S.u.S.E. install does not have my CD-ROM

S.u.S.E. install does not have my CD-ROM

Post by Ezekiel Krahl » Thu, 21 May 1998 04:00:00

Hello. I purchased S.u.S.E. Linux 5.2, because I have been told it is
the most user friendly Linux version of all. And it just arrived this
morning. However, right at the beginning of install, to my dismay, my
CD-ROM was not on the list of CD-ROMs to select! They only have three
EIDE selections, with the rest all SCSI. What happened to my "sbpcd"
option I expected? Of course, when I select any EIDE option, Linux
says it can't mount my CD-ROM.

I have test-installed both Slackware and Redhat, prior to
S.u.S.E....so I know very well that the "sbpcd" CD-ROM should be
recognizable. In fact, it is even listed as acceptable, in their own
S.u.S.E. manual! But nowhere is there an answer in the manual, as to
how to install, using the "sbpcd" option. (Likewise for their online
help docs at www.suse.com.)

Did someone make a mistake here, by neglecting to include "sbpcd" on
the selection list of CD-ROMs? I can't believe they did this! After
all, knowing for sure that my type of CD-ROM is definitely acceptable
in Linux...I never dreamed their "user-friendly" S.u.S.E. installation
would leave this out!

I am stuck without knowing what to do about this...and rather
disappointed. Is anyone familiar with installing S.u.S.E. 5.2 from
CD-ROM? Thanks in advance.

---
My web site kicks (but never*s) butt!
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Post by Klaus G Wagn » Thu, 21 May 1998 04:00:00

>Hello. I purchased S.u.S.E. Linux 5.2, because I have been told it is
>the most user friendly Linux version of all. And it just arrived this
>morning. However, right at the beginning of install, to my dismay, my
>CD-ROM was not on the list of CD-ROMs to select! They only have three
>EIDE selections, with the rest all SCSI. What happened to my "sbpcd"
>option I expected? Of course, when I select any EIDE option, Linux
>says it can't mount my CD-ROM.

Could you tell us more specificly how far into the installation
you are? I assume here that you're still within linuxrc.

After booting from the installation disk, a RAM disk is loaded and
the first program to be started is linuxrc. It includes some menus
for settings of language, keyboard etc, loading modules and other
things. All this happens prior to the first access of the CD-ROM.

The RAM disk contains a lot of kernel modules, which can be loaded
upon user's request. In the linuxrc main menu this is the menu entry

     Kernel Modules (hardware drivers)

Here you need to load the sbpcd module. Just enter this menu and
choose

     Load CDROM Module

and you'll be offered the sbpcd (among many others).

Quote:>I am stuck without knowing what to do about this...and rather
>disappointed. Is anyone familiar with installing S.u.S.E. 5.2 from
>CD-ROM? Thanks in advance.

Best wishes for good success
                                Klaus

--

  PGP (1024/D7A16B1D) = 42 5B CD ED EC E7 8F 50 C0 B0 14 1E 3B 9F DC 08
"Linux was made by foreign terrorists to take money from true

1. CD-ROM not detected by linux after CD-ROM install

Hello

    I installed a Rage Fury 128. Upon the first bot into linux It asked to
uninstall the old video drivers -- went fine.
Then it asked to install the drivers for the card, which it detected and
identified perfectly.  It asked for the location of the source files and
gave the options of CD or Filesystem. I don't know where they would be
located on the filesystem, so I said CD. It returned with "Unable to mount
CD-ROM". I hit cancel and got shot back to the initial File location list
with CD, Filesystem, and Cancel. after several tries, it was obvious that
jiggling the wires wouldn't fix this and now Linux is unusable because when
the GUI would normally come up I now have a blank screen with occasional
hard-drive activity. I put the old card back in, identification and
configuration was perfect, (it didn't ask for the CD), but now my CD-ROM is
still not being mounted. The BIOS and Win2K are both finding the CD without
a problem.

The CD-ROM is the Master on Secondary Controller. Is a Funai X285E.

    In Win2K the CD is fine with no difficulties at all. Any
suggestions?

    In a separate, unrelated issue, Linux will not find my Soundcard. I have
a classic Soundblaster 16 ISA card for universal compatibility, but it
doesn't recognize it all. I assume this is because it is an ISA card and I
need to configure it manually. Unfortunately I am *very* new to Linux and do
not know how to do this. (Yes I've ordered "Running Linux, 2nd Ed.", but it
will not be here for a few days.)

    I would greatly appreciate any advice that could be offered. I still
have the old video card if it will be required.

Thank you,
Jesse

2. Latest IPC lock patch- 2.5.44

3. Having problems with NEC Versa 4050H laptop install (removable CD-ROM)

4. Printing to Citizen PRINTiva600C

5. Can't install Yggdrasil summer 94 CD-ROM with SCSI-1 CD-ROM

6. looking for SUN RTU/MEDIA (solaris 2.5)

7. SuSE 6.2 install loses CD-ROM interrupt=>freezes

8. Anybody know anything about SWMtool?

9. Can't Install SuSE 5.1 from Creative Labs CD-ROM

10. ANNOUNCE: S.u.S.E. Linux 5.2 CD-ROM $1.95

11. Is it possible to install Linux w/o CD-ROM onto DOS system?

12. Install from a non-bootable DOS CD-ROM + floppy?

13. SuSE 8.0 - Lost control over floppy, Cd-rom, Cd-recorder...