Caldera Network Desktop 1.0 and Os2 warp

Caldera Network Desktop 1.0 and Os2 warp

Post by Sung Chun » Tue, 29 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Does anyone know how to install Caldera's network desktop so that it
doesn't interfere with os2 bootmanager partition?  I would like to
install lilo so that I can boot linux off the hardrive.  I would like to
put the linux partition in the os2 bootmanager.  I know for regular
linux releases this is discussed in faq but caldera's network desktop is
a little different.  Anyone try this yet?

        Please email or post help

Post by Ian C. Pilche » Wed, 30 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> Does anyone know how to install Caldera's network desktop so that it
> doesn't interfere with os2 bootmanager partition?  I would like to
> install lilo so that I can boot linux off the hardrive.  I would like
> put the linux partition in the os2 bootmanager.  I know for regular
> linux releases this is discussed in faq but caldera's network desktop
> is
> a little different.  Anyone try this yet?

>         Please email or post help

I've got this running right now.  The key thing to know is that OS/2
FDISK won't let you add a partition to the Boot Manager menu if that
partition is marked as Linux native.  Here's a general overview of the
steps to take:

  1. Plan your installation!

  2. Use OS/2 FDISK to create your Linux native and Linux swap
     partitions.

  3. Add your Linux root partition to the Boot Manager menu.

  4. Install Linux; instead of using Linux fdisk to create partitions,
     simply change their type to Linux native or Linux swap.

  5. Install LILO in the boot sector of your Linux root partition; you
     probably won't want any delay.

Hope this helps!

Caldera Network Desktop 1.0 and Os2 warp

Post by |ecame.. » Thu, 31 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Does anyone know how to install Caldera's network desktop so that it
don't install lilo.
>doesn't interfere with os2 bootmanager partition?  I would like to
>install lilo so that I can boot linux off the hardrive.  I would like to
>put the linux partition in the os2 bootmanager.  I know for regular
>linux releases this is discussed in faq but caldera's network desktop is
>a little different.  Anyone try this yet?

You can have one or the other, that is either OS/2 Warped's
bootmanager or LILO.  Both are boot managers, LILO is less fancy.
BUT YOU CAN'T HAVE BOTH.
Notice the lack of a PGP key.
I have car keys, house keys, and an old trunk key, but NO PGP
key.  I'll leave such things to the paranoid and neurotic people
amongst the populace.

Post by M. J » Thu, 31 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>>Does anyone know how to install Caldera's network desktop so that it
>don't install lilo.
>>doesn't interfere with os2 bootmanager partition?  I would like to
>>install lilo so that I can boot linux off the hardrive.  I would like to
>>put the linux partition in the os2 bootmanager.  I know for regular
>>linux releases this is discussed in faq but caldera's network desktop is
>>a little different.  Anyone try this yet?

>You can have one or the other, that is either OS/2 Warped's
>bootmanager or LILO.  Both are boot managers, LILO is less fancy.
>BUT YOU CAN'T HAVE BOTH.

Wrong.  I along with many others use both Boot Manager and lilo.

I have my system start Boot Manager and give me the option of starting
DOS, Warp or Linux.  If I choose Linux it starts lilo on /hdb5.

Some other people have their system start lilo, which points at Linux or
Boot Manager.

Mark