XF86 Server error: could not open default cursor font 'cursor' PLEASE HELP!

XF86 Server error: could not open default cursor font 'cursor' PLEASE HELP!

Post by Darren P Whi » Tue, 10 Oct 1995 04:00:00

I've installed Slackware 3.0.0 and gotten everything _but_ XWindows up
and running.  Everything about XWindows install went without a hitch and
I installed all the options/fonts.  I've edited config files and done
evrything I can find in the docs, BUT...

When I startx, everything runs along smoothly until I get:

Fatal server error
could not open default cursor font 'cursor'
xinit: No such file or directory

If possible, i'd like to find out where this file is _supposed_ to live.
Or, _where_ I can set the cursor font to find a useable one...

All help mucho appreciado!

Darren White
Would-be XWindows User

1. Fatal server error: Could not open default cursor font 'cursor' ?

Hello,

I just rebooted my Red Hat Linux 8.0 box recently and got the following
message:

Fatal server error:
Could not open default cursor font 'cursor'

I note that xfs is running and that the fonts.conf file references the
"/usr/X11R6/X11/fonts directory. I further note that I have in my
"/usr/X11R6/X11/fonts/Type1" directory the file "cursor.pfa". However I
do note that every other file in that directory has a corresponding .afm
file and there is no "cursor.afm".

Does it require one? Is this likely the root of my problem? If so, what
is the easiest way to dig one up? Also, what is the likeliest cause of
its disappearance (so I don't run into this problem continually...)?

If the cursor file doesn't customarily have a .afm file, does anybody
recognize the message, what it represents, and what should be done about
it?

Unfortunately, I have restarted several times so I don't even have a
good bootlog to compare against at this point...

Ralph

2. Patches for ATI/XL mouse driver to fix clicking bug

3. Fatal Server Error: could not open default font 'fixed'

4. Fax/AnswerMachine App?

5. Help: XFree86 startx error "could not open default font 'fixed'"

6. Rack console

7. Fatal server error: couldn't open default font 'fixed'

8. pppd problems------------>One answer and maybe some help---- - pppd answers.ZIP (0/1)

9. startx => Fatal server error => couldn't open default font 'fixed'

10. Font Problem: could not open default font 'fixed'

11. Debian Woody: X-error: could not open default font 'fixed'

12. HELP: Could not open default font 'fixed'