help! lost kde panel after hd crash

Post by Gardner Pompe » Sat, 08 Sep 2001 06:21:23

Help!

I am running Red Hat linux 7.1. My computer (IBM Thinkpad) locked up when I
tried to run xconq, and I had to power it off. When it came up, there were
errors that I had to fix with fsck.

My problem is now that my user login (gardner) comes up with a desktop with
no kde panel. I can log in as root and the panel comes up for me there. I
have looked all over the ~/Desktop directories for both gardner and root,
and they seem to be identical.

Is there a way to force a rebuid of the panel? Under the kde FAQ, they seem
to indicate that you can run "kpanel" to get a kde panel under other window
managers, but I can't find kpanel on my system anywhere (find / -name
kpanel returns nothing).

Thanks for any help!

- Gardner

help! lost kde panel after hd crash

Post by Gardner Pompe » Sat, 08 Sep 2001 07:36:40

I have some more info, after doing more research. It turns out that kicker
hangs. When I run kicker -v, I get:
Qt: 2.3.0
KDE: 2.1.1
KDE Panel: 1.1

I can't find any documentation that describes what files kicker reads. I am
guessing that a file is missing after the hard disk corruption. Since it
works for root, I don't think it is a problem with the kicker executable.

- Gardner

Post by Dave Uhrin » Sat, 08 Sep 2001 22:00:13

> I have some more info, after doing more research. It turns out that
> kicker hangs. When I run kicker -v, I get:
> Qt: 2.3.0
> KDE: 2.1.1
> KDE Panel: 1.1

> I can't find any documentation that describes what files kicker reads.
> I am guessing that a file is missing after the hard disk corruption.
> Since it works for root, I don't think it is a problem with the kicker
> executable.

> - Gardner

>> Help!

>> I am running Red Hat linux 7.1. My computer (IBM Thinkpad) locked up
>> when I tried to run xconq, and I had to power it off. When it came
>> up, there were errors that I had to fix with fsck.

>> My problem is now that my user login (gardner) comes up with a
>> desktop with no kde panel. I can log in as root and the panel comes
>> up for me there. I have looked all over the ~/Desktop directories for
>> both gardner and root, and they seem to be identical.

>> Is there a way to force a rebuid of the panel? Under the kde FAQ,
>> they seem to indicate that you can run "kpanel" to get a kde panel
>> under other window managers, but I can't find kpanel on my system
>> anywhere (find / -name kpanel returns nothing).

>> Thanks for any help!

>> - Gardner

$ rm -r ~/.kde

Log out, log in.

Post by Gardner Pompe » Sat, 08 Sep 2001 16:40:30

>> I have some more info, after doing more research. It turns out that
>> kicker hangs. When I run kicker -v, I get:
>> Qt: 2.3.0
>> KDE: 2.1.1
>> KDE Panel: 1.1

>> I can't find any documentation that describes what files kicker reads.
>> I am guessing that a file is missing after the hard disk corruption.
>> Since it works for root, I don't think it is a problem with the kicker
>> executable.

>> - Gardner

>>> Help!

>>> I am running Red Hat linux 7.1. My computer (IBM Thinkpad) locked up
>>> when I tried to run xconq, and I had to power it off. When it came
>>> up, there were errors that I had to fix with fsck.

>>> My problem is now that my user login (gardner) comes up with a
>>> desktop with no kde panel. I can log in as root and the panel comes
>>> up for me there. I have looked all over the ~/Desktop directories for
>>> both gardner and root, and they seem to be identical.

>>> Is there a way to force a rebuid of the panel? Under the kde FAQ,
>>> they seem to indicate that you can run "kpanel" to get a kde panel
>>> under other window managers, but I can't find kpanel on my system
>>> anywhere (find / -name kpanel returns nothing).

>>> Thanks for any help!

>>> - Gardner

> $ rm -r ~/.kde

> Log out, log in.

Thanks! I did that and the panel reappeared until I finished with
the KDE Desktop wizard that shows up when you first log in under kde 2.2
(which I installed trying to fix this problem). Then the panel went
away again and I had a core file in my home directory.

So, I just did the rm again (I removed *everything* .x* .m* .D* .M*, .k*,
etc), logged in again and skipped the wizard. Now I seem to be ok.

- Gardner

1. KDE 2.1 panel crashes when child panel activated (after using font anti-alias)

Hi all!

I upgraded from KDE 2.1beta2 to KDE 2.1, and needless to say it absolutely
rocks.

But there's one VERY annoying bug I'm fighting with:

When I activate a child panel in Kicker, the whole panel crashes (SIGSEV)
upon next startup. I use the child panel for an external task bar (like
that better than the External Taskbar extension of kicker).

Interestingly enough I can launch kicker from the shell and the child panel
works as expected.

Also, the very first time I started the new KDE version it also worked.
Then the first thing I did was activate font anti-aliasing in the control
panel. On the next restart kicker crashed. And continues to crash every
time even after I disabled font anti-alias.

Without the child panel activated kicker starts normally!

This is what .xsession-errors says (not much here):
KCrash: crashing.... crashRecursionCounter = 2
KCrash: Application Name = kicker path = <unknown>
DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-1110' to 'kicker'
ERROR: KUniqueApplication: DCOP communication error!
WARNING: library=kmix.la: No file names kmix.la found in paths.
WARNING: library=kbiff.la: No file names kbiff.la found in paths.

Thanks for any hints on fixing this!

Joerg

--

When replying by email please remove text in caps
and underscores from recipient address

2. Wanted(WTB):Used Solaris 2.4 for x 86

3. Help! Lost my KDE Panel (Kicker)

4. dotclock frequencies

5. HELP! Lost my KDE Panel (Kicker)

6. Help: Linux Slackware won't recognise my RLL drives.

7. GNOME panel crashes on startup... many errors, no panel... help!

8. TCP Wrappers and SunOS 4.1.3U1

9. Help! kde panel crash on startup...

10. KDE panel loses applets (pager, system monitor) between sessions

11. Anyone has encountered severe KDE Panel crash????

12. kde crash, desktop lost

13. HELP: Lost my GNOME panels