Help needed: Disk Partition Scheme for Multi-boot OS system and Linux

Help needed: Disk Partition Scheme for Multi-boot OS system and Linux

Post by Gar » Thu, 10 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hello,

I am trying to install Red Hat 3.0.3 onto a 2.1 gig scsi drive which
has already been DOS partitioned as follows:

        Extended DOS Partition is 2.1 gigs
                Logical DOS drive D: is 640 megs (for Win95)
                Logical DOS drive E: is 640 megs (for Win NT 4.0)
                Logical DOS drive F: is 728 megs (reserved for Linux)

I also have a 540 meg scsi drive that is C: drive and is used entirely
for DOS/Windows 3.11 WGFW.

My question is: when I do the initial Linux boot and install, will
Linux install into the logical DOS drive F:?  If so, how will it do
this?  Will it do it's version of fdisk on /dev/sdb3 (drive F:)?
Could you clarify this for me?  But please keep in mind that I would
prefer to keep logical drives C:, D: and E: for DOS/Win3.11, Win95 and
Win NT, respectfully).

thanks,
-gary

Help needed: Disk Partition Scheme for Multi-boot OS system and Linux

Post by Gar » Sat, 12 Oct 1996 04:00:00

By george I got it, I just removed the DOS logical drive I had
reserved for linux and let Red Hat 3.0.3 install take care of the free
disk space (unpartitioned).

-gary