unable to telnet from NT, linux OK

Post by gvine » Tue, 06 Feb 2001 11:44:58

I upgraded a linux box to RHL 7.0 & now I can not telnet into it from an
NT box.  I can telnet from another linux box.  Ping works OK (with
either the IP address or hostname).  I have samba working on the linux
machine, so this is something to do with xinetd(?) or security
(maybe?).

I'm also trying to set up a pop server on the linux machine & have the
same results (OK from another linux machine, but no luck from NT)  When
I watch the /var/log/maillog I see the pop login from linux, but nothing
when I try from NT, the same is true of the /var/log/secure.

I've had the same results with an empty hosts.allow & with ALL : ALL

Any ideas?  This worked before I redid the system & I assume I've got
something set or not set somewhere...

- greg

gvines at lilapple dot com

unable to telnet from NT, linux OK

Post by Joe Benes » Tue, 06 Feb 2001 13:41:48

check the /etc/hosts.deny  ??

--

Quote:> I upgraded a linux box to RHL 7.0 & now I can not telnet into it from an
> NT box.  I can telnet from another linux box.  Ping works OK (with
> either the IP address or hostname).  I have samba working on the linux
> machine, so this is something to do with xinetd(?) or security
> (maybe?).

> I'm also trying to set up a pop server on the linux machine & have the
> same results (OK from another linux machine, but no luck from NT)  When
> I watch the /var/log/maillog I see the pop login from linux, but nothing
> when I try from NT, the same is true of the /var/log/secure.

> I've had the same results with an empty hosts.allow & with ALL : ALL

> Any ideas?  This worked before I redid the system & I assume I've got
> something set or not set somewhere...

> - greg

> gvines at lilapple dot com

unable to telnet from NT, linux OK

Post by gvine » Tue, 06 Feb 2001 15:22:48

It is empty...

> check the /etc/hosts.deny  ??

> --

unable to telnet from NT, linux OK

Post by Michael Muelle » Tue, 06 Feb 2001 15:49:05

Hi gvines,

> I upgraded a linux box to RHL 7.0 & now I can not telnet into it from an
> NT box.  I can telnet from another linux box.  Ping works OK (with
> either the IP address or hostname).  I have samba working on the linux
> machine, so this is something to do with xinetd(?) or security
> (maybe?).

Check if your NT box's IP address is listed in /etc/hosts on the RH7 box
along with a name. If not any trial to contact the RH7 box by services
provided by (x)inetd may take 4 minutes for the reverse lookup
(converting IP number into name via domain name services) timeout.

Malware

unable to telnet from NT, linux OK

Yes, all our machines are in the hosts table.