basic, very basic

Post by Tom Pfeife » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Linux can boot from any drive, as long as it's a drive that is detected
by the BIOS. For example, I am currently running Linux from my 3rd drive
(secondary master). I also have other Linux installs on my primary slave
and primary master drives.

I boot Linux by:
1) installing Lilo in the partition boot sector of each Linux
installation
2) use a boot manager called Bootit Direct in the MBR to select the OS

Lilo is the boot loader that comes with Linux, and is quite versatile.
As a quick primer in it's use, you can take a look at this HOWTO
document:

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Tom

> This IS a very basic question, but 30 years in computing has learned me
> one thing : If in doubt, ask before you do anything.
> My home PC has 2  2GB drives and a CD. Primary EDI controller hosts 1 HD

> and the CD. Second EDI controller hosts the other HD, which is empty and

> HPFS. The HW is fairly new, IBM PC365, pentium 2 and 250 MB ram, nothing

> * installed apart from an EICON Diva ISDN adapter, which isn't
> really *.
> On the first HD resides NT4.0 on a 500 MB NTFS volume, thats for working

> from home via dial-in. Also it has a 1.5GB OS/2 partition, HPFS format
> of course. Thats for everything else, I just love OS/2. The HPFS format
> is because NT can't make any sense out of it and leaves it alone.
> Booting is via OS/2 bootmanager(on HD1), and works with no fuss at all.
> In a move to phase out OS/2, I want to give Linux a try. I just hate
> Microsoft and their lousy OS's.
> From the manuals I get the impression that Linux must reside on the
> first disk on the primary EDI controller, correct ?. Any way to install
> Linux on a set-up like mine?.
> Please reply to my mailadress too. My newsreader forgets the newsgroups
> I subscribe to now and then, and it would be a shame to loose any
> replies.
> rgds
> Peter

basic, very basic

Post by pe.. » Mon, 28 Aug 2000 08:06:10

[...]

From the manuals I get the impression that Linux must reside on the