modprobe: can't locate char-major-4 what did i do wrong

modprobe: can't locate char-major-4 what did i do wrong

Post by Yorkshi » Tue, 22 Jun 1999 04:00:00

ok, what did i do wrong?
i'm learning fast but i'm still pretty much a newbie at this stuff
i get this message a load of times on startup now, since i made a
2.2.10 kernel.
anyone help?

email to ix (at) doxx (dot) net

thanks in advance

Dave

Post by Michael Per » Thu, 24 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>ok, what did i do wrong?
>i'm learning fast but i'm still pretty much a newbie at this stuff
>i get this message a load of times on startup now, since i made a
>2.2.10 kernel.
>anyone help?

>email to ix (at) doxx (dot) net

>thanks in advance

>Dave

Take a look at /etc/conf.modules.  I had to alias char-major-4 off in
/etc/conf.modules.  This got rid of the messages for me.

--
Michael Perry

-----------------

Post by Robert C. Paulsen, Jr » Mon, 12 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Yorkshire  writes:
> > ok, what did i do wrong?  i'm learning fast but i'm still pretty
> > much a newbie at this stuff i get this message a load of times on
> > startup now, since i made a
> > 2.2.10 kernel.
> > anyone help?

> You forgot to compile in the support for your serial port.

Equally as likely it is compiled directly into the kernel instead of
as a module but conf.modules still has it "activated".

If this is the case, change (in /etc/conf.modules, or in some cases
/etc/modules.conf)

from:   alias char-major-4        serial
to:     alias char-major-4        off

Robert Paulsen                         http://paulsen.home.texas.net
If my return address contains "ZAP." please remove it. Sorry for the
inconvenience but the unsolicited email is getting out of control.