make menuconfig fails : no such file or directory

make menuconfig fails : no such file or directory

Post by Marcus Taylo » Thu, 11 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I've seen virtually identical posts to mine with identical error
messages, but as yet am still searching for a solution:

OK Brand new installation of Redhat 5.1, all partitions formatted.
Attempting to configure kernel.  If I run make menuconfig immediately,
then make menuconfig works a treat - so what's the prob?  Well I get
this lot below when I follow the README and do a make mrproper.  After
issuing this command, it is impossilbe to recompile kernel with make
config, make menuconfig or make xconfig.

What the hell is causing this?

Spartakus

rm -f include/asm
( cd include ; ln -sf asm-i386 asm)
make -C scripts/lxdialog all
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.0.34/scripts/lxdialog'
gcc -O2 -Wall -fomit-frame-pointer -DLOCALE  -I/usr/include/ncurses
-DCURSES_LOC="<ncurses.h>"   -c lxdialog.c -o lxdialog.o
In file included from lxdialog.c:22:
dialog.h:22: sys/types.h: No such file or directory
dialog.h:23: fcntl.h: No such file or directory
dialog.h:24: unistd.h: No such file or directory
dialog.h:25: ctype.h: No such file or directory
dialog.h:26: stdlib.h: No such file or directory
dialog.h:27: string.h: No such file or directory
In file included from dialog.h:29,
                 from lxdialog.c:22:
/usr/include/ncurses/ncurses.h:71: stdio.h: No such file or directory
lxdialog.c:53: locale.h: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [lxdialog.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.0.34/scripts/lxdialog'
make: *** [menuconfig] Error 2

Post by Ashwin Biha » Thu, 11 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> I've seen virtually identical posts to mine with identical error
> messages, but as yet am still searching for a solution:

> OK Brand new installation of Redhat 5.1, all partitions formatted.
> Attempting to configure kernel.  If I run make menuconfig immediately,
> then make menuconfig works a treat - so what's the prob?  Well I get
> this lot below when I follow the README and do a make mrproper.  After
> issuing this command, it is impossilbe to recompile kernel with make
> config, make menuconfig or make xconfig.

> What the hell is causing this?

> Spartakus

> rm -f include/asm
> ( cd include ; ln -sf asm-i386 asm)
> make -C scripts/lxdialog all
> make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.0.34/scripts/lxdialog'
> gcc -O2 -Wall -fomit-frame-pointer -DLOCALE  -I/usr/include/ncurses
> -DCURSES_LOC="<ncurses.h>"   -c lxdialog.c -o lxdialog.o
> In file included from lxdialog.c:22:
> dialog.h:22: sys/types.h: No such file or directory
> dialog.h:23: fcntl.h: No such file or directory
> dialog.h:24: unistd.h: No such file or directory
> dialog.h:25: ctype.h: No such file or directory
> dialog.h:26: stdlib.h: No such file or directory
> dialog.h:27: string.h: No such file or directory
> In file included from dialog.h:29,
>                  from lxdialog.c:22:
> /usr/include/ncurses/ncurses.h:71: stdio.h: No such file or directory
> lxdialog.c:53: locale.h: No such file or directory
> make[1]: *** [lxdialog.o] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.0.34/scripts/lxdialog'
> make: *** [menuconfig] Error 2

Those error message there indicate that you didnt installe the development
library for C and C++..the STDIO.H, STDLIB.H, STRING.H, CTYPE.H, UNISTD.H
are all files used by ALL C programs..and are usaully located in
/usr/include, and since you said you just installed Redhat, you might
want to give that a shot again, but when you get to the point where you
can choose what packages to install, go to the bottom of that menu and
choose EVERYTHING, and then one of the clickable lines below that menu
says, LET ME SELECT PACKAGES or something to that effect, click on that,
and when you click OK, you will see all the package highlighted, now only
remove packages that you KNOW YOU DONT WANT..leave the rest there, and run
the installation, then try to reconfigure the Kernel and see what
happens..Regards

|Ashwin Bihari                              University of Massachusetts Lowell|

| NOTE: The E-mail address on top has been mangled to stop Spam Bots..please  |
|       use the address in this box for replying.                             |
\-----------------------------------------------------------------------------/

Post by Ataraxi » Fri, 12 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> I've seen virtually identical posts to mine with identical error
> messages, but as yet am still searching for a solution:

> OK Brand new installation of Redhat 5.1, all partitions formatted.
> Attempting to configure kernel.  If I run make menuconfig immediately,
> then make menuconfig works a treat - so what's the prob?  Well I get
> this lot below when I follow the README and do a make mrproper.  After
> issuing this command, it is impossilbe to recompile kernel with make
> config, make menuconfig or make xconfig.

> What the hell is causing this?

These missing files are definitely part of glibc. Try using find
to look for them and make sure that they are really there (find /
-name unistd.h -print). If they are there, make sure that the
path is set to them. If not, go to redhat's ftp site and get
glibc.

--

 Official Defunct Poet of alt.books.m-lackey
 Proud Red Hat Linux user

make menuconfig fails : no such file or directory

Post by M. Buchenried » Fri, 12 Jun 1998 04:00:00

[...]

Quote:>In file included from lxdialog.c:22:
>dialog.h:22: sys/types.h: No such file or directory

[...]

This should be found in /usr/include/sys . Seems that the path
for the include dirs has been messed up.

Michael
--

       Lumber Cartel Unit #456 (TINLC) and Official Net.Scum

1. making menuconfig on a 2.4.2-ac6 kernel :-)

patch has already been posted here.

Incremental ac patches are available at: www.bzimage.org

ac5-ac6 is patched with right EXTRAVERSION and make menuconfig patch.

Danny

-

2. Direct IP-only Hosts elsewhere?

3. Why making a link file inside the vfat mounted directory?

4. Running FreeBSD as NIS client

5. Making the application to search for a file in a specified directory

6. Getting shadow passwds

7. Making a directory based on a file

8. Numeric constant with no digits?!?!?

9. Making new files match group of the directory.

10. Making available from File Manager your host Linux directory through Trumpet winsock

11. check if request is made on a file or a directory

12. making a fonts.dir file for a ttf directory