Partitions and filesystems

Post by Carl Hans » Thu, 06 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I have a 2G IDE HD on which I have put an extended partition
containing one DOS and 4 Linux logical partitions.  When I first load
Linux, all partitions check OK.  On subsequent boots of Linux, 'can't
find a valid MSDOS filesystem on dev 0x0305' is reported.  No file has
been written to the DOS partition yet, but scandisk now returns an
error in the FAT. Repairing the FAT  and reformatting the DOS
partition lets Linux find the MSDOS filesystem again, but on
subsequent boots the same thing occurs.

The extended partition was established by DOS fdisk, the DOS logical
partition was placed next, and the Linux partitions were added with
Linux fdisk.  "V" option is Linux partition returns overlap warnings
for the logical partitions, but no amount of moving the logical
partition boundaries to separate them, e.g 50MB apart, gets rid of the
overlap warnings.

Is this partitioning the cause of the first problem?
How can I partition this drive properly to have about a gig of DOS
with a Linux boot partition below cyl 1023, followed by some  Linux
partitions?  I have tried to set it up as follows:
DOS ~495M
Linux boot 4-8M
DOS~500M
3 to 5 Linux