Redhat 5.0 install problem, Error occurred while installing bootloader

Redhat 5.0 install problem, Error occurred while installing bootloader

Post by bnc.. » Mon, 28 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hello all,

I've been trying to install RedHat 5.0 on a notebook but I keep getting problems when I attempt to install the bootloader.  I keep getting "error occurred while installing bootloader" messages.

The notebook:
        Compaq Concerto with 12MB memory
        540 MB Western Digital Hard drive
        I usually try to form three partitions
                / [linux native]
                swap partiton
                /dos [dos partition]

I'm aware of a Linux howto page for notebooks & laptops at www.cs.utexas.edu, but that wasn't of any use.

Any suggestions as to how to get around this problem would be greatly appreciated...

b c

Post by Ben Russ » Mon, 28 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Hello all,

> I've been trying to install RedHat 5.0 on a notebook but I keep getting problems when I attempt to install the bootloader.  I keep getting "error occurred while installing bootloader" messages.

> The notebook:
>         Compaq Concerto with 12MB memory
>         540 MB Western Digital Hard drive
>         I usually try to form three partitions
>                 / [linux native]
>                 swap partiton
>                 /dos [dos partition]

> I'm aware of a Linux howto page for notebooks & laptops at www.cs.utexas.edu, but that wasn't of any use.

> Any suggestions as to how to get around this problem would be greatly appreciated...

> b c

check the RedHat pages for newer versions of the boot.img and support.img
diskette images.

I know that there have been many fixes made to the installation programs on those
disks.

Ben.

1. Installing Redhat 5.0-error installing bootloader

HI folks,

as this is the last step, if I cancel and reboot, the IDE HD yields NO
OPERATING SYSTEM, but the /dev/hda won't boot and is active as root.
LOADLIN root=/dev/hda1 won't work either...

I tried this with Druid and with FDISK... no luck getting thru it all.  I
get the error:  An error occurred during step "Install Bootloader of the
install..."

I'm stumped....how can I tshoot if the OS was installed correctly.  I've
disabled bios a/v cks, have plenty of HD space, etc.

Brent

2. Using Linux- FreeBSD as a server to connect to windows machines

3. RedHat 5.0 Bootloader Install Bug DEFEATED! :)

4. *xterm function key translations

5. Wanted: Non-preformat manpages for Slackware 2.2

6. Error "Install bootloader" RH 5.0 & 6.0

7. POSIX.1b Timers

8. Red Hat 6.0 install errors: "Install bootloader"

9. Error occurs when installing RedHat Linux 6.2

10. RedHat On Dell L500 - Error Installing Bootloader

11. Redhat 5.2 Install Bootloader error

12. BootLoader problem with RedHat 4.0 install