Redhat driver for linksys ethernet cards.

Redhat driver for linksys ethernet cards.

Post by ne.. » Thu, 15 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello everyone!

>Me and a friend have just ordered a couple of PCs and
>plan to load the Redhat linux on it... planning to dive
>into the linux world.

>I am planning to buy the Linksys, fast ethernet starter kit.
>wanted to know if redhat has a driver for the fast ethernet cards
>from linksys...

Some nics from Linksys are supported. Check out which
models you will be getting, then visit the LDP page for
the Ethernet-HOWTO to see whether the card is supported.
You might also want to check the Linksys homepage for
Linux support.

--
Anybody who doesn't cut his speed at the sight of a police car is
probably parked.

Redhat driver for linksys ethernet cards.

Post by Rod Smi » Sun, 18 Apr 1999 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> Hello,

> Thanks for the message. Linksys does support Linux too.
> What I'd like to know is whether it supports Redhat?
> Please dont go "duh!!??".. I'm new to linux. I'm assuming
> redhat is a  different flavor of linux.

Red Hat is one specific "brand" of Linux, just as are Debian, Slackware,
SuSE, and others.  In the case of kernel device drivers such as what you
need to run an ethernet card, if it works with one variant, it will work
with them all (provided they're running the same kernel versions, or
something close enough that the driver will compile properly).  The Linux
kernels are IDENTICAL across the different "brands" of Linux (again,
assuming we're talking about the same kernel versions, and assuming
we're talking about source code or kernel binaries compiled with the same
options).

--
Rod Smith

http://www.channel1.com/users/rodsmith
NOTE: Remove the "uce" word from my address to mail me