sound works as root but not normal user

Post by Mal » Mon, 09 Apr 2001 14:06:56

I am using Mandrake 7.2 and when I login with KDE 2 under root, the sound
works just fine.  But if I login under my normal user, there is no sound at
all.  How can I get my sound to work for all users?  Thanks for any help.

-Mal

Post by Jan Eric Andersso » Mon, 09 Apr 2001 15:58:17

> I am using Mandrake 7.2 and when I login with KDE 2 under root, the sound
> works just fine.  But if I login under my normal user, there is no sound
> at
> all.  How can I get my sound to work for all users?  Thanks for any help.

Add the audio group to your user accounts.

Jan Eric

Post by Glitc » Mon, 09 Apr 2001 15:15:54

> I am using Mandrake 7.2 and when I login with KDE 2 under root, the
> sound works just fine.  But if I login under my normal user, there is no
> sound at all.  How can I get my sound to work for all users?  Thanks for
> any help.

make sure the permissions on all your appropriate sound devices are:
crw-rw-rw-

or for security conscious:
crw-rw---

1. program calls rcmd() twice, _second_ call works for root but not normal users

I have a hacked up version of rsh based on inetutils-1.4.2 which accepts
a list of hosts and runs the same command on each of them
(sequentially).  In other words, it does this in a loop:

   rem = rcmd (&host, sp->s_port, pw->pw_name, user, args, &rfd2);

where the host part changes but the other parts don't.  This is so
that I can do:

   rsh host1,host2,host3 whatever
     or
   rsh -f list_of_hosts  whatever

instead of

   rsh host1  whatever
   rsh host2  whatever
   rsh host3  whatever

Now the odd part: this modified rsh works just fine for root but for any
other user the rcmd call works once (for the first host) and
then gives a

   rcmd: socket: Permission denied

when it attempts a second rcmd call.  This is true even if host in
the second rcmd is the same as it was in the first rcmd.
Yes, the modified rsh is suid root, otherwise it wouldn't
even do the first rcmd call.

I tried adding

   shutstat=shutdown(rem, SHUT_RDWR);

so that the socket would be closed the second time around but it
made no difference.

Additionally, the exact same behavior is observed when rsh runs
on Mandrake 10.0 or Solaris 8.  It seems to be intrinsic somehow
in rcmd.

Can somebody please explain what is going on here???

Thanks,

David Mathog

2. Backwards, Ho! Changed to Commerical databases on linux/FreeBSD

3. java/43400: linux ibm jdk doesn't work for normal user, only work with root.

4. Solution for Installation of Solaris 8 Intel Version on Dell 4100

5. System sounds work for root, not for user

6. ICMP problems

7. Sounds work in root, but not in user

8. svgalib and dma problem

9. System sounds work in root, but not in user

10. System sounds work in root but not user

11. PROBLEM: Running X-11 as a normal user (not root)

12. Sound won't work for "normal" user

13. Q: lp commands do not work for normal user on SCO ODT 3.0 - why??