Resolution switching w/o virtual desktop, how?

Resolution switching w/o virtual desktop, how?

Post by Jae Woo Le » Thu, 10 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I have been trying to setup the XF86Config file so that I could switch
(with Alt-Ctl-+) between 800x600 and 1024x768 *without* the larger
resolution being my virtual desktop size all the time.

Usually I work in 800x600, but sometimes I need a bigger screen (when I
am playing xboing, for example).  As soon as I add 1024x768 mode,
xfree86 turns on the vitual desktop for my 800x600.  Is there any way to
tell it to *always* match the desktop size to the physical resolution of
various modes?

I searched dejanews and found a couple of wrong answers to this problem:
comment out the "vitual" lines in XF86Config.  That does not work in
this case.  In the absense of the 'virtual' directive, the x server
simly elects the biggest resolution mode as the size of the virtual
desktop (1024x768 in my case).

Thanks in advance.  Please email a reply as well.

-- jae

1. Switching X resolution & virtual desktop

Is there a way to set up XFree86 so that when I use ctrl-alt-keypad+
to switch display resolution it also changes my virtual desktop to
the same resolution?  Because I want to be able to switch between
using 1280x1024 and 1024x768 without the hassle of changing
XF86Config and restarting X.  But, the virtual desktop is set to
the larger of the two, 1280x1024, so when i switch to 1024x768 i
have to scroll around to get to everything, like my kde panels...

--
Scott Mayberry

2. Using 'crash' program

3. X desktop resolution and virtual desktop

4. Help with XF86

5. Is there a desktop resolution switching tool for Linux?

6. Help! Sun is re-sending most TCP packets

7. Changing Virtual Desktops resolution

8. Printing to parallel port in Digital UNIX without lpd -- odd problems

9. Switch Virtual Desktops?

10. I'm VERY frustrated with screen resolutions and virtual desktop

11. virtual desktop size for different resolution

12. How to change Virtual Desktop Resolution?

13. changing resolution leaves the virtual desktop 1600x1200