Partition problems with RH 4.0

Post by Stan Lobune » Wed, 10 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I dug out my 4.0 CheapBytes CD that I bought a year ago, and decided to try
Linux again. I remember that last time I install, it was extremely easy to set
up my hard drive. I have a 4GB IDE, 1 2GB partition with Win 95, 1 2GB
extended partition with 3 logical (1 GB for NT 4, the other are empty for
Linux). Last time during the install I had an option to choose between fdisk
and cfdisk, and it was very easy with cfdisk. Now the only option I get is
fdisk, and I am in a loop. I don't know anything about cylinders, sectors,
etc... and fdisk tells me that I have only 2 partitions, it doesn't see the
logical drivers like cfdisk did. Is there anyway to run cfdisk during 4.0
install? Thanks. I don't want to buy $50 System Commander to install a $2 CD.

1. RH 6.0, primary partitions, and NT 4.0

I am having difficulty installing RedHat 6.0 on my system.  Specifically,
I have an IBM 10G drive with the following partitions:

Primary DOS 2G
Extended DOS 4G - with three logical volumes of size 2G, 1G, 1G

I want to use the remaining space for linux, but when I use RH's fdisk
utility to create a new primary partition (Linux native), NT refuses to boot.
It comes up with the following message (which is completely bogus because
NT boots just fine when I remove that extra primary partition):

Windows NT could not start because the following file is missing or
corrupt: <winnt root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

Is there anything I can do to make NT work with this extra primary partition?
Alternatively, is there a free utility that I can use to change the size
of the extended partition, so I can create the Linux partition there?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

On a side note:  Is this error just a ploy by Microsoft to disallow
alternate operating systems?  Seems pretty shady to me.  This extra
partition can't possibly hurt NT's performance.

2. IDE CD on Solaris?

3. Strange experience going RH 4.0 --> RH 4.2

4. X terminal/XDMCP question

5. Dell, 3c59x, and RH 4.0 (was Re: Newbie : 3c59x and RH 3.03 *Nothing* works)

6. RH 6.2 on Alpha Station 255 : how does it work?

7. Partition Magic 4.0 supports ext2 partitions

8. xdb question

9. Partition Magic 4.0 moving an extended partition?

10. RH 4.0 -> adduser problem

11. RH 4.0 ppp problem

12. Shared library problems with RH 4.0

13. RH 4.0 - FVWM2 and XFIG problems