Web Server with a Serious Performce problem...HELP!!!!

Web Server with a Serious Performce problem...HELP!!!!

Post by c » Sun, 26 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hi all -

I've gotten myself into a "pickle" and need some useful advise!

I've been pushing very hard for my company to switch from an NT
Web server to a Linux based system.

I've been given some hardware ("left over parts") and have
been tasked with make a Linux Web server that can "Do The Job"

Pentuim 133 mhz
64 Meg Ram
1.2 gig drive (128 meg of swap)

I've got a version of RedHat up with the latest Apache server.
The system is on a VERY quiet 10baseT lan.

When I try and get some web stuff served up, it takes way to long!
I've copied some pages from my "other server" in California (I'm in
New Hampshire) to the Linux box, and I can (from the same
browser) reload the stuff from accross the US about 10 times
faster then from accross the room.

I'm not sure what I have (or haven't) setup that could hurt the
through put this much. when doing things locally on the machine
(not browsing, because I can't get Netscape to run, keeps giving me
a "bus error")) the system seems to run "fine".

Any suggestions as to how I might maximize my through put
when servicing network traffic, would be helpful.

I have 6 "sleeping" httpd's running, and when I request
stuff to be served, only 1 or 2 of them go live, and the box isn't
doing "anything else".

I've not "tweaked" ANY of the system config (ie cache, buffers,
etc...), because I'm not sure which ones I should be messing with.

I KNOW that this bix should "scream", but right now the only
"screamming" is ME!

Help!!!

post and/or email

Thanks in advance

cg
Technical Opportunity
---------------------
http://www.techops.com/

Web Server with a Serious Performce problem...HELP!!!!

Post by David Manda » Mon, 27 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Check out your network card, make sure its not the source of your problems. My
server was slow at one point and it was collisions on the ethernet card.

>Hi all -

>I've gotten myself into a "pickle" and need some useful advise!

>I've been pushing very hard for my company to switch from an NT
>Web server to a Linux based system.

>I've been given some hardware ("left over parts") and have
>been tasked with make a Linux Web server that can "Do The Job"

>Pentuim 133 mhz
>64 Meg Ram
>1.2 gig drive (128 meg of swap)

>I've got a version of RedHat up with the latest Apache server.
>The system is on a VERY quiet 10baseT lan.

>When I try and get some web stuff served up, it takes way to long!
>I've copied some pages from my "other server" in California (I'm in
>New Hampshire) to the Linux box, and I can (from the same
>browser) reload the stuff from accross the US about 10 times
>faster then from accross the room.

>I'm not sure what I have (or haven't) setup that could hurt the
>through put this much. when doing things locally on the machine
>(not browsing, because I can't get Netscape to run, keeps giving me
>a "bus error")) the system seems to run "fine".

>Any suggestions as to how I might maximize my through put
>when servicing network traffic, would be helpful.

>I have 6 "sleeping" httpd's running, and when I request
>stuff to be served, only 1 or 2 of them go live, and the box isn't
>doing "anything else".

>I've not "tweaked" ANY of the system config (ie cache, buffers,
>etc...), because I'm not sure which ones I should be messing with.

>I KNOW that this bix should "scream", but right now the only
>"screamming" is ME!

>Help!!!

>post and/or email

>Thanks in advance

>cg
>Technical Opportunity
>---------------------
>http://www.techops.com/

/*************************************************************
 David Mandala      Them Productions       San Francisco, CA

*************************************************************/

Post by Ulrich Eckhard » Tue, 28 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> Hi all -

> I've gotten myself into a "pickle" and need some useful advise!

> I've been pushing very hard for my company to switch from an NT
> Web server to a Linux based system.

> I've been given some hardware ("left over parts") and have
> been tasked with make a Linux Web server that can "Do The Job"

> Pentuim 133 mhz
> 64 Meg Ram
> 1.2 gig drive (128 meg of swap)

> I've got a version of RedHat up with the latest Apache server.
> The system is on a VERY quiet 10baseT lan.

Hi,

is your Ethernet card maybe a poor NE2000 clone ? If so try a good
card maybe a 3Com.

Also check that your Motherboard can cache the whole 64MB of memory.
Check also that the Turbo switch is set correctly. Check your
bogo mip rate (should be around 66 BogoMips).

Uli
--

Truly great madness can not be achieved without significant
intelligence. (Henrik Tikkanen)

Web Server with a Serious Performce problem...HELP!!!!

Post by George Csahan » Mon, 10 Feb 1997 04:00:00

I had the same thing happen once...was a dns problem. server looking for
dns...

Quote:

>I have 6 "sleeping" httpd's running, and when I request
>stuff to be served, only 1 or 2 of them go live, and the box isn't
>doing "anything else".

>I've not "tweaked" ANY of the system config (ie cache, buffers,
>etc...), because I'm not sure which ones I should be messing with.

>I KNOW that this bix should "scream", but right now the only
>"screamming" is ME!

1. Serious Serious problem

I have installed Linux and added Lilo, and all went well up until the
Lilo prompt, where it prints LI and hangs with the hard drive light
on.  My question is this:  without completely destroying my drive, how
can I remove Lilo from the disk itself?  I don't remember off hand
whether it's written to the boot record or the superblock - it's late
and I've been wrestling with this all day.  I have a dos partition on
there as well and if I boot from floppy I can access the disk ok, so I
am holding out for some miracle somewhere.  Please, if anyone has any
suggestions, email me please?

(and for those Linux gods and gurus - forgive me, I'm a recovering
Windows user.)

2. scsiinfo for Solaris 10

3. pl/sql cusror state using Oracle web agent, web server & database server

4. RE :SEARCH FOR CLIENT SERVER EXPERTS

5. NT Web Server : Seeking beta testers for Windows 95, Windows NT Web Server

6. Tcl/Tk 8.0b2 Install question, Linux 2.0.30

7. Can A Web Server connect to another Web Server ....??

8. Diamond Viper 770D driver for Linux/XFree86 w/ OpenGL support?

9. Linux Web server vs. Sun web server?

10. Directing Win2K Web Server to a Linux Web Server

11. Sun Web Server and JAVA Web Server

12. web server problem please help

13. NT Web Server problem accessing Novell drives. HELP!!!!