Setting Up Printcap For HP850C

Post by Peter Whelerto » Sat, 17 May 1997 04:00:00

We have Slackware V2.0.29 and are having some problems trying to set up
the printcap entry in order to print ASCII text files (which contain
Epson escape sequences) to an HP850C.

We have downloaded magicfilters from the web and tried with deskjet,
laserjet and epson filters none of which work. In fact, the only way we

printcap or do lp -Plp -Fl. Otherwise lp refuses to print with the
message "Unprintable file". When we do 'file' on the text file in
question it comes back with HP PCL file but there are no PCL codes in
there.

When we do have this xt option in the printcap all the output comes out
on one line likes it needs CR turning into CR/LF. Simple text files like
printing out /etc/hosts are fine.

Could anyone enlighten us as to the blazingly obvious step that we are
missing here. It surely can't be this difficult.

--
Paul Ainscough
Merryweather Management Systems Ltd

Post by Drath » Mon, 19 May 1997 04:00:00

>We have Slackware V2.0.29 and are having some problems trying to set up
>the printcap entry in order to print ASCII text files (which contain
>Epson escape sequences) to an HP850C.

>We have downloaded magicfilters from the web and tried with deskjet,
>laserjet and epson filters none of which work. In fact, the only way we

>printcap or do lp -Plp -Fl. Otherwise lp refuses to print with the
>message "Unprintable file". When we do 'file' on the text file in
>question it comes back with HP PCL file but there are no PCL codes in
>there.

>When we do have this xt option in the printcap all the output comes out
>on one line likes it needs CR turning into CR/LF. Simple text files like
>printing out /etc/hosts are fine.

>Could anyone enlighten us as to the blazingly obvious step that we are
>missing here. It surely can't be this difficult.

you should try apsfilter.  i've got an hp855C (almost identical to the
850C) and i've gotten it to work wonderfully with apsfilter.  printing is
slower than in winblows, because the filter prints only in high quality
(for b/w at least - color is medium quality).  other than that, it works
great.  when you install it, have it use the cdjcolor filter (best one
for the 850/855) and all you'll have to do is 'lpr filename'

enjoy