'Unknown PCI device' and 'Keyboard timeout' with RedHat 4.1

'Unknown PCI device' and 'Keyboard timeout' with RedHat 4.1

Post by Dan Clar » Tue, 17 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I'm trying to get Red Hat 4.1 installed on my P200MMX PC, but it falls over at
the first hurdle. I've tried two ways to install it:

1. Create a LINUX boot disk using 'rawrite' and the supplied disk image. When
   I boot from this I get 'Loading LINUX' and about 5 dots, then it appears to
   hang.
2. Boot from a DOS disk, then run 'autoboot.bat' on the CD, which calls
   'loadlin'. This loads LINUX OK, then gives me screens of info, including 5
   lines which say 'Unknown PCI device'. Further on it says 'Keyboard timeout';
   this appears 3 times before it continues. When it gets to the 'Are you using
   a colour monitor?' screen I can't type anything. Even the numlock key
   doesn't work.

- I'm assuming in case (2) that rather than* the installation is sitting
  there waiting for me to enter something, but since it didn't recognise the
  keyboard I can't type anything.

My machine is a P200MMX on a SuperMicro P5 PCI motherboard (it's a Vale
Platinum SE from Evesham Micros, UK). As far as I'm aware there's nothing
strange or non-standard about it. Currently it's running Win95 OSR2. One issue
is that I'm using FAT-32, but the above problem seems to be more fundamental
than that.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I can't find any boot parameters that appear
relevant, so I'm a bit stuck what to try next.

Thanks,

Dan.

'Unknown PCI device' and 'Keyboard timeout' with RedHat 4.1

Post by Tim K » Tue, 17 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm trying to get Red Hat 4.1 installed on my P200MMX PC, but it falls over at
>the first hurdle. I've tried two ways to install it:

>1. Create a LINUX boot disk using 'rawrite' and the supplied disk image. When
>   I boot from this I get 'Loading LINUX' and about 5 dots, then it appears to
>   hang.
>2. Boot from a DOS disk, then run 'autoboot.bat' on the CD, which calls
>   'loadlin'. This loads LINUX OK, then gives me screens of info, including 5
>   lines which say 'Unknown PCI device'. Further on it says 'Keyboard timeout';
>   this appears 3 times before it continues. When it gets to the 'Are you using
>   a colour monitor?' screen I can't type anything. Even the numlock key
>   doesn't work.

I have a similar problem with slackware 2, all worked fine on my old
VESA machine but unknown PCI messages flash past on boot up from
boot/root diskette installation, there's an e-mail address there for
reporting the error but it flashes past too quick to read ( and I cant
read the boot up log 'caused Linux hangs after installation ) any
ideas anyone? I was hoping slackware 3 would fix this but if Red hat 3
has the same problems....