another question with xcdroast, previous problem solved

another question with xcdroast, previous problem solved

Post by Bernar » Tue, 02 Jan 2001 00:08:35

Hi there,

I did find the reason of my late error message : "The TOC of this CD
reports an impossible track size...". There is, in xcdroast, a feature
that is somewhat confusing. If you press the "verify burnt CD" right
after a simulation, it does not reckognize the CD and speaks out said
error message. Once this has happened, the CD is wasted and you have to
throw it out.

I then made a test in not making use of the verify button after
simulation ; I did physically burn the cd and verified only afterwards.
this time, it worked... but not as I would have expected. The verify
function says :

"verify failed !    Files differ on block 17 !"

However, the burnt cd is readable in either one of my two cdrom drives ;
I can find the copied files, open them etc... There must be some wrong
files somewhere, but I haven't discovered them yet.

I understand that the reason of such failure may be on the burning speed
(X2), but, what I would like to know is how to carry a check on the
simulated burnt image rather than on the burnt cd, when it is too late.
As previously said, the "verify burnt image" on a simulated burnt image
fails and wastes the CD.

Thanks for any hint

and Happy New Year to everyone !

Post by Bill Unr » Tue, 02 Jan 2001 06:05:22

]files somewhere, but I haven't discovered them yet.

]I understand that the reason of such failure may be on the burning speed
](X2), but, what I would like to know is how to carry a check on the
]simulated burnt image rather than on the burnt cd, when it is too late.
]As previously said, the "verify burnt image" on a simulated burnt image
]fails and wastes the CD.

You cannot verify a simulated burn. Nothing was burned. Tehre is nothing
on the CD to verify. It is still a blank pristine CD waiting to have
something written to it, untouched by a laser.

xcdraost (the latest .98) has a little bar while the burning is going on
which shows how full your FIFO is. It should sit up there around 90%. If
it drops repeatedly to less than 50% you should worry.
I burn CDs at 8x ( bigger than 2x) on a P233 machine with no trouble. Not ssure what
yours is, but 2x should not be the problem unless you are running
someting in the background.
This is the ONLY reason for simulation-- to see if the fifo stays
relatively full during a burn, or whether you are burning faster than
your system can handle.
(Note that xcdroast .98test8, the latest, has a bug where when burning
audio tracks it briefly shows the buffer as empty (0%) between tracks.
This should not happen, as it is not true. So if it sits at 90-100% and
just dips to 0% each time the new track is sarted to burn, do not worry
about that. It is the dips to 30% or whatever during the burning of a
track that should worry you.

Note, I do not know what you think your CD is wasted. It should simply
have come back with an error message, since the CD has nothing burned on
it at all. Ie, you should still be able to use that CD to burn an image
onto it.

Post by Bernar » Tue, 02 Jan 2001 06:32:13

> ]files somewhere, but I haven't discovered them yet.

> ]I understand that the reason of such failure may be on the burning speed
> ](X2), but, what I would like to know is how to carry a check on the
> ]simulated burnt image rather than on the burnt cd, when it is too late.
> ]As previously said, the "verify burnt image" on a simulated burnt image
> ]fails and wastes the CD.

> You cannot verify a simulated burn. Nothing was burned. Tehre is nothing
> on the CD to verify. It is still a blank pristine CD waiting to have
> something written to it, untouched by a laser.

> xcdraost (the latest .98) has a little bar while the burning is going on
> which shows how full your FIFO is. It should sit up there around 90%. If
> it drops repeatedly to less than 50% you should worry.

The 0.96 version does not have that, but it displays a report saying how many times the
buffer was not full. Every time, it said that it was empty 0 times... So it should be
OK... still it isn't...

Quote:

> I burn CDs at 8x ( bigger than 2x) on a P233 machine with no trouble. Not ssure what
> yours is, but 2x should not be the problem unless you are running
> someting in the background.

nothing running in the background. My machine is a Cyrix P200+ (equivalent to a pentium
P166)

Quote:

> This is the ONLY reason for simulation-- to see if the fifo stays
> relatively full during a burn, or whether you are burning faster than
> your system can handle.
> (Note that xcdroast .98test8, the latest, has a bug where when burning
> audio tracks it briefly shows the buffer as empty (0%) between tracks.
> This should not happen, as it is not true. So if it sits at 90-100% and
> just dips to 0% each time the new track is sarted to burn, do not worry
> about that. It is the dips to 30% or whatever during the burning of a
> track that should worry you.

> Note, I do not know what you think your CD is wasted. It should simply
> have come back with an error message, since the CD has nothing burned on
> it at all. Ie, you should still be able to use that CD to burn an image
> onto it.

My CD is wasted. Something must be burnt in it. Once it went through such missed
processed, it is no longer reckognised as a valid support for cd writing, even when
using a Windows driver on Windows environment. Once I have called the "verified burnt
image" on a non burnt CD, I can no longer do anything with it.

another question with xcdroast, previous problem solved

Post by Gene Hesket » Tue, 02 Jan 2001 03:08:52

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Bernard ;

Quote:> Hi there,
> I did find the reason of my late error message : "The TOC of this CD
> reports an impossible track size...". There is, in xcdroast, a
> feature that is somewhat confusing. If you press the "verify burnt
> CD" right after a simulation, it does not reckognize the CD and
> speaks out said error message. Once this has happened, the CD is
> wasted and you have to throw it out.
> I then made a test in not making use of the verify button after
> simulation ; I did physically burn the cd and verified only
> afterwards. this time, it worked... but not as I would have
> expected. The verify function says :
> "verify failed !    Files differ on block 17 !"
> However, the burnt cd is readable in either one of my two cdrom
> drives ; I can find the copied files, open them etc... There must be
> some wrong files somewhere, but I haven't discovered them yet.
> I understand that the reason of such failure may be on the burning
> speed
> (X2), but, what I would like to know is how to carry a check on the
> simulated burnt image rather than on the burnt cd, when it is too
> late. As previously said, the "verify burnt image" on a simulated
> burnt image fails and wastes the CD.

Excuse me?  If you were doing a dummy burn, the laser is turned off, and
the cd itself is untouched, so it should not be wasted.  If thats not
the case, and you did have the dummy turned on, then something is
drasticly wrong with either your driver or the burner itself.
The compare is of course going to fail since the cd wasn't burnt, just
all the other stuff was done, checking for things like buffer underuns
etc.

That said, I did use xcdroast for a while, but its incorporation of
internal versions of mkisofs and cdrecord can be both a blessing and a
prisoners ball and chain.  The blessing is that its dead stable.  I
first recompiled it to use the newer versions, but the gui itself only
knows about what the older versions can do, so thats a waste of time and
effort.

I've been using GToaster (aka Gnome Toaster) because that allows one to
update cdrecord etc, 95% of the time without breaking anything.  Its
also being developed at a higher pace than xcdroast with at least 4
releases in the last half of '00 to date, 12 hours to go here.

Cheers, Gene
--

        email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net
#Amiga based X10 home automation program EZHome, see at:#

Post by Bill Unr » Wed, 03 Jan 2001 05:32:25

]That said, I did use xcdroast for a while, but its incorporation of
]internal versions of mkisofs and cdrecord can be both a blessing and a
]prisoners ball and chain.  The blessing is that its dead stable.  I
]first recompiled it to use the newer versions, but the gui itself only
]knows about what the older versions can do, so thats a waste of time and
]effort.

The latest version of xcdroast (.98test8) does allow the inclusion of
the new cdrecord (1.9 I think) etc. It also allows the use of more of
the properties of cdrecord ( bootable disks especially).

]I've been using GToaster (aka Gnome Toaster) because that allows one to
]update cdrecord etc, 95% of the time without breaking anything.  Its
]also being developed at a higher pace than xcdroast with at least 4
]releases in the last half of '00 to date, 12 hours to go here.

Well, xcdroast I think has had about 8 but then those are "test
versions. Until test6, the author advised sticking with .96 but now he
advises switching even though .98 is not yet finished. It works well-- a
few cosmetic bugs (The audio play says it is playing a new track but
keeps playing the old one in certain conditions, the fifo buffer report
reports an empty buffer between tracks, when it is not empty) Not that
I have tried GToaster.
-- Just did Certainly a very different layout from xcdroast, and the
cdplayer software has a hard time keeping the buffer fulll- all sorts of
glitches in the playing of a file. (woops that was the ESD sound system,
the OSS seems to work much more reliably).

So many possibilities. Isn't Linux frustrating and great. It reminds me
of collegues from Russia who visited me in the late 70's. The would go
into a department store and just wander for hours unable to buy anything
because there was so much choice.

another question with xcdroast, previous problem solved

Post by Gene Hesket » Wed, 03 Jan 2001 08:39:45

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Bill Unruh;

 BU> Well, xcdroast I think has had about 8 but then those are "test
 BU> versions. Until test6, the author advised sticking with .96 but
 BU> now he advises switching even though .98 is not yet finished.

I take it not all of these have been advertised on Freshmeat then, I
don't recall that many, 3 maybe.

 BU> It
 BU> works well-- a few cosmetic bugs (The audio play says it is
 BU> playing a new track but keeps playing the old one in certain
 BU> conditions, the fifo buffer report reports an empty buffer
 BU> between tracks, when it is not empty) Not that I have tried
 BU> GToaster.
 BU> -- Just did Certainly a very different layout from xcdroast, and
 BU> the cdplayer software has a hard time keeping the buffer fulll-
 BU> all sorts of glitches in the playing of a file. (woops that was
 BU> the ESD sound system, the OSS seems to work much more reliably).

Thats something I hadn't tried at all, I use xmms for all that, and with
an SBLive, its not OSS or ESD dependant, using emu10k1 built as a module.

 BU> So many possibilities. Isn't Linux frustrating and great. It
 BU> reminds me of collegues from Russia who visited me in the late
 BU> 70's. The would go into a department store and just wander for
 BU> hours unable to buy anything because there was so much choice.

Thats a pretty darned good description, Bill.

Part of my problem is that I tend to only dig into what has immediate
utility for me, or possibly at the tv station.  The other part is of
course the limited number of hours in a day that I can honestly say that
what I do is a learning experience, at 66 they seem to be getting
scarcer, which is at times quite frustrating.

Cheers, Gene
--

        email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net
#Amiga based X10 home automation program EZHome, see at:#
# <http://www.thirdwave.net/~jimlucia/amigahomeauto> #
ISP's please take note: My spam control policy is explicit!
#Any Class C address# involved in spamming me is added to my killfile
never to be seen again.  Message will be automaticly deleted without dl.
This messages reply content, but not any previously quoted material,
is ? 2000 by Gene Heskett, all rights reserved.
--

1. xcdroast 0.95d-e problem +/- solved ;-)

Linux Slack 3.4, Kernel 2.0.36-2.0.35, xcdroast 0.96d-e, HD 7200i drive.

After had builded the kernel 2.0.36 with the setings recomended, like scsi-
  emulation, no ATAPI-CD, etc... xcdroast d and e still resusing to run or
  run sometime, with is the strangest issue...!
Worth, after some tests users can run and even do a burn test with success
  but if root runs the prog _NOTHING_ happens! The prog window do no appear
  nome message, just this at /var/adm/messages:

kernel: ide-scsi: hdc: unsupported command in request queue (0)
kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00, sector 0
kernel: ide-scsi: hdd: unsupported command in request queue (0)
kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 16:40, sector 0
modprobe: can't locate module block-major-33
modprobe: can't locate module block-major-33
modprobe: can't locate module block-major-34
modprobe: can't locate module block-major-34
modprobe: can't locate module block-major-8
last message repeated 7 times

The answer? Build a 2.0.35 kernel with no module, all build IN the kernel,
  install it as an alternative boot and xcdroast will run 98% of the time.
  Ican occurs yet that you call the prog and nothing happens agian... Just
  kit that process and run it again. Why? do not ask me!!

2. Monitor clicking under X

3. Samba problem solving story and more question

4. How to config kvt so that I can use my left mouse button to highlight and select text more than one window terminal text when pressing down left button and pull down or up from terminal.

5. problem with printer device file solved, another question about it

6. Suggestions for increasing my storage space, please...

7. Strange XDM problem solved; one more question

8. NT backup of NFS

9. Xcdroast and Cdplayer Questions

10. Xcdroast question

11. xcdroast - stupid question?