help with modem port

Post by Ling Li » Tue, 25 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I installed Slackware linux 3.5 on my K6 233 PC. Besides linux, Windows 98
is also installed. I tried to talk to the modem, which is full functional
in Windows 98 on Com 4, with c-kermit:

C-Kermit> set line /dev/ttyS3

but somehow linux reported open device error. ttyS0 is a mouse port and
com4 on DOS should correspond to ttyS3 on Linux. SO I dont know what I can
do about it. Does someone have a clue?

Thanks

help with modem port

Post by Ignac » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00

 >I installed Slackware linux 3.5 on my K6 233 PC. Besides linux,
Windows 98
 >is also installed. I tried to talk to the modem, which is full
functional
 >in Windows 98 on Com 4, with c-kermit:
 >
 >C-Kermit> set line /dev/ttyS3
 >
 >but somehow linux reported open device error. ttyS0 is a mouse port
and
 >com4 on DOS should correspond to ttyS3 on Linux. SO I dont know what
I can
 >do about it. Does someone have a clue?
 >
 >Thanks

What kind of modem is it? Are you sure it's not a WinModem?

help with modem port

Post by Ling Li » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00

If it's  a winmodem, what can I do in order to make it work on Linux? I
already tried to boot from Win98, then exit with "restart with MS-DOS"
option, and use loadlin1.6 to warmboot to Linux, still the system didnt
think ttyS3 is a terminal type. Same error meassage as before. Do you need
to try loadlin in the command box under Win98?

Post by Erik A. Mogense » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> If it's  a winmodem, what can I do in order to make it work on Linux? I
> already tried to boot from Win98, then exit with "restart with MS-DOS"
> option, and use loadlin1.6 to warmboot to Linux, still the system didnt
> think ttyS3 is a terminal type. Same error meassage as before. Do you need
> to try loadlin in the command box under Win98?

> >  >I installed Slackware linux 3.5 on my K6 233 PC. Besides linux,
> > Windows 98
> >  >is also installed. I tried to talk to the modem, which is full
> > functional
> >  >in Windows 98 on Com 4, with c-kermit:

> >  >C-Kermit> set line /dev/ttyS3

> >  >but somehow linux reported open device error. ttyS0 is a mouse port
> > and
> >  >com4 on DOS should correspond to ttyS3 on Linux. SO I dont know what
> > I can
> >  >do about it. Does someone have a clue?

> >  >Thanks

> > What kind of modem is it? Are you sure it's not a WinModem?

If it is a winmodem, there is nothing you can do to make it work with
Linux.

1. Serial Port/Internal Modem on Boot Up failure - Help No Modem!

I've a Boca Internal Modem which up till last friday worked under both
Windows 95 and Linux (2.0.29)
Atfer moving the motherborad to a new case at the weekend and
installing a new soundcard (sound blaster 32) the modem only now works
under windows95. At one point during rebuilding a boot failed and the
Bios defaults were loaded.
I've disabled COMM2 in the bios, to try an avoid a clash but tty00only
is found during boot up.

Help someone please.

Andy

2. Repost: configuring mouse

3. HELP Port Forwarding on Linux: Dest Port Known, Source Port High (1024-65535)

4. dmesg tells me 'device not claimed'

5. Modem Port Busy Message at Modem (Beginner Question)

6. 2.5: sleeping function called from illegal context

7. Printer prints from ttyS0 (modem port), but how from ttyS1 (printer port)?

8. latest GCC, emacs? Installation recommendation

9. Serial port/modem port

10. Modem Blues, SS20 port A and Supra 28.8 modem

11. changing mouse port to modem port

12. Serial port to serial port with null modem cable

13. Need help with modem/zsmon on Solaris 2.3 (port hang)