syquest sparq as vfat disk

Post by Bill Weine » Thu, 22 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I'm running redhat 5.1 and I have a syquest sparq drive.  I've got it
working as an ext2 filesystem or as a msdos filesystem but I run into
some basic issue when I try to format for vfat or mount a vfat
filesystem.  I have an IDE internal sparq.

Trying to format I get:
mkfs -t vfat /dev/hdc
mkfs.vfat: No such file or directory

Trying to mount an existing win95 disk:
mount -t vfat /dev/hdc /mnt/sparq
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc,
             or too many mounted file systems

Any ideas on what my install of linux is missing or is it me?

--
Bill Weiner

syquest sparq as vfat disk

Post by Tom Fawcet » Thu, 22 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> I'm running redhat 5.1 and I have a syquest sparq drive.  I've got it
> working as an ext2 filesystem or as a msdos filesystem but I run into
> some basic issue when I try to format for vfat or mount a vfat
> filesystem.  I have an IDE internal sparq.

> Trying to format I get:
> mkfs -t vfat /dev/hdc
> mkfs.vfat: No such file or directory

> Trying to mount an existing win95 disk:
> mount -t vfat /dev/hdc /mnt/sparq
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc,
>              or too many mounted file systems

> Any ideas on what my install of linux is missing or is it me?

Try /dev/hdc1 instead of /dev/hdc.

-Tom

syquest sparq as vfat disk

Post by Bill Weine » Sat, 24 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> > I'm running redhat 5.1 and I have a syquest sparq drive.  I've got it
> > working as an ext2 filesystem or as a msdos filesystem but I run into
> > some basic issue when I try to format for vfat or mount a vfat
> > filesystem.  I have an IDE internal sparq.

> > Trying to format I get:
> > mkfs -t vfat /dev/hdc
> > mkfs.vfat: No such file or directory

> > Trying to mount an existing win95 disk:
> > mount -t vfat /dev/hdc /mnt/sparq
> > mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc,
> >              or too many mounted file systems

> > Any ideas on what my install of linux is missing or is it me?

> Try /dev/hdc1 instead of /dev/hdc.

> -Tom

Thanks Tom.  This worded!  Care to clue me in to what's going on?

--
Bill Weiner

syquest sparq as vfat disk

Post by Tom Fawcet » Sat, 24 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> > > I'm running redhat 5.1 and I have a syquest sparq drive.  I've got it
> > > working as an ext2 filesystem or as a msdos filesystem but I run into
> > > some basic issue when I try to format for vfat or mount a vfat
> > > filesystem.  I have an IDE internal sparq.

> > > Trying to format I get:
> > > mkfs -t vfat /dev/hdc
> > > mkfs.vfat: No such file or directory

> > > Trying to mount an existing win95 disk:
> > > mount -t vfat /dev/hdc /mnt/sparq
> > > mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc,
> > >              or too many mounted file systems

> > > Any ideas on what my install of linux is missing or is it me?

> > Try /dev/hdc1 instead of /dev/hdc.

> Thanks Tom.  This worded!  Care to clue me in to what's going on?

I'll have to make up an explanation.

/dev/hdc refers to the entire disk, and /dev/hdc1 to its first partition.
My guess is that certain operations expect a hard disk to be partitioned
and need the partition device.  Apparently the vfat filesystem support
does.  I don't know the details -- maybe someone else can explain better.

Regards,
-Tom