Why wont gnone gwork?

Why wont gnone gwork?

Post by John Peschke » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



Yes, I'm completely new to Linux, and have RedHat 6.1 installed.

As I understand it, "startx" should get me into gnome, but it doesn't.  The
errors are

*******************************************************

(--) SVGA: there is no mode definition named "1024x768"

Fatal server error:
No valid modes found.

X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

******************************************************

Sounds to me like it's unhappy with the video configuration, right?

However, I can't seem to find any information on how to tinker with the
settings.

I'd appreciate getting a clue.  It may take several clues before I catch on.

John

 
 
 

Why wont gnone gwork?

Post by Peter T. Breue » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


: Yes, I'm completely new to Linux, and have RedHat 6.1 installed.

: As I understand it, "startx" should get me into gnome, but it doesn't.  The
: errors are

: *******************************************************

: (--) SVGA: there is no mode definition named "1024x768"

That's an error from X, not startx.

: X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

Well, the X server didn't start due to lack of any sensible configuration.

: Sounds to me like it's unhappy with the video configuration, right?

Yeah .. did you configure it? Sounds like you didn't?

: However, I can't seem to find any information on how to tinker with the
: settings.

Read the X HOWTO.

: I'd appreciate getting a clue.  It may take several clues before I catch on.

Run xf86config.

(and I do mean that, not XCOnfigutaroororor or any other gui-based
monstrosity).

Peter

 
 
 

Why wont gnone gwork?

Post by Miguel Rodriguez Penaba » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



> Yes, I'm completely new to Linux, and have RedHat 6.1 installed.

> As I understand it, "startx" should get me into gnome, but it doesn't.  The
> errors are

> *******************************************************

> (--) SVGA: there is no mode definition named "1024x768"

> Fatal server error:
> No valid modes found.

> X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

> ******************************************************

> Sounds to me like it's unhappy with the video configuration, right?

Right. Use Xconfigurator (or XF86Setup, or xf86config) to configure
it.
HTH.

Quote:

> However, I can't seem to find any information on how to tinker with the
> settings.

> I'd appreciate getting a clue.  It may take several clues before I catch on.

> John

--
=========================================================================

Laboratorio de Bases de Datos           http://emilia.dc.fi.udc.es/labBD
Facultade de Informtica               Universidade da Coru?a (Spain)
Debian 2.1 [2.2.13]                     Usuario Linux 124962
=========================================================================
 
 
 

Why wont gnone gwork?

Post by John Peschke » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


I've had a little success.

I tried reinstalling RH Linux (6.1) and I've got a GUI.  That's a step
forward.  Not sure what I chose different this time, but apparently I did
the right thing.

The trouble is, it's running in the multiple screens to the desktop mode.  I
hate that.  I found a place where I could make settings like that, but it
seemed to have no effect.  If I wasn't confguring gnome, I wonder what I WAS
configuring?  Caolor me stumped once again.  I'd appreciate it if someone
could point me in the right direction.


Quote:> Yes, I'm completely new to Linux, and have RedHat 6.1 installed.

> As I understand it, "startx" should get me into gnome, but it doesn't.
The
> errors are

> *******************************************************

> (--) SVGA: there is no mode definition named "1024x768"

> Fatal server error:
> No valid modes found.

> X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

> ******************************************************

> Sounds to me like it's unhappy with the video configuration, right?

> However, I can't seem to find any information on how to tinker with the
> settings.

> I'd appreciate getting a clue.  It may take several clues before I catch
on.

> John

 
 
 

Why wont gnone gwork?

Post by Marc Childre » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


I'm assuming that you are running Enlightenment along with gnome.  If so,
e-conf is probably what you are looking for.
-Marc Childress



> I've had a little success.

> I tried reinstalling RH Linux (6.1) and I've got a GUI.  That's a step
> forward.  Not sure what I chose different this time, but apparently I did
> the right thing.

> The trouble is, it's running in the multiple screens to the desktop mode.  I
> hate that.  I found a place where I could make settings like that, but it
> seemed to have no effect.  If I wasn't confguring gnome, I wonder what I WAS
> configuring?  Caolor me stumped once again.  I'd appreciate it if someone
> could point me in the right direction.



>> Yes, I'm completely new to Linux, and have RedHat 6.1 installed.

>> As I understand it, "startx" should get me into gnome, but it doesn't.
> The
>> errors are

>> *******************************************************

>> (--) SVGA: there is no mode definition named "1024x768"

>> Fatal server error:
>> No valid modes found.

>> X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

>> ******************************************************

>> Sounds to me like it's unhappy with the video configuration, right?

>> However, I can't seem to find any information on how to tinker with the
>> settings.

>> I'd appreciate getting a clue.  It may take several clues before I catch
> on.

>> John

 
 
 

Why wont gnone gwork?

Post by QuestionExchang » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


Hi!
There are many things you might do, and I will present you
to a few of these.
You can run the "setup" tool from the command line as
root, and choose "X configuration" from the menu.
This program will guide you through the process of
configuring X through the terminal.
You can run the "XF86Setup" which is a graphical front-end
for configuring X.
You can run "X -probeonly &> errorfile" and send all
technical information and some files to a person who
figures it out and send the corrected files back
If you are really into reading manuals and learning
everything about X you can read "man XF86Config" and
figure out the values yourself. Though this is very
hard if you are a beginner with Linux.
I suggest you follow the suggestions the way they are listed,
and make contact if the first two suggestions fail to work.
Good luck.
-JHF=

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com
  http://www.questionexchange.com/showUsenetGuest.jhtml?ans_id=6916&cus...

 
 
 

1. gnone task bar annoyance

Hi,

  Currently, when I have multiple windows open in gnome and I want
to switch between them (one being hidden behind another), on the
task bar, I have to right click on the program name and select
"show/hide", repeat, and then click on the windows that pops up to
active it.  What a pain!

  Does anyone know of a way to get the task bar to give me
a one click pop up and activate from the task bar?  (I know,
I am asking it to act like NT.  But, not everything in
NT stinks  -- just most of it.)

   Many thanks,
     --Tony

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Rotate logs

3. Install Ximian Gnone Desktop error

4. SCSI and IDE drive, how to boot?

5. Upgrade to XF86 v4.1.0 and GNONE has disappeared!

6. Help: Cirrus Logic 5446 PCi for Metro X

7. Gnone panel crashing at desktop startup

8. libXmu.so.6

9. Why wont my lilo install work?

10. why wont this post?

11. Why wont my 32v42 M1 disk do anything?

12. Why wont it Install?????

13. Why Wont X Run Unless I am Root?