upgrading to windows 95

Post by John Cav » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have just put linux red hat 5.1 on my computer. I set it up so I could
boot in to ether windows 3.11 or linux. I want to know it I can upgrade my
windows 3.11 to windows 95, will that mess up my linux?

upgrading to windows 95

Post by Patrick Mondo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I have just put linux red hat 5.1 on my computer. I set it up so I could
> boot in to ether windows 3.11 or linux. I want to know it I can upgrade my
> windows 3.11 to windows 95, will that mess up my linux?

I'm assuming you have LILO on your MBR.  If you install Win 95 it will think
it is the only OS on your systems, thus overwriting your MBR.  You just need
to create a Linux boot disk...install Win 95 and then edit the lilo conf file
and reestablishes LILO on the MBR.  Good Luck!

upgrading to windows 95

Post by Georg Ortman » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I have just put linux red hat 5.1 on my computer. I set it up so I could
> boot in to ether windows 3.11 or linux. I want to know it I can upgrade my
> windows 3.11 to windows 95, will that mess up my linux?

It should not. But LILO might be damaged. Have a Linux boot disk at hand to
boot linux and reinstall lilo.

--
Regards

   To get my PGP key send mail with subject "Send PGP key"

upgrading to windows 95

Post by Michael Per » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>> I have just put linux red hat 5.1 on my computer. I set it up so I could
>> boot in to ether windows 3.11 or linux. I want to know it I can upgrade my
>> windows 3.11 to windows 95, will that mess up my linux?

>It should not. But LILO might be damaged. Have a Linux boot disk at hand to
>boot linux and reinstall lilo.

>--
>Regards

>   To get my PGP key send mail with subject "Send PGP key"

Sometimes the simple act of installing a printer driver will make windows do
its absurd mbr thing.  I have a system booting BEos and win98 and often I
have to boot the BEos boot disk and rerun the boot mangler in BEos to get
its boot manager back in the mbr booting either windows or BEos.

--
Michael Perry

------------------

1. Rebuild Windows 95 from Linux after hard disk upgrade?

I'm in the process of upgrading the hard disk in a laptop which dual
boots Redhat linux and Windows 95.  Can I do the following:

1) Backup Windows (mounted at /dosc) and Linux filesystems with tar
   onto another computer.
        tar -cf /mnt/root.tar /
        tar -cf /mnt/win.tar /dosc

2) Install new hard drive.

3) Install Redhat on new drive, leaving a spare partition for Windows.

4) Get critical files back into Liunx from root.tar

5) Somehow create and format the Windows partition.

6) Mount the new partition under Linux (say at /dosc) and put the
   Windows files in win.tar back into /dosc.

7) Make LILO boot the windows partition.

In particular I want to know how to do part (5) and whether using tar
for part (6) will put files in the places that windows expects.  If
tar won't do the job, is there any application which will (the windows
partition won't be the same size on the new drive so it isn't just a
case of copying the partition image)?

Many thanks for any help.

--Chris Murphy

--
|     Chris Murphy: Department of Mechanical Engineering,     |
|     University of Bath, Claverton Down, Bath BA2 7AY, UK    |

2. Adding hdd to linux box

3. X-window software for Windows/Windows 95

4. XConfig for S3 Vision864 & Sony 15sf ?

6. IEC Device for SCO UNIX/XENIX

7. WINDOWS 95 A FLOP! GET HAMILTON 95!!!

8. Q. about Solaris filesystem and VM caching

9. Running OSE 5.0 and Windows 95 (How To Print To Local Win 95 Printer)

10. Re WINDOWS 95 A FLOP! GET HAMILTON 95!!!

11. WINDOWS 95 A FLOP! GET HAMILTON 95!!!

12. Multi-boot success with Windows 95, Windows NT 4, Linux, OS/2 boot manager