Large file support (>2GB) on 2.2.x kernels (NT vs. Linux FTP)

Large file support (>2GB) on 2.2.x kernels (NT vs. Linux FTP)

Post by Thomas L. Shinnic » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I've lost track of the current wisdom regarding large file support on
2.2.x kernels.  Even after sifting DejaNews and some Linux sites
I am confused...

  1) Are there patches for 2.2.x kernels to enable LFS in the kernel?
  2) Are there patches to enable LFS in glibc on 2.2.x systems?
  3) To what extent is LFS in glibc transparent to apps?
  4) If not transparent, are there patches to allow wuftpd/cat/etc
     to use LFS?
  5) And to what extent are the answers different for 2.3.x systems?
  6) And does anyone understand what of all this is really in RH6.2EE?

Background:
We are working up to proposing to replace a WinNT 4.0 (Intel 32bit) box
with Linux, but the customer is transferring larger and larger files
using FTP, and has just gone beyond 2GB files.  They are generating
and consuming the files on Solaris boxes which handle >2GB files just
fine.

Our FTP box is part of a collection and distribution system, and for
several reasons we would like to move away from NT.  But it is not
feasible to suggest to the customer that they split/cat files on the
Solaris systems just to move them thru the FTP waystation.  We need to
allow transparent use of >2GB files thru the FTP box.

--
When time permits, your personal life will be exciting.
  -- Restaurant Fortune Cookie       (They know me there ...)

Large file support (>2GB) on 2.2.x kernels (NT vs. Linux FTP)

Post by kie » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:

>I've lost track of the current wisdom regarding large file support on
>2.2.x kernels.  Even after sifting DejaNews and some Linux sites
>I am confused...

You will be better of wait untill distros based on kernel 2.4 are
out with glibc with support for large files. This should happen
by the end of this year.

1. Large File Support (LFS >2GB) with RH6.2, glibc 2.1.3, 2.4.9

I've been attempting to get large file support working on a RH6.2 box
(2.4.9 kernel) after recompiling glibc 2.1.3 against the new kernel
headers with little success. I was hoping someone might know
of a good way to test for the presence of LFS support in an
application
or in the operating system.

What I've done -
. Compiled and installed 2.4.9 kernel from kernel.org. [reboot]
. upgraded kernel-headers package to kernel-headers-2.4.2-2 rpm
. recompiled glibc using glibc-2.1.3-22.src.rpm - I modified the spec
file to build glibc using --with-headers=/usr/src/linux/include.
. recompiled and installed fileutils-4.0.36-4.src.rpm using rpm
--rebuild
. recompiled gnu tar-1.13 from the gnu.org tarball, once allowing
./configure to prepare the build [failed], and the second time
modifying config.h by adding,

#define  _LARGEFILE64_SOURCE    1

[also failed]

I've tried recompiling tar-1.13 and fileutils (which includes dd) and
when
either tries to create a >2GB file, they always exit with "File size
limit
exceeded (core dumped)".

I can't seem to track down whether this is due to the kernel, glibc or
the
application.

Running `find /usr/include -name \*.h | xargs grep LARGEFILE | more`
gives
several references to __USE_LARGEFILE64 and __USE_FILE_OFFSET64, which
(according to another post in usenet) would indicate the presence of
LFS
support.

I recompiled dd, and now, if I do a `strace dd if=/dev/zero
of=test.file
count=4400000`, I get -

fstat64(0x3, 0xbfffb694)                = 0
open("/dev/zero", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE) = 0
close(1)                                = 0
open("test.file", O_WRONLY|O_CREAT|O_TRUNC|O_LARGEFILE, 0666) = 1
fstat64(0x1, 0xbffffa38)                = 0

But it still exits with "File size limit exceeded (core dumped)" -
--- SIGXFSZ (File size limit exceeded) ---
+++ killed by SIGXFSZ +++

Thinking it was pam, I commented out the line from /etc/pam.d/sshd -
#session    required     /lib/security/pam_limits.so

But no luck.

I've tried creating the files on both a 2.0-compat ext2 partition and
a reiserfs 3.6 partition.

Can anyone offer any pointers? Most appreciated would be suggestions
from folks who have actually gotten LFS enabled on a RH6.2
2.4.x-kernel box. I've also tried the scyld patches/SRPMS and read
over the aj|suse.de|lfs page *many* times :) . No luck with any of
those either.

Thanks!

2. pty handling

3. Large File Support >2GB

4. No Screens message - help!

5. Large File System Enabling/File > 2GB

6. NewMedia LANSurfer in Linux, anyone?

7. Aix 4.3.3 problem with large files > 2GB compile/linking

8. dataDisk CDR??

9. when will Linux support > 2GB file size???

10. Large files > 2GB

11. Mounting Large (> 2GB) File systems via NFS to SunOS 4.1.3

12. when will Linux support > 2GB file size???

13. Does Linux Support Files > 2GB?