sometimes I get AnotherLevel, sometimes fvwm .... why??

sometimes I get AnotherLevel, sometimes fvwm .... why??

Post by Will Kailen Wrigh » Sun, 15 Mar 1998 04:00:00

i think the system default xinit is in the:
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/  dir.
try looking there.

sometimes I get AnotherLevel, sometimes fvwm .... why??

Post by Paul Winkl » Mon, 16 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hello world,

I have developed a strange problem with starting X. I'm using RedHat
5.0 with the default AnotherLevel configuration. When I do startx as
root, I get AnotherLevel. But when I log in as a user, I get X with a
generic FVWM configuration and one xterm. My first thought was that I
must have a different .xinitrc or .fvwmrc in my home directory-- but
there's none there! Neither root nor my user account have any
x-related rc files in their home directories.

It seems like startx is finding a  different "system-wide" rc file
depending on which user logs in. How could that be?

There is a file in my /root directory called Xrootenv.0. It seems to
consist of a listing of root's environment variables. I didn't create
this file; could it have something to do with what's going on? It's
not mentioned in any docs I've found so far. My user account has no
such file. I haven't noticed anything in it that looks relevant.

Ideas?

Help,

PW

Confused,

PW

Paul Winkler --- music & sound --- zarmzarm at hotmail dot com
                       a  member  of
ARMS --- an ongoing pop music experiment  --- our first album,
URBAN SUNDIAL  is now available.....on CD, vinyl, and cassette
from Label 12 13.........contact:     sonic113 at juno dot com

Also -- improvised & electronic music releases are coming real
soon, dirt cheap from plan B cassette works and label 12 13...

Post by Caspian Macle » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>Hello world,
>I have developed a strange problem with starting X. I'm using RedHat
>5.0 with the default AnotherLevel configuration. When I do startx as
>root, I get AnotherLevel. But when I log in as a user, I get X with a
>generic FVWM configuration and one xterm. My first thought was that I
>must have a different .xinitrc or .fvwmrc in my home directory-- but
>there's none there! Neither root nor my user account have any
>x-related rc files in their home directories.
>It seems like startx is finding a  different "system-wide" rc file
>depending on which user logs in. How could that be?
>There is a file in my /root directory called Xrootenv.0. It seems to
>consist of a listing of root's environment variables. I didn't create
>this file; could it have something to do with what's going on?

I don't know what that is, but then I haven't used RedHat.

Quote:> It's
>not mentioned in any docs I've found so far. My user account has no
>such file. I haven't noticed anything in it that looks relevant.
>Ideas?

Root usually has a different path, you can do
echo $PATH
to find out what it is if you want.  Use

which startx

once each as root and yourself to find out which file
is being run.  If they are different they might then
use different rc files.  If they are the same you
could read through it (I think it is a shell script)
to see if that explains anything, but that is a bit
harder.  If startx calls another program without
specifying its absolute path, you can use the which
command to see if root will run a different version,
e.g. I think it calls xinit, so:
which xinit

Quote:>Help,
>PW
>Confused,
>PW

I hope that helps.

Caspian.

Post by > » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>Hello world,

>I have developed a strange problem with starting X. I'm using RedHat
>5.0 with the default AnotherLevel configuration. When I do startx as
>root, I get AnotherLevel. But when I log in as a user, I get X with a
>generic FVWM configuration and one xterm. My first thought was that I
>must have a different .xinitrc or .fvwmrc in my home directory-- but
>there's none there! Neither root nor my user account have any
>x-related rc files in their home directories.

>It seems like startx is finding a  different "system-wide" rc file
>depending on which user logs in. How could that be?

>There is a file in my /root directory called Xrootenv.0. It seems to
>consist of a listing of root's environment variables. I didn't create
>this file; could it have something to do with what's going on? It's
>not mentioned in any docs I've found so far. My user account has no
>such file. I haven't noticed anything in it that looks relevant.

>Ideas?

The file that defines wm style is '.wm_style' if I am not wrong. You may
change windows managers from Start->Preference->WM Style. Hope this help.

Quote:>0

sometimes I get AnotherLevel, sometimes fvwm .... why??

Post by Paul Winkl » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Whoops!

Thanks very much everyone, for the suggestions. Caspian especially
helped me to eliminate a lot of possible causes:
all the "which"es turned out the same; all the rc files were the same;
nothing in the paths looked funny... no x-related dotfiles in either
/root or /home/pw ...  At this point I suspect bad permissions on the
system-wide rc files... nope, they look OK...

Well, I started x as pw, did a ps -af (which I just learned yesterday)
in an xterm, which clearly showed xinit starting fvwm rather than
fvwm95. Even though the same rc files are being read. OK, let's save
the output of ps to compare it to doing the same thing as root... ps
-af > xtest.txt ... and WHOOPS!! pw doesn't have write permission in
his own home directory!!!!

Duh.

I did a chown on /home/pw and it fixed the problem. ( It fixed another
mysterious problem too, that I thought was due to a buggy app!)

It seems I screwed up when adding pw to the system last week. I hadn't
noticed it yet because this is a new install and pw DID have write
permission in the few subdirectories where I have done any work while
logged in as pw.

The reason this affected starting X was that AnotherLevel needs to be
able to write the mysterious Xrootenv.0 file to your home directory,
or else it won't start. Since the system default fvwm2rc files were
calling for AnotherLevel to be the configuration used, fvwm2 was
unable to start; thus xinit defaulted to fvwm.

Strange mistake, eh?

thanks again,

PW

(snip)

Quote:>>It seems like startx is finding a  different "system-wide" rc file
>>depending on which user logs in. How could that be?

>>There is a file in my /root directory called Xrootenv.0. It seems to
>>consist of a listing of root's environment variables. I didn't create
>>this file; could it have something to do with what's going on?

>I don't know what that is, but then I haven't used RedHat.

>> It's
>>not mentioned in any docs I've found so far. My user account has no
>>such file. I haven't noticed anything in it that looks relevant.

>>Ideas?

>Root usually has a different path, you can do
>echo $PATH
>to find out what it is if you want.  Use

>which startx

>once each as root and yourself to find out which file
>is being run.  If they are different they might then
>use different rc files.  If they are the same you
>could read through it (I think it is a shell script)
>to see if that explains anything, but that is a bit
>harder.  If startx calls another program without
>specifying its absolute path, you can use the which
>command to see if root will run a different version,
>e.g. I think it calls xinit, so:
>which xinit

>>Help,

>>PW

>>Confused,

>>PW

>I hope that helps.

>Caspian.

Paul Winkler --- music & sound --- zarmzarm at hotmail dot com
                       a  member  of
ARMS --- an ongoing pop music experiment  --- our first album,
URBAN SUNDIAL  is now available.....on CD, vinyl, and cassette
from Label 12 13.........contact:     sonic113 at juno dot com

Also -- improvised & electronic music releases are coming real
soon, dirt cheap from plan B cassette works and label 12 13...

1. why does kde sometimes install to /opt/kde, and sometimes to /usr/local/kde?

hi all,

why does kde, when compiled from scratch, sometimes install in
/opt/kde, and othertimes to /usr/local/kde? when I first installed
kde2.0 it went to /opt/kde, now I am compiling and installing kde2.0.1
and it is going to /usr/local/kde. I don't really care where it goes
but I would like to know why this is happening?? thanks for any info!

cheers,

Mike

2. Newbie configuration question...

3. Sometimes the Euro works, sometimes it doesn't.

4. ANNOUNCE: C-Kermit 8.0.211

5. Hmmm...sometimes it prints, sometimes it doesn't...

6. coding style advice for sizeof (long) < sizeof (size_t)?

7. linux sometimes DOES and sometimes DOESN'T power off on shutdown

8. sed question

9. Modem: Sometimes I hear it, sometimes I don't

10. ErrorDocument directive sometimes works - sometimes not??

11. SCSI <-> 1.2GB MO Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't

12. PPP connects sometimes...sometimes not

13. Linux on ethernet, sometimes reachable, sometimes not.