To get my PGP key send mail with subject "Send PGP key"
>> I have just put linux red hat 5.1 on my computer. I set it up so I could
>> boot in to ether windows 3.11 or linux. I want to know it I can upgrade my
>> windows 3.11 to windows 95, will that mess up my linux?
>It should not. But LILO might be damaged. Have a Linux boot disk at hand to
>boot linux and reinstall lilo.
> To get my PGP key send mail with subject "Send PGP key"
I'm in the process of upgrading the hard disk in a laptop which dual
boots Redhat linux and Windows 95. Can I do the following:
1) Backup Windows (mounted at /dosc) and Linux filesystems with tar
onto another computer.
tar -cf /mnt/root.tar /
tar -cf /mnt/win.tar /dosc
2) Install new hard drive.
3) Install Redhat on new drive, leaving a spare partition for Windows.
4) Get critical files back into Liunx from root.tar
5) Somehow create and format the Windows partition.
6) Mount the new partition under Linux (say at /dosc) and put the
Windows files in win.tar back into /dosc.
7) Make LILO boot the windows partition.
In particular I want to know how to do part (5) and whether using tar
for part (6) will put files in the places that windows expects. If
tar won't do the job, is there any application which will (the windows
partition won't be the same size on the new drive so it isn't just a
case of copying the partition image)?
Many thanks for any help.
| Chris Murphy: Department of Mechanical Engineering, |
| University of Bath, Claverton Down, Bath BA2 7AY, UK |
| TEL : +44 1225 826826 ext 5558 FAX : +44 1225 826928 |