BUG IN DYNAMIC LINKER and system doesn't boot!

BUG IN DYNAMIC LINKER and system doesn't boot!

Post by Elis » Fri, 07 Feb 2003 21:43:38

I get the following message on a 2-processor 550 MHz with RedHat 6.2, kernel
2.2.14 (or maybe 2.2.16, I'm not sure):

BUG IN DYNAMIC LINKER ld.so: dynamic-link.h: 57: elf_get_dynamic_info:
Assertion `! "bad dynamic tag"' failed!

The system responded to telnet requests with this message, without even
prompting for username. It was also impossible to log in from the console:
when entering a username, the console just cleared and went back to
requesting a username. I tried to reboot with Alt-Ctrl-Del, and the system
didn't come up again. It stops right after trying to start the
...rc.d/...network script, after having printed the same linker message
several times (e.g. when trying to mount the /proc filesystem).

Unfortunately the person who set up the system has left the company long ago
and noone knows details about its setup. The only hope is that we have
another system with identical setup that works ok, in case we need to copy
some config files. On the other hand, could it be a hardware problem? It
happened suddenly, without any change to machine config or installation of
any package. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help

Vangelis Natsios

Post by Nils Petter Vaskin » Fri, 07 Feb 2003 23:56:26

> I get the following message on a 2-processor 550 MHz with RedHat 6.2,

[snip description of problem]

I think you need to get hold of a linux expert in your area and contract
him to help you, this sort of thing would need physical access to the
machine if you want to fix it.

Quote:> Unfortunately the person who set up the system has left the company long
> ago and noone knows details about its setup.

6.2 is fairly old, if noone has touched the machine since I doubt it's up
to date on bug and security fixes. (and since noone knows the details I
assume noone has updated anything). If the machine is somehow connected
to the Internet (directly or through your LAN) it's a security risk, and
the problems you experience might be the result of a sloppy cracker
screwing up your system.

Have you tried to boot into single user mode? Try to type linux single at
the boot: prompt when you boot the machine. If that works you could try
to run fsck to check for filesystem errors.

You could get hold of one of the boot-from-cd linux distributions and run
fsck, chkrootkit and look at the varius logs under /var/log if you want
to try yourself.

Anyway you should seriously consider upgrading to a later version of
linux, and only try to retrive important files and configuration data
from your installation.

Quote:

> Thanks in advance for any help

Don't know if this was helpful but you're welcome anyway

Quote:

> Vangelis Natsios

NP

1. help:kernel panic on boot, 'can't load dynamic linker '

I am installing slackware 3.0, kernel 1.2.13 from an ATAPI CD-ROM.
My system is a Zeos 90Mhz Pentium with 16 MB Ram and two hard drives.
I am installing LINUX on the 850 MB hard drive.  After booting
with the idecd boot disk, I simply hit enter when the boot: prompt
appears.  When the system prompts for a root disk, I insert the
root disk and hit <enter>.  However the message "corrupted input"
appears and the system hangs with the message indicating a kernel
panic.  I was able to partially correct the problem by entering
"mount root=/dev/fd0" at the boot: prompt.  The system then appears to
work fine.  I am able to install all the files, create swap space, etc.
However, when I am prompted to make a LILO disk, the system hangs and
scrolls the message "ls:  can't load dynamic linker '/lib/ld.so' and
hangs.  I am unable to come up with a solution and would appreciate
any help from anyone who is familiar with this problem.

--
David J. Blackstone
Northwestern University, Evanston, IL.   USA

2. DSL Dialup (Atlanta and vicinity)

3. BUG IN DYNAMIC LINKER .."bad dynamic tag".

4. RedHat 5.0 Networking problem

5. dynamic loading: linker bug w.r.t. --export-dynamic ?

6. KDE 3.1 and Shift-Ins

7. Can't load dynamic linker '/lib/ld.so'

8. Ensoniq ES1371 Installation

9. can't load dynamic linker '/lib/ld.so'

10. DIP:can't load dynamic linker '/lib/ld.so'

11. Can't load dynamic linker '/lib/ld.so' message

12. Flakey startup problem: bug in dynamic linker