XFree86 start up problems

Post by Dr. Albert Hy » Thu, 15 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Over the last weekend, I finally installed the XFree86 binaries.
My system is:
      XFree86 Version 3.1.1 / X Window System
      Operating System: Linux version 1.2.0 (gcc version 2.6.2)
      Mach32: Monitor ID: "Nanao F550i": card type: localbus (486)
When I executed startx with the following in .xinitrc:
      #!/bin/sh
      xterm -fn 7x13bold -geometry 80x32+10+50 -ls &
      xterm -fn 9x15bold -geometry 80x34+30-10 -ls &
      oclock -geometry 70x70-7+7 &
      xsetroot -solid midnightblue &
      exec twm

two xterm windows and a clock are displayed.  The following message:
     _setutent: Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory
is repeated three times at the top of each window?  The last line is
a standard prompt and things seems to be working as they should.
There is a /etc/utmp file.  What is the problem and how do I fix it?

When I exit the windows, the following addition messages are displayed:
  X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
  xinit:  connection to X server lost.
  waiting for X server to shut down xterm:  fatal IO error 2 (Broken pipe) or
   KillClient on X server ":0.0"
  xterm:  fatal IO error 2 (Broken pipe) or KillClient on X server ":0.0"

  _setutent: Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory
               (repeated 8 times)

Should I be concerned?  What must I do to correct these problems?

Regards,
Albert

XFree86 start up problems

Post by Dr. Albert Hy » Fri, 16 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Over the last weekend, I finally installed the XFree86 binaries.
>When I executed startx, two xterm windows and an oclock were displayed.
>The following message is repeated 3 times at the top of each window?
>    _setutent: Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory

}   Try adding the following symbolic link:
}             ln -s /etc/utmp /var/adm

After adding that symbolic link the utmp problem disappeared.

I also wrote that when I exited the windows, that I observed more
messages relating to (Broken pipe)'s.  Several persons wrote
that "they can be ignored."  I found that they go away if all
of the xterm windows are closed (via a unix exit command)
before exiting from twm via (cntl-alt-backspace) or clicking
on the Exit line in the Twm window.

Regards,
Albert