Slackware setup, mount and upper-case

Post by R.M.Pettet » Wed, 10 Dec 1997 04:00:00

 But moments ago I burnt my own slackware 3.4 CDR in joliet iso9660 format
(allowing extended filenames)..

        [ISO9660 Extensions: Microsoft Joliet Level 1]
        [Max size:298891   Log zone size:2048        ]
        [First datazone:35   Root inode number 71680 ]

However, much to my horror when I tried to install from the slackware
setup program (on my current slackware 2 installation) it whinges that no
disk sets exist because the filenames were all burnt in capitals!! Ack!
Now I've played around with mount (version 2.7f) in an attempt to force a
translation from mixed case to lower case. It sounds as if it is possible
to do such a translation. The furthest I have tried is something like the
following:
        mount /dev/hdb /cdrom -onorock,check=r,map=n

But it still results in mixed case filenames. Is it possible to do this
using mount? (if not why not?) Or, with some rune-casting, with the
slackware setup program? (if not why not?)

I have considered rewriting the tagfiles, but i'd rather have mount do the
work, and I'd rather not bin the CD and do it again (plus i'd have to
rename all the files anyway)

This is a _really_ STUPID problem (and I can't figure out why only the
slackware stuff on my cdr was written in capitals!)

Thanks in advance,
 Roger

Slackware setup, mount and upper-case

Post by Jürgen Exne » Wed, 10 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Get a kernel, that supports joliet. Right now the CDROM will be mounted as
plain ISO9660 without any extension.
The patch for FAT32 at http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/people/chaffee/fat32.html
contains the joliet FS, too.

jue

--
Jrgen Exner; jurgenex AT microsoft.com
Sorry for this anti-spam inconvenience

> But moments ago I burnt my own slackware 3.4 CDR in joliet iso9660 format
>(allowing extended filenames)..

> [ISO9660 Extensions: Microsoft Joliet Level 1]
> [Max size:298891   Log zone size:2048        ]
> [First datazone:35   Root inode number 71680 ]

>However, much to my horror when I tried to install from the slackware
>setup program (on my current slackware 2 installation) it whinges that no
>disk sets exist because the filenames were all burnt in capitals!! Ack!
>Now I've played around with mount (version 2.7f) in an attempt to force a
>translation from mixed case to lower case. It sounds as if it is possible
>to do such a translation. The furthest I have tried is something like the
>following:
> mount /dev/hdb /cdrom -onorock,check=r,map=n

>But it still results in mixed case filenames. Is it possible to do this
>using mount? (if not why not?) Or, with some rune-casting, with the
>slackware setup program? (if not why not?)

>I have considered rewriting the tagfiles, but i'd rather have mount do the
>work, and I'd rather not bin the CD and do it again (plus i'd have to
>rename all the files anyway)

>This is a _really_ STUPID problem (and I can't figure out why only the
>slackware stuff on my cdr was written in capitals!)

>Thanks in advance,
> Roger

Slackware setup, mount and upper-case

Post by R.M.Pettet » Thu, 11 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I am currently running 2.0.30 with the FAT32 & joliet patch installed. The
problem is that the thing works too well! Some of the files on the CD
(anything _except_ the slackware stuff - Duh!) come out in mixed case, e.g.
"AfterStep-1.0.tar.gz" but the slackware stuff is in all-capitals. What
appears to have happened is that in the process of writing, my software took
filenames which were in all-lower-case and burnt them in all-upper-case
(really clever, eh?). What I'd really like to know (I think) is why I can't
get mount to force a translation for all filenames to lower-case, or force
slackware setup to accept files in either upper-case or perhaps mixed-case.

 Heh. Next time I'm just going to write in straight iso9660 without any
extensions!

> Get a kernel, that supports joliet. Right now the CDROM will be mounted as
> plain ISO9660 without any extension.
> The patch for FAT32 at http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/people/chaffee/fat32.html
> contains the joliet FS, too.

> jue

> --
> Jrgen Exner; jurgenex AT microsoft.com
> Sorry for this anti-spam inconvenience

--

Slackware setup, mount and upper-case

Post by R.M.Pettet » Thu, 11 Dec 1997 04:00:00

If anyone else out there is interested, the simplest solution appears to be to
temporarily disable VFAT  support in the kernel so it truncates all the
filenames to  "filena~<something>"  and also then reads the whole CD in
lower-case.

Pretty simple after all.  I still wonder why I couldn't force mount to read in
only lower-case though..
R.

1. CONVERTING lower-case to upper-case filenames?

        I'm transfering >50 megs of files from my flakey DOS machine to my
Linux machine over a serial line using zmodem. The flakey DOS machine crashes
every so often, so I need to use the crash-recovery features of zmodem.

        Unfortunately, DSZ on the DOS machine only sends upper-case
filenames, while RZ on the Linux machine writes lower-case filenames.
This means that when DSZ checks to see what files are already written, it
only looks for upper-case filenames, and because it doesn't see anything
it re-writes the files that were uploaded previously.

        I imagine that there's a way to rename all of the files on the Linux
machine (about 1000 of them) using a script. Anyone know how to do this?
"sed" seems like the proper tool, but I can't find any good
documentation on it.

        Much thanks to anyone who can help.

| Mark A. Pitcher |
                                                            "GUH!" - Bill Leeb

2. KDE styles disapeared

3. VI - Lower-case to Upper-case

4. Linux, wins and dhcp-dhcpcd problem...

5. mount CD or mounted files in upper case

6. Kill files

7. help with unwanted reverse DNS???

8. Upload from NS Gold -> UPPER-Case filesnames?

9. samba and NT: no upper-case filenames

10. Upper-Case Filenames on CD-Rom

11. AFPS Upper-case fix?