Help with Avance Logic video card.

Post by K.M.Kenne » Wed, 07 Feb 1996 04:00:00

 Hi
  I have an avance logic video card and have managed to run X in
800x600 mode, has anyone moanaged to get it running in higher resolutions
with the right update speed? We have the same card (ALG2301) in one of
the dos machines and it can cope with higher resolutions.

            thanks

                 Kevin

Help with Avance Logic video card.

Post by Lyndon Hi » Thu, 08 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi
>  I have an avance logic video card and have managed to run X in

 <SNIP!>

using WWW: http://www.avance.com should give you evrything you need.
My 2302 is running fine in 1024x768 but I can't help thinking there
aren't quite the right amount of colours and the screen should be more
on the left; but you can't have everything....

lyndon hill

Post by Louis POT » Thu, 08 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>  Hi
>   I have an avance logic video card and have managed to run X in
> 800x600 mode, has anyone moanaged to get it running in higher resolutions
> with the right update speed? We have the same card (ALG2301) in one of
> the dos machines and it can cope with higher resolutions.

>             thanks

>                  Kevin

I use one with success in 1024x768

I use Xfree86 3.1.2b with 1.2.13 kernel from slackware 3.0

I got alfx31.zip package from www.avance.com. In this package, you'll
find the drivers and an XF86config sample file.

The drivers are already included in SVGA X server in Xfree86 3.1.2b, so I
just put the config file from avance.com, and all works fine.

--
Louis POTY              |  Just some words for |

From Strasbourg, FRANCE |    ( An old dream)   |

Post by Neil McBenne » Mon, 19 Feb 1996 04:00:00

> Hi
>  I have an avance logic video card and have managed to run X in
>800x600 mode, has anyone moanaged to get it running in higher resolutions
>with the right update speed? We have the same card (ALG2301) in one of
>the dos machines and it can cope with higher resolutions.

I have the same card and the same problem.. If you get any joy with
this, I'd appreciate some help too
Many thanks
Neil McBennett

Post by Theofilu Andre » Sun, 25 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>> Hi
>>  I have an avance logic video card and have managed to run X in
>>800x600 mode, has anyone moanaged to get it running in higher resolutions
>>with the right update speed? We have the same card (ALG2301) in one of
>>the dos machines and it can cope with higher resolutions.

>I have the same card and the same problem.. If you get any joy with
>this, I'd appreciate some help too
>Many thanks

It is possible to use this card with a resolution of 1024x768x256. I've
exactly this card and it works fine. What do you need:

1) get XFree86 v3.1.2 or better
2) put the following lines to the section [Section "Device"]:

      Identifier "Avance Logic ALG2301"
      VendorName "ALI"
      BoardName "ALG2301"
      Chipset "ali2301"

3) bother with the "ModeLine"'s in the section "Monitor". Here are 2
   lines that at least work with my monitor (110MHz bandwidth):

      ModeLine "1024x768" 75 1024 1048 1184 1328 768 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync
      ModeLine "1024x768" 80 1024 1056 1360 1392 768 768 780 806

This chipset is only in the XFREE_SVGA-driver supported.

Hope that helps...
--
Theofilu Andreas

                           Enjoy the science of Linux!
                       Genie?e die Wissenschaft von Linux!

Post by p.. » Tue, 27 Feb 1996 04:00:00

: > Hi
: >  I have an avance logic video card and have managed to run X in
: >800x600 mode, has anyone moanaged to get it running in higher resolutions
: >with the right update speed? We have the same card (ALG2301) in one of
: >the dos machines and it can cope with higher resolutions.

: I have the same card and the same problem.. If you get any joy with
: this, I'd appreciate some help too
: Many thanks
: Neil McBennett

The only trick is manually setting 'Chipset' in device stanza to 'ali1301'
after using xf86config. The X -probeonly will then find 16 clocks and up to
1024x768 will work. But I am getting a minor problem. After X is started,
all virtual consoles are messed up, all displayed characters get their 7th bit
set to '1'. 'reset' cannot fix it, and the problem remains after X terminates.

Post by Theofilu Andre » Tue, 27 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>: > Hi
>: >  I have an avance logic video card and have managed to run X in
>: >800x600 mode, has anyone moanaged to get it running in higher resolutions
>: >with the right update speed? We have the same card (ALG2301) in one of
>: >the dos machines and it can cope with higher resolutions.

>: I have the same card and the same problem.. If you get any joy with
>: this, I'd appreciate some help too
>: Many thanks
>: Neil McBennett

>The only trick is manually setting 'Chipset' in device stanza to 'ali1301'
>after using xf86config. The X -probeonly will then find 16 clocks and up to
>1024x768 will work. But I am getting a minor problem. After X is started,
>all virtual consoles are messed up, all displayed characters get their 7th bit
>set to '1'. 'reset' cannot fix it, and the problem remains after X terminates.

This is true, but can be fixed! Simply reload the card with one of the
available fonts. Use the following command line for example:

   setfont  /usr/lib/kbd/consolefonts/mod_d.fnt

You can try another font if you don't like this one. Insert that
command as the last one in the file /usr/X11/bin/startx.

Hope that helps...
--
Theofilu Andreas

                           Enjoy the science of Linux!
                       Genie?e die Wissenschaft von Linux!

1. Help with set-up of Avance Logic video card

Hi,

I am trying to setup Linux on a PC at work which has a video card with
Avance Logic 2564 chipset. The nearest driver available in my Suse 6.0
"snapshot" is for the Avance logic 2401 chipset. I can only get the card
to work in the generic 640x480x4-bit VGA mode which is not sufficient.

Has anyone succeded in tuning XF89Config to at least give 800x600x8-bit
video? The monitor is a Compag V55.

Thanks in advance!

--
Regards

Neoklis
My (ex-Acorn) RiscOS Homepage: http://www.arcsite.de/hp/neoklis

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. Do you need to register your DNS PC name to internic just like registering a www site?

3. avance logic video card drivers

4. where to find default twmrc

5. Avance Logic Video Card

6. SUN CC und STL

7. Linux plus Avance Logic video card?

8. trap and exit status

9. Avance Logic Video Card

10. avance logic video card drivers

11. Avance Logic video card with X11R6

12. Avance Logic ALG2301 Video Card

13. Avance Logic Accelerator AG320X Video Card