/dev/dsp not working

Post by Jason Bon » Wed, 19 May 1999 04:00:00

It seems that I'm having problems getting the sound working in Linux.
Funny thing is that the cd plays fine and when I play Q3test, it plays
sounds fine (and it uses /dev/dsp as well...I also run Q3test as root).
I did
chmod 666 /dev/dsp
and tried running this sound program as root and as a regular user to no
avail.  The error message I'm getting is:

Error opening output device (mpg123 reported:"Can't open /dev/dsp!")

What could possibly be the problem?  It shouldn't be permission
problems?  Could the resourse be in use?...although I'm not running any
other sound apps when I try and use mpg123.  Thanks kindly,

  Jason

/dev/dsp not working

Post by jaso » Thu, 20 May 1999 04:00:00

Do a 'fuser -v /dev/dsp' to find out if any processes are accessing that
device, then kill it/them.

Hope this helps,
-jason

(to reply via email, make the appropriate substitution in my email address)

1. /dev/dsp, /dev/audio, /dev/midi., /dev/sndsta

After I compiled all the necessary components
for sound support for my sound card, I have happy
to say linux detects my sound card...but there is
one problem I am as of yet unable to use the card..
since the necessary devices in /dev were never made...

In newere kernel releases the file
/usr/src/linux/drivers/sound/Readme.linux which contained a
script at the end of file which created the dev files
is no longer present.  Could someone tell me where this
file is now located?  Or where I can find a script to
create the dev files?

thanks.

2. How to make netstat show IRC as IRC, instead of 6667?

3. problem getting OSS compatability to work with ALSA: aplay works; /dev/dsp gives noise.

4. GPM 1.17.5 and touchpad

5. /dev/dsp not found???

6. Classic/Classic X/Memory

7. /dev/dsp not found??

8. Installing SunOS 4.1.4 on a 4/330

9. keep getting /dev/dsp: Device not configured on XMMS

10. /dev/dsp: Operation not supported by device

11. /dev/dsp not found

12. /dev/dsp not created

13. Checking /dev/dsp busy or not ?