Compaq Presario 1640

Post by Scott Savare » Sun, 06 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Is there anyone who can please help me install linux on my Compaq presario
1640 laptop? I have been trying to install Redhat 5.1 onto the laptop, however
when it attempts to mount the cd-rom drive (which is an IDE atapi cd-rom) it
gives me a "mount failed: invalid arguement" error. Can anybody please help?

If you have installed a different type of linux (ie slackware, etc) can you
please tell me how you did it as well. I really want to put linux on my
laptop. It has Win98 and it really is a pathetic OS.

Thank You,
Scott Savarese

1. compaq presario 1640 cdrom device driver

I have a compaq 1640 laptop with a CD-ROM and I am trying to get the CDROM to
actually work. It spits out a bunch of errors whenever I try to mount anything
or doing anything with it. I have a feeling that the problem is that the cdrom
is not completely ATAPI complient, although Compaq tech support says it is
(funny if it was then why does Win98 need a special driver).

So I want to write a device driver to get it to work. I posted an E-mail to
this newsgroup before asking advice on how to write one, and somebody's advice
was to send this post.

I would like to know if somebody has already written a driver that solves this
problem, in which case can I get a copy, or are currently developing now. If
this is the case could I offer my assistance in testing or development.

If somebody else as written a driver for a similar problem in another
computer, can I get a copy of the driver to see a basic idea of what has to
get done...

Thanks for the help,
Scott

--

2. Release: GNU wdiff 0.5

3. Modem Help - Compaq Presario 1640 Laptop

4. PIIX4: IDE trouble

5. Installing onto a Presario 1640

7. Using Future domain TMC-1640 scsi controller

8. Slackware 3.5 Problems

9. Adaptec AHA-1640 - does it work?

10. Does Adaptec AHA-1640 scsi work?

11. using an amstrad 1640 as a dumb terminal

12. epson 1640 scanner

13. Solaris 2.6 and a Xyplex 1640