Q: Daylight saving adjustment automatically ?

Q: Daylight saving adjustment automatically ?

Post by Swapnajit Mittr » Mon, 20 Nov 2000 14:49:58

   This must be an easy one for you all
   linux gurus. The system time in my
   RH6.1 has not "fallen back" after the
   daylight saving Sunday few weeks back.
   It shows me PST (that I indicated during
   the installation), but it runs 1 hour
   fast as of now. Any automatic way to
   correct this (other than waiting for 6 more
   months ;-) ?

--
=-=-= 100% pure Verilog PLI - go, get it ! =-=-=
 Principles of Verilog PLI -By- Swapnajit Mittra

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Bill Unr » Mon, 20 Nov 2000 15:28:08

]   This must be an easy one for you all
]   linux gurus. The system time in my
]   RH6.1 has not "fallen back" after the
]   daylight saving Sunday few weeks back.
]   It shows me PST (that I indicated during
]   the installation), but it runs 1 hour
]   fast as of now. Any automatic way to
]   correct this (other than waiting for 6 more
]   months ;-) ?

You probably have your computer's clock on "local" time.
In that case linux assumes that you handled the changeover.
You eitehr need to put your system on UTC or do the changing yourself.
(eg hwclock)

Post by Villy Kru » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>]   This must be an easy one for you all
>]   linux gurus. The system time in my
>]   RH6.1 has not "fallen back" after the
>]   daylight saving Sunday few weeks back.
>]   It shows me PST (that I indicated during
>]   the installation), but it runs 1 hour
>]   fast as of now. Any automatic way to
>]   correct this (other than waiting for 6 more
>]   months ;-) ?

>You probably have your computer's clock on "local" time.
>In that case linux assumes that you handled the changeover.
>You eitehr need to put your system on UTC or do the changing yourself.
>(eg hwclock)

On RH systems check setclock, which is a shell program which will call
hwclock with the right arguments.  Less chance of mistake.

Booting windows the first time after the time change should cause the cmos
clock to change, so if you adjust the cmos clock with linux and later
boot windows you might get a double adjustment.

If you run linux only then the cmos clock should run UTC, as this will
give the fewest problems.  The UTC time doesn't change with summer time
and therefore doesn't need to be changed when the wall clock time changes.

Villy