Wit's end question -- files go to print spooler and are never printed

Wit's end question -- files go to print spooler and are never printed

Post by John A. Thoma » Mon, 25 Aug 1997 04:00:00

I have Red Hat version 4.1a from Work Group Solutions installed.  When I
send a file to the printer using lpr, the df and cf files are spooled to
the _parent_ directory of my the spool directory (/var/spool/lpd) and
are _never_ sent to the printer.  lpq says the printer is off line or
busy, neither of which is true.

1.  The printer is connected and on line:  cat [filename] >/dev/lp1
works.  It's a TI laser printer in HP mode.  I've also tried a
dot-matrix  printer.

2.  My printcap file seems to be correctly set up:
        lp|hp:\
                :lp=/dev/lp1:\
                :sh:\
                :sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp:\
                :mx#0

3.  The required files exist:  lock .seq errs status

I can't believe printing in Linux can be this difficult, but I've
corresponded with others having the same problem, using other
distributions of Linux.  Since some of you are obviously printing, there
must be a solution.  Thanks in advance for any tips.

John Thomas

1. FPC Setup "Free Pascal Compiler, I am at wit's end"

I wish to correctly setup my Free Pascal Compiler. The documentation refers
to a .ppc386.cfg file that sets the compiler options so that they do not
have to be typed every compile. I have tried everything to get it to run
from the file. I cannot even tell it it is reading the *&^* .cfg file or
not. Every thing works great if I specify the search paths on the command
line.

I am trying to join an Open Source team but I wan't my stuff to be right
before beginning.

BTW I am using bash.

I have even tried exporting the file paths in bash_profile this is not
working either.

Cliff

2. Problem redirecting stderr+stdout in rsh script

3. What TCP port is used for AIX printing to print server via spooler?

4. POSIX clocks & timers take 2

5. "cancel (print-job)" jams spooler from printing other docs???

6. Slackware 3.6 Setup

7. Can't fax using efax and print spooler in RH7.0

8. Anyone know how to generate Ierr and Oerr packet errors

9. Rel 5 SPOOLER won't print

10. print spooler won't start

11. output via the print spooler to a file

12. HP-710c prints, but does not end and page does not go out completly

13. Print Spooler Question