1. Linux + NT, moving from floppy boot to harddisk boot
When I installed Linux I chose to boot from floppy. Now however, I would like to
boot from the hard drive. BUT I am also running NT, so I looked at the NT OS
Loader + Linux mini-HOWTO at
because I want to use the NT boot loader because I don't want to mess with the
My config is the following. I have two hard disks, one IDE and one SCSI. NT is
on the IDE, and Linux on the SCSI. My Linux drive has a root partition (sda6)
and a boot partition (sda1).
When I boot from the floppy, LILO says to press enter to boot from sda6. (Why
doesn't it boot from sda1 which is my boot partition where /boot resides?)
Anyway, I config lilo.config so LILO should put the bootsector on sda1 (or sda6,
I've tried both). Then I run lilo. Then I peel off the bootsector from sda1 (or
sda6) and throw it into C:\bootsect.lnx of my NT filesystem. This is what the
mini-HOWTO says to do.
Now, when I choose Linux in the NT boot loader, it starts up fine, goes much
faster than using the floppy. But it stops with a panic, where it tries to mount
or find the root partition. When successfully booting from a floppy, it says at
one point: "found compressed kernel image at 0" or something similar. When
trying to boot from the hard drive it stops at that point with something like
"VMA: could not find root".
What am I doing wrong here?
2. Change Port on 3Com 509b???
3. use floppy when boot linux by boot floppy
4. Some Solaris x86 binaries
5. Configuring IP Addresses and the like
6. Squid2 with https and ports
7. Linux, FreeBSD, NT, W95, etc. w/ Boot Easy, LILO, and NTLDR
8. Linux floppy won't boot, DOS floppy will
9. NT/Linux Dual Boot - NT Randomly Hangs
10. NT + Linux dual boot, can I repair damaged NT loader?
11. LINUX, NT and DOS - LILO or NT boot pgm?