setup linux5.2 red hat

Post by Rick » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi all

Please can you help me. I am trying to install redhat linux 5.2. I have got
as far as Disk Druid.
What is the Mount Point that has to be entered in the linux native. it says
I must assign a root (/)partition to a native partition (ext2) for the
install to proceed. I have tried entering "/" and it proceeds until it asks
me Where do you want to install the boot loader,
/dev/hda     Master boot record
/dev/hd1     First sector of boot partition.

It always comes up with an error occurred during step Install bootloader of
the install.

As you can tell this is the first time I have used linux so any help would
be much appreciated.

Thanks
Rick.

setup linux5.2 red hat

Post by Chri » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Check out Red Hat's website: www.redhat.com
They have the installation guide posted online.
You might want to read it first then do your installation.

Good luck

Quote:> Hi all

> Please can you help me. I am trying to install redhat linux 5.2. I have
got
> as far as Disk Druid.
> What is the Mount Point that has to be entered in the linux native. it
says
> I must assign a root (/)partition to a native partition (ext2) for the
> install to proceed. I have tried entering "/" and it proceeds until it
asks
> me Where do you want to install the boot loader,
> /dev/hda     Master boot record
> /dev/hd1     First sector of boot partition.

> It always comes up with an error occurred during step Install bootloader
of
> the install.

> As you can tell this is the first time I have used linux so any help would
> be much appreciated.

> Thanks
> Rick.

setup linux5.2 red hat

Post by Jonathan Wilso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Rick,

I agree that you should read as much of the manuals as you can stand, before
trying to do any particular thing in Linux. Unlike Windows (where the only
way to get things movin' is to play with programs and their settings until
something works), in Linux you shouldn't just try things to see if they
work- it's too likely that you'll mess something up.

Tell it that you want to put it in the MBR, but before you do that-
1. Are you also using Windows (i.e., dual boot)?
1. Are you installing Linux on your first hard drive (hda)?

If you are intending to keep Windows, you should know that fairly often,
LILO doesn't do right, and will not let you back into Windows (do any of you
gurus out there know why???) I've only installed LILO twice- it worked once,
and it didn't work once. I have a friend who says he gets 50/50 with it too.
Anyway, I noticed both times that when LILO is about to be installed, it
asks you to choose which OSs you'd like LILO to be able to boot, and what
you want to call them. I calls windows "dos", this is interesting, because
my friend tells me that some times when LILO goofs up, he can get into DOS
but not Windows. The one time LILO did work for me, I changed the word "dos"
and told setup to call it "windows". Perhaps it's just a coincidence, but it
worked that time.

Anyway if you install LILO and it won't give you the option of windows,
DON'T PANIC.   Insert a dos/windows boot floppy ("start-up disk") and, when
you get to the A:/ prompt, type "fdisk /mbr" and then hit the Enter key.
This will restore Windows, and remove LILO. If you made a Linux start up
disk during the install (PLEASE do it if you can- sooner or later you'll
need it), you can boot up your Linux with it. You can then reinstall LILO
later (I admit I don't know a thing about that, though). I suppose you can
also install loadlin later? I'm not sure. I'm sure you can make a rescue
disk after you install Linux, I just don't know how.

I'm also not sure about the following (Quoted from the page Glenn sent you
to):

"I do a fdisk /mbr from a windows/dos boot diskette before installing my
Linux. In this way you rewrite the boot-table on your boot harddisk and the
geometry-problem, or whatever it is, never occurs.".

Hmmm.

So, here's the most important things: by yourself a few new floppies, and
make TWO new Windows boot disks (it's amazing how floppies get damaged when
you've only got one copy- thanks to Murphy's law) and put them in a safe but
accessible place before you start to install Linux. Then, Before you shut
down Linux for the first time, make sure you have at least 1 Linux rescue
disk IN ADDITION TO your Linux installation disk.

That way, if you mess up the MBR installing Linux, you can fix it with the
Windows disk, and if you have to fix the MBR you'll still be able to get
into Linux with the Linux rescue disk.

Label each disk CLEARLY, and write down fdisk /mbr on a piece of paper where
you can find it (write it on the floppy, even). I tend to forget the exact
method of doing things like fixing the MBR when things go wrong, and if your
instructions on fixing your computer are trapped inside your broken
computer, what are you going to do?

Hope this doesn't sound mean, but I've lived through some pretty bad
experiences of staying up all night trying to fix a crashed computer that
had to be used the next morning. The worst one was when a friend of my
dad's, who was a lawyer, asked me to come install a printer on his laptop
that he had to take with him early the next morning.  For some reason when
the computer rebooted at the end of the install, the BIOS refused to accept
the password. And it just so happens that if the computer thinks you don't
know the right password, it's not going to let you do anything. I've
installed a lot of printers, and never had anything like that happen before
or since, but it goes to show that even when you can't see any reason for
things to go wrong, if they can, they probably will.

So, be prepared with your rescue disks and instructions (written on paper)
ready for action!

Hope everything goes well.

Happy Linuxing,
            JW

7.1 installation?

Here's my problem:

Please help!

2. Used lpsystem and lpadmin, now can't logon except as root

3. Problem logging in after upgradation from red hat 8 to red hat 9

4. [2.5.35] CPUfreq documentation (4/5)

5. migrating from red hat 8.0 to red hat 9.0

6. Jumpstart Problem with Solaris8

7. Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already

8. Khoros port to Linux ?

9. The Red Hats are coming, the Red Hats are coming

10. Red Hat Piranha and Red Hat 7

11. "Official" Red Hat vs. Red Hat

12. Demonizing Red Hat (was: CodeWarrior for Red Hat Linux)

13. red hat or red hat