NIS client setup on RedHat 7.1

Post by SI » Wed, 12 Sep 2001 04:00:51

There are two issues with NIS setup. Even though I set it up as NIS
client correctly I couldn't access it as a NIS user. I then changed
all nisplus entries in /etc/nsswitch.conf to 'nis' and rebooted. Now I
can setup NIS (domainname and ypbind) and it works. But if I reboot
the machine the domainname goes away. I edited the
/etc/sysconfig/network file and added "NISDOMAIN=mydomain" at the end
and rebooted. This didn't solve the problem. How else can I make it
survive reboots?

thanks
SS

Post by Scott DeVau » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 05:04:32

> There are two issues with NIS setup. Even though I set it up as NIS
> client correctly I couldn't access it as a NIS user. I then changed
> all nisplus entries in /etc/nsswitch.conf to 'nis' and rebooted. Now I
> can setup NIS (domainname and ypbind) and it works. But if I reboot
> the machine the domainname goes away. I edited the
> /etc/sysconfig/network file and added "NISDOMAIN=mydomain" at the end
> and rebooted. This didn't solve the problem. How else can I make it
> survive reboots?

> thanks
> SS

Does ypserv and ypbind start automaticaly on bootup?

Post by Ravi » Sun, 14 Oct 2001 04:20:30

> > There are two issues with NIS setup. Even though I set it up as NIS
> > client correctly I couldn't access it as a NIS user. I then changed
> > all nisplus entries in /etc/nsswitch.conf to 'nis' and rebooted. Now I
> > can setup NIS (domainname and ypbind) and it works. But if I reboot
> > the machine the domainname goes away. I edited the
> > /etc/sysconfig/network file and added "NISDOMAIN=mydomain" at the end
> > and rebooted. This didn't solve the problem. How else can I make it
> > survive reboots?

> > thanks
> > SS

> Does ypserv and ypbind start automaticaly on bootup?

Scott,

     Remember for NIS Client you don't need ypserv daemon running.
You need only rpc service (portmapper) and ypbind.

     I also facing the same problem as above. Following is my /etc/yp.conf
file. By the way I also installed Redhat 7.1 under Gateway E5200.

# /etc/yp.conf file
domain <my-ypdomain> server <Master NIS Server IP Address>
ypserver <Master NIS Servers IP Address>

      Also I did add NISDOMAIN=my-ypdomain under /etc/sysconfig/network.
It didn't help. So as Sridhara said after the reboot the ypbind doesn't run
automatically. But portmapper is running automatically.

I could manually bring up the "ypbind" daemon by running
/etc/init.d/ypbind start, then it binds to the NIS Domain.

Any workaround / fixes are much appreciated.
Thanks
Ravi R.

NIS client setup on RedHat 7.1

Post by SI » Sat, 27 Oct 2001 01:08:28

Sorry for posting a reply this late. I finally did the following as
per suggestion from a tech at the place we bought the linux box from:

Edit /etc/rc.sysinit and add in the following
lines:

# Set the NIS domain name
if [ -n "$NISDOMAIN" ]; then
    action "Setting NIS domain name $NISDOMAIN" domainname $NISDOMAIN
else
    domainname ""
fi

right after the lines:

# Set the hostname.
action $"Setting hostname ${HOSTNAME}: " hostname ${HOSTNAME}

Sridhar

> > > There are two issues with NIS setup. Even though I set it up as NIS
> > > client correctly I couldn't access it as a NIS user. I then changed
> > > all nisplus entries in /etc/nsswitch.conf to 'nis' and rebooted. Now I
> > > can setup NIS (domainname and ypbind) and it works. But if I reboot
> > > the machine the domainname goes away. I edited the
> > > /etc/sysconfig/network file and added "NISDOMAIN=mydomain" at the end
> > > and rebooted. This didn't solve the problem. How else can I make it
> > > survive reboots?

> > > thanks
> > > SS

> > Does ypserv and ypbind start automaticaly on bootup?

> Scott,

>      Remember for NIS Client you don't need ypserv daemon running.
> You need only rpc service (portmapper) and ypbind.

>      I also facing the same problem as above. Following is my /etc/yp.conf
> file. By the way I also installed Redhat 7.1 under Gateway E5200.

> # /etc/yp.conf file
> domain <my-ypdomain> server <Master NIS Server IP Address>
> ypserver <Master NIS Servers IP Address>

>       Also I did add NISDOMAIN=my-ypdomain under /etc/sysconfig/network.
> It didn't help. So as Sridhara said after the reboot the ypbind doesn't run
> automatically. But portmapper is running automatically.

> I could manually bring up the "ypbind" daemon by running
> /etc/init.d/ypbind start, then it binds to the NIS Domain.

> Any workaround / fixes are much appreciated.
> Thanks
> Ravi R.

1. Problems installing NIS+ client on Linux RedHat 7.1

Hi,
I have just compiled and installed NIS+ client (1.4.1) on a new Linux
Red Hat 7.1.  Our server is a Solaris 7 Sparc server.

There seem to be a problem with the portmap when I start the nis+
client. Here are the network packets exchanged between the client and
the server :

client.domain -> server.domain PORTMAP C GETPORT prog=100300 (NIS+) vers=3 proto=TCP (retransmit)
server.domain -> client.domain PORTMAP R GETPORT port=32772
client.domain -> server.domain ICMP Destination unreachable (Bad port)

The commands executed on the client is as usual :
% domainname domain
% nisinit -c -H server.domain
And no I did not forget to put credentials for the client on the
server. So I think everything is right, except that the PORTMAP goes
crazy when it receives the answer from the server...

HELP ME PLEASE, or give me a pointer where to find the right
information. Does RedHat have support for this kind of problem?

Thanks in advance,
Daniel
--
Daniel Ouimet   Administrateur des systemes informatiques, CRM

Universite de Montreal, CRM,  C.P. 6128, succursale Centre-Ville
Montreal (Quebec) H3C 3J7, CANADA
(514) 343-6992        FAX: (514) 343-2254

2. Converter from PCL to PDF or GS or TiFF

3. Redhat 7.1 Setup Mailserver for mail clients

4. Defragger in Linux?

5. NIS Server and Clients Setup in RedHat 4.2

6. *** PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING *** (help-2.09)

7. NIS client setup with Redhat 6.0

8. ufsrestore

9. RedHat 7.1 and NIS+

10. NIS Automount failure on Redhat 7.1

11. NIS+ in RedHat 7.1

12. RedHat 7.1 as X client for Solaris 8 servers - font problem

13. Veritas NetBackup and Redhat 7.1 (xinetd) clients