RH v6.0 with Diamond Speedstar A50 & KDS VS-19sn - Help with X setup ...

RH v6.0 with Diamond Speedstar A50 & KDS VS-19sn - Help with X setup ...

Post by Altaf Rupan » Sat, 15 May 1999 04:00:00

I got this new machine with a Diamond Speedstar A50 (8MB) and a KDS
VS-19sn monitor. I tried to install RH linux 6.0 on it , everything
seems to be going fine till I reach the X installation. I choose the
card from the card database with the right chipset. I am prompted not to
select any clock chip settings so I don't. The monito isn't listed in
the monitors database so I choose custom. Enter the frequencies
manually. The next screen tells me that Xconfigurator will test my
settings and the screen blinks (which the prompt tells me is normal)
after that I the screen goes blank with only the mouse cursor visible
which can be moved. The Xconfigurator comes back to tell me that I have
some problems with my configuration and takes me back to the monitor
definitions. I have tried it will all the choices listed in the monitors
database but still the same.

So I weent ahead with the faulty X config and completed the
installation. Now when I run startx it the X server starts but most of
the GNOME screen has no colours, but I can see parrts of it eg: the
toolbar at the bottom.

Any suggestions what I should do ?? New to Linux, and the exp till now
has been terrible.

Thanks
-Altaf

RH v6.0 with Diamond Speedstar A50 & KDS VS-19sn - Help with X setup ...

Post by Edwin Chaco » Sat, 15 May 1999 04:00:00

rerun the XF86Config and ...choose.the clockdhip setting..

> I got this new machine with a Diamond Speedstar A50 (8MB) and a KDS
> VS-19sn monitor. I tried to install RH linux 6.0 on it , everything
> seems to be going fine till I reach the X installation. I choose the
> card from the card database with the right chipset. I am prompted not to
> select any clock chip settings so I don't. The monito isn't listed in
> the monitors database so I choose custom. Enter the frequencies
> manually. The next screen tells me that Xconfigurator will test my
> settings and the screen blinks (which the prompt tells me is normal)
> after that I the screen goes blank with only the mouse cursor visible
> which can be moved. The Xconfigurator comes back to tell me that I have
> some problems with my configuration and takes me back to the monitor
> definitions. I have tried it will all the choices listed in the monitors
> database but still the same.

> So I weent ahead with the faulty X config and completed the
> installation. Now when I run startx it the X server starts but most of
> the GNOME screen has no colours, but I can see parrts of it eg: the
> toolbar at the bottom.

> Any suggestions what I should do ?? New to Linux, and the exp till now
> has been terrible.

> Thanks
> -Altaf

RH v6.0 with Diamond Speedstar A50 & KDS VS-19sn - Help with X setup ...

Post by alanw.. » Tue, 18 May 1999 04:00:00

I had the same problem with SpeedStar A50 video card. In fact, this
video card can ONLY run on 24-bit color mode. If you have defined 24-bit
color mode setting in your XF86Config file. Then you can start X by
putting in '-bpp 24' option.

Quote:> I got this new machine with a Diamond Speedstar A50 (8MB) and a KDS
> VS-19sn monitor. I tried to install RH linux 6.0 on it , everything
> seems to be going fine till I reach the X installation. I choose the
> card from the card database with the right chipset. I am prompted not
> select any clock chip settings so I don't. The monito isn't listed in
> the monitors database so I choose custom. Enter the frequencies
> manually. The next screen tells me that Xconfigurator will test my
> settings and the screen blinks (which the prompt tells me is normal)
> after that I the screen goes blank with only the mouse cursor visible
> which can be moved. The Xconfigurator comes back to tell me that I
have
> some problems with my configuration and takes me back to the monitor
> definitions. I have tried it will all the choices listed in the
monitors
> database but still the same.

> So I weent ahead with the faulty X config and completed the
> installation. Now when I run startx it the X server starts but most of
> the GNOME screen has no colours, but I can see parrts of it eg: the
> toolbar at the bottom.

> Any suggestions what I should do ?? New to Linux, and the exp till now
> has been terrible.

> Thanks
> -Altaf

RH v6.0 with Diamond Speedstar A50 & KDS VS-19sn - Help with X setup ...

Post by dwang99 » Tue, 06 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I got exactly the same problem. From the RedHat Support web site, there is
a FAQ specifically addressing AGP cards. It says most AGP cards are not
supported, except three types. ATI RAGE II series is on of the three that
is suppported. I just changed my Diamond SpeedStar A50 with a ATI Rage IIc
card, then went through the XF86Config. It works fine with the new card.

I guess there is no easy fix unless you change  your card.

-Dong

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

RH v6.0 with Diamond Speedstar A50 & KDS VS-19sn - Help with X setup ...

Post by je.. » Sun, 18 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

   You can get more info from www.xfree.org and you'll see that sis6326
has support in X_SVGA which is the Xserver needed for the A50.  If you
don't want to replace your A50 or you can't, try modifying the
XF86Config file as follows, but don't forget to specify the frequencies
just like the users manual of your monitor in the proper section:

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Diamond A50 AGP"
    VendorName  "Diamond"
    BoardName   "SIS6326"
    VideoRam    8192
    Option "sw_cursor"
    Option "no_accel" # Use this if acceleration is causing problems
EndSection
  AND...
Section "Screen"
    Driver      "svga"
    # Use Device "Generic VGA" for Standard VGA 320x200x256
    #Device      "Generic VGA"
    Device      "Diamond A50 AGP"
    Monitor     "My Monitor"
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes       "1024x768" "800x600" #"1280x1024"
        ViewPort    0 0
        Option "no_bitblt"
        Option "no_imageblt"
        Option "power_saver"
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       8
        # Omit the Modes line for the "Generic VGA" device
        Modes       "1024x768" "1280x1024" "800x600"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16
        Modes       "800x600" "1024x768" "1280x1024"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       32
        Modes       "800x600" "1024x768" "1280x1024"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
EndSection

If you want to use 16bpp or 24bpp you can type: #startx -- -bpp 16 (or
24)
Right now my setup works good, but I have some little problems like
having Netscape's buttons in black, though I can use gimp and electric
eyes to see great images. I'm still working on this, but I think you can
try searching harder in deja.com to find some people's setups that work.

Cheers,
Amilkar Duarte
Queretaro, MEXICO

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/