Thinking to add LINUX to WARP 3/DOS multi-boot system

Thinking to add LINUX to WARP 3/DOS multi-boot system

Post by Arie Kazach » Sun, 24 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Hello!

I'm beginning to think about adding LINUX as a third OS to my current dual
boot system (WARP 3 or DOS) and I would like to know what surprises
can wait for me on the hardware front and also, what steps should I
take in order to install LINUX without affecting the other OSes (exept the
obvious size reduction of one partition and creation of a new one, with
Partition Magic 2.03). My current system is:

Bought: August 95.
Board:  double Pentium board PB5800B (by MITAC) with 512K async B.W.T. cache.
        Chipset VL82C590, by VLSI.
CPU:    one P-120
Memory: 32MB
Disks:  1GB SCSI, IBM DPES 31080, SCSI ID: 0, partitions: C:,D:,E:.
        4GB SCSI, IBM DCAS 34330, SCSI ID: 2, partitions: F.
Controller:     NCR PCI SCSI 53C810, not on board, jumpered to use
                INTRA, level triggered, connected to IRQ11.
Video:  ATI Mach64 GPT 1600 4MB VRAM, DAC: IBM 514, driver: ATI, v2.01.
        Doesn't have EEPROM.
Sound:  SB16 (Vibra16) with IDE port set up as secondary.
        The sound chip uses port 220 and IRQ5.
CD:     Creative CD-220E connected as master to the secondary IDE
        port of the SB16, drive G:.
Tape:   HP C1533A, SCSI ID: 3.
Modem:  USR Sportster 28.8K set up as COM3/IRQ7
I/O:    Standard IDE+FDC+serial+parallel+game card with only FDC,
        serials and parallel enabled. COM1 and COM2 use standard IRQs.

Monitor: Eizo (formerly Nanao) Flexscan T57S.
I'm running WARP 3 fullpack, Hebrew version, at Fixpack-17 level.

What special procedures should I take when I'll buy the second CPU
in order to have SMP system? Does it matter what is done first:
updating the OS to be SMP capable while running on one CPU and just
turning it off, adding CPU and turning it on or the other way around?

Among the pieces of hardware mentioned above, what can you say about
LINUX drivers avaliability and support from the manufacturers?
I'm also about to buy a printer (probably HP color deskjet series)
and a flatbed scanner (probably also HP), so the previous question
relates to them too.

What native LINUX applications exist for the following uses:

1)      Electrical engineering: drawing/simulating analog and digital
        circuits.

2)      Compilers: I currently have IBM VAC++ 3.0 for OS/2. What
        comparable LINUX products exist?

3)      Other programmer/hacker tools like hex-editors, assemblers,
        disassemblers, de*s, etc.?

4)      Internet acces:
        News reader (I currently use EmTec news reader).
        Web browser (I currently use WebEx in most cases and NS/2
                    for web-shopping or to access pages with frames).
        e-mail (I currently use Ultimail lite).
        FTP client (I currently use FTP-PM).
        IRC (I currently use PMIRC).
        Telnet (I have it native OS/2 but the last time I used was
               over a year ago).

5)      Some not too fancy editor (word processor?). And if it'll
        allow me to write in Hebrew, it would be great.

6)      Phone-book app. that can dial. (I currently use PhoneBoy).

7)      Faxing software. (I currently use FaxWorks lite).

8)      Simple geographical program that can measure distances
        between various points on the globe. (I currently use PMGLOBE).
        More than simple program that can show more detailed map
        of any point on earth, up to the topographical map scale
        is something I can still only dream about.

9)      Some "reference" programs, like units translators, elements
        table, etc.

10)     Multimedia: I currently have WAV recorder/player and
        a players for AU, MIDI and maybe other formats.
        Also, I have players for AVI, MOV and MPG (1) formats.
        What LINUX players/recorders exist?

11)     Graphics: some viewers with a simple image processing
        capabilities (if more than simple - even better).
        I currently have viewers for tens of formats and I
        would like to have the same abilities under LINUX.

12)     DOS and Win3 compatibility: I have few Win3 multimedia
        CDs ("Jets", "Sharks", "Distant suns", etc).
        I also have few DOS programs that I don't want (or can't)
        throw away, like program interfacing with my diving computer
        and plotting graphs of my dives or a few old DOS flight-sims
        (all run under OS/2).
        How good is LINUX in emulating DOS/Win3 environment?

13)     Backup programs: I currentlu use BackAgain pro 4 that
        is scheduled to make weekly incremental backups. What
        comparable programs exist for LINUX?

14)     Fast file managers (I currently use File Commander/2).

15)     Math: mostly calculators and slightly more, with
        ability to integrate, sum, solve.

General note: after almost two years with OS/2 I became used to
be able to run almost any program without the need to reboot to other
OS. It's quite often happens that while waiting for a long download
I play some flight-sim or while answering a news post I have
to measure distance between some points on Earth or to look-up
the density of some element or to start "Jets" to look-up
some performance parameter of some aircraft.
So it's important for me that almost all of the themes mentioned
above have a native LINUX program/emulator. And the DOS/Win3
emulation is a must.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY INFO ! ! !

NOTE: before replying, leave only letters in my userID. Sorry, SPAM trap.

Post by Robert Krawit » Sun, 24 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> Video:     ATI Mach64 GPT 1600 4MB VRAM, DAC: IBM 514, driver: ATI, v2.01.
>    Doesn't have EEPROM.

Check at www.xfree86.org for support.  Older Mach 64 cards worked
well, but some of the newer RAMDAC's weren't supported as of a couple
of releases ago.

Other than that, your hardware looks extremely standard.

Quote:> What special procedures should I take when I'll buy the second CPU
> in order to have SMP system? Does it matter what is done first:
> updating the OS to be SMP capable while running on one CPU and just
> turning it off, adding CPU and turning it on or the other way around?

Linux does have SMP support in the kernel; I haven't used it so I
can't comment on it.

Quote:> Among the pieces of hardware mentioned above, what can you say about
> LINUX drivers avaliability and support from the manufacturers?

There's usually no Linux support from the manufacturer.

Quote:> I'm also about to buy a printer (probably HP color deskjet series)
> and a flatbed scanner (probably also HP), so the previous question
> relates to them too.

I have a Laserjet that works just fine.  Configuring printing is not
the strong point of any Unix system, so expect some pain here
(although some of the newer distributions -- I have an ancient
Slackware-based system that's had layer upon layer of hack added --
may be easier in this regard).  Scanners: some SCSI scanners are
supported, although you may have to fiddle with it.  I don't know
about ScanJets.

There is a project called SANE (Scanner Access Now Easy).  See
www.azstarnet.com/~axplinux/sane/ for info.  I just checked the page;
it does support at least the ScanJet 5P.

Quote:> 2) Compilers: I currently have IBM VAC++ 3.0 for OS/2. What
>    comparable LINUX products exist?

gcc is the standard system compiler for Linux; g++ is the standard C++
compiler.  The current compiler release has been out for 18 months or
so and is a bit behind the times on template and exception support;
hopefully that will be remedied shortly.

Quote:> 3) Other programmer/hacker tools like hex-editors, assemblers,
>    disassemblers, de*s, etc.?

The GNU suite is the standard set of tools.  Emacs has a hex editing
mode.  gas (GNU assembler) is the standard assembler; it doesn't have
all the fancy macro stuff of DOS assemblers.  GCC/G++ also support
inline assembly code inside C functions with extensive hooks to tie
inline assembler into the C code.  The standard de* is gdb.
I think there's a graphical front end to it, but I use the textual
interface.

Quote:> 4) Internet acces:
>    News reader (I currently use EmTec news reader).
>    Web browser (I currently use WebEx in most cases and NS/2
>                for web-shopping or to access pages with frames).
>    e-mail (I currently use Ultimail lite).
>    FTP client (I currently use FTP-PM).
>    IRC (I currently use PMIRC).
>    Telnet (I have it native OS/2 but the last time I used was
>           over a year ago).

A vast selection.  The Emacs editor supports all of these; ftp and
telnet are standard commands on any UNIX system.  Depending upon your
tastes, you should be able to find something to your liking.  Many of
these tools work much better than their Windows counterparts.  I'm
running Netscape 4.02 on both Linux and Windows 95 (my machine dual
boots).  It's tremendously quicker at redrawing the screen under Linux
than on Windows -- transparently fast on Linux, noticeable delays on
Windows.

Quote:> 5) Some not too fancy editor (word processor?). And if it'll
>    allow me to write in Hebrew, it would be great.

I use Emacs most of the time.  It's a text editor with an embedded
Lisp language and a tremendous number of packages available for it.
About 10 or 12 years ago I rewrote one of the mail reading packages
for it (there are at least three mail readers and two news readers
available in emacs alone).  I sometimes use vi or ed for quick and
dirty stuff.  There's a suite called ApplixWare that's available.  I
don't know about Hebrew editors.

Quote:> 6) Phone-book app. that can dial. (I currently use PhoneBoy).

This could probably be written in Emacs Lisp without much difficulty :-)

Quote:> 11)        Graphics: some viewers with a simple image processing
>    capabilities (if more than simple - even better).
>    I currently have viewers for tens of formats and I
>    would like to have the same abilities under LINUX.

Ghostscript is a PostScript interpreter that can generate a lot of
flavors of output.  There's an excellent image editor called The Gimp
(www.xcf.berkeley.edu/~gimp/) that's nearing release (I use a late
beta of it).

Quote:> 12)        DOS and Win3 compatibility: I have few Win3 multimedia
>    CDs ("Jets", "Sharks", "Distant suns", etc).
>    I also have few DOS programs that I don't want (or can't)
>    throw away, like program interfacing with my diving computer
>    and plotting graphs of my dives or a few old DOS flight-sims
>    (all run under OS/2).
>    How good is LINUX in emulating DOS/Win3 environment?

Not very good.  There's a package called Dosemu that can provide a
fairly good level of DOS emulation; there's also a package called wine
that's a windows emulator.  Some people have succeeded in booting
Windows 3.1 under Dosemu (usually using a few OS/2 DLL's, no less!).
I've had no luck booting Windows for Workgroups in that environment.
Wine can kinda sorta run (in a manner of speaking) some Windows
applications, but usually not for very long yet.  I can usually manage
to use wine to edit a simple Excel spreadsheet, but that's about it.

Quote:> 13)        Backup programs: I currentlu use BackAgain pro 4 that
>    is scheduled to make weekly incremental backups. What
>    comparable programs exist for LINUX?

There are plenty of backup programs available for Linux.  Kbackup
looks good (my tape drive's been busted for a while, so I haven't been
able to try it out), and there are quite a few others.  This stuff
isn't graphically slick, but it's usually pretty effective -- Linux,
like all Unix-type operating systems, is multiuser and has a lot of
administrative tools.

Quote:> General note: after almost two years with OS/2 I became used to
> be able to run almost any program without the need to reboot to other
> OS. It's quite often happens that while waiting for a long download
> I play some flight-sim or while answering a news post I have
> to measure distance between some points on Earth or to look-up
> the density of some element or to start "Jets" to look-up
> some performance parameter of some aircraft.
> So it's important for me that almost all of the themes mentioned
> above have a native LINUX program/emulator. And the DOS/Win3
> emulation is a must.

If DOS/Win3 emulation is a must, you probably will not find Linux
particularly suitable.  However, the Linux kernel is rock solid, and
the multitasking is not grafted on as an afterthought.
--

Tall Clubs International  --  http://www.veryComputer.com/

1. Booting Linux from DOS 6.2 Multi-Boot...

        Hello, I was wondering if there was any possible way to boot
Linux kernel V1.0 from the MS-DOS 6.20 Multi-Boot.  I think I remember
that someone had a way to do it, and if there is, could someone please
send me the details on how to do this via e-mail.  This would be much easier
than to hold down the left shift key, would it not?  I think you need a
special driver to tell DOS where your linux partition is...  Please
respond via e-mail.  Thanks in advance...

 Dennis Chan                              | "The best there was, the best
 Internet Email adress:                   |  there is, and the best there

 DOOM rules the world!!!                  |    - Bret "The Hitman" Hart

2. I WANT GNOME

3. Add Linux to existing multi-boot laptop?

4. Compaq S0 ISDN adapter ISA

5. Booting multi-boot system from Lilo?

6. Problem with DNS.

7. Win95 boot problems on multi-boot LILO system

8. lilo.conf needed for RedHat 4.0 boot diskette

9. Help needed: Disk Partition Scheme for Multi-boot OS system and Linux

10. Installing Linux on OS/2 Warp system with Boot Manager

11. Multi-boot success with Windows 95, Windows NT 4, Linux, OS/2 boot manager

12. RH6.2, Win2000, Win98 multi-boot results in LI on boot to Linux

13. multi-boot Win98 and Corel LINUX - lost boot menu