> Almost 2 weeks ago I did a RH 7.2 upgrade over my stable,
> fully functional RH 6.1.  I've been bleeding through one
> or both ears ever since.
[snip]
> Well, now I fear my system is TOTALLY hosed.
> I already had the new kernel -- downloaded by up2date
> last week, but not installed.
> I attempt to rpm -Uvh the kernel and I get "failed dependencies
>  modutils >= 2.4.10 is needed".

There is one mistake right that you would do well to avoid.

    NEVER UPGRADE YOUR KERNEL USING RPM.

That is not to say that you can't use the kernel RPMS. You should do

    rpm -ivh kernel-2.4.13*.rpm

which INSTALLs the new rpm.

This gives you both the new and your original kernels in the system. You should
check that the new kernel has been added to the lilo.conf file and that lilo
has been run. Now when you reboot the system, choose the new kernel from the
menu. If it fails, you can always go back to your older kernel.

Boot your damaged system with a bootdisc or repair CD. Install the older kernel
(you may have to do rpm -ivh kernel-2.4.whatever.rpm --force). Cross fingers
and reboot - pick the old kernel.

Cheers,
Toby Haynes

--

Toby Haynes
The views and opinions expressed in this message are my own, and do

RH 7.2 kernel update -- SNAFU!

Post by Nico Kadel-Garci » Mon, 04 Mar 2002 14:57:09

> > Almost 2 weeks ago I did a RH 7.2 upgrade over my stable,
> > fully functional RH 6.1.  I've been bleeding through one
> > or both ears ever since.
> [snip]
> > Well, now I fear my system is TOTALLY hosed.
> > I already had the new kernel -- downloaded by up2date
> > last week, but not installed.
> > I attempt to rpm -Uvh the kernel and I get "failed dependencies
> >  modutils >= 2.4.10 is needed".

> There is one mistake right that you would do well to avoid.

>     NEVER UPGRADE YOUR KERNEL USING RPM.

> That is not to say that you can't use the kernel RPMS. You should do

>     rpm -ivh kernel-2.4.13*.rpm

> which INSTALLs the new rpm.

> This gives you both the new and your original kernels in the system. You
should
> check that the new kernel has been added to the lilo.conf file and that
lilo
> has been run. Now when you reboot the system, choose the new kernel from
the
> menu. If it fails, you can always go back to your older kernel.

> Boot your damaged system with a bootdisc or repair CD. Install the older
kernel
> (you may have to do rpm -ivh kernel-2.4.whatever.rpm --force). Cross
fingers
> and reboot - pick the old kernel.

> Cheers,
> Toby Haynes

True. Also, he still needs to update modutils to use the new kernel.And he
can remove the old kernel later, if he decides to save space and entries in
his lilo or grub configuration, by using "rpm -e kernel-[version]".

1. Quotas broken on RH 7.2 upgrade to RH Kernel 2.4.20-13.7

Folks,

We have RedHat 7.2 systems (SMP) and the most recent Kernel
Updgrade to 2.4.20-13.7 seems to have caused Quotas to break?
We had delayed the upgrade on a few systems and were able to
isolate it to the kernel upgrade causing the problem, the
system is:

quotaon: using /export/home/quota.user on /dev/sda5: Invalid argument
quotaon: using /export/home1/quota.user on /dev/sdb1: Invalid argument
quotaon: using /export/home2/quota.user on /dev/sdb3: Invalid argument

Have seen some other posting at RedHat's site, but so far
no solutions.  Does anyone have a fix?
--
                                          John
John Murtari                              Software Workshop Inc.

http://www.thebook.com/

2. vi editor FAQ (Frequently Asked Question List), Part 1/2

3. Newbie: How Do I Auto-Update RH 7.2 w/ Latest Security Patches?

4. background processes and open tty's

5. Error with insmod after update RH 7.2

6. rz/sz on 3.2v4.2, errors

7. RedHat 7.2 - Updating The Kernel

8. we should use packaging software !!

9. RedHat 7.2 Kernel Update - Floppy Boot

10. redhat 7.2 kernel update question

11. New kernel for RH 7.2=trouble

12. RH 7.2 w/ 2.4.14 kernel, can't access certain web sites

13. RH 7.2 precompiled kernels and drivers