RHl 7.0 nfs install. i am stuck?

Post by lala » Sat, 14 Sep 2002 08:42:29

Hi

i am trying to install Red hat linux 7.0 via nfs.

on the server side i have mounted the cdrom on /mnt/cdrom exported it
via nfs.

on the client side when it asks ip i specified DHCP option and its
working fine i can ping server to client.
in the RedHat dir i specified /mnt/cdrom and
i tried with /mnt/cdrom/RedHat also

but its giving error. "it doesnot contain valid installation tree"

anybody knows how to solve this.
pl hlp.

thx

RHl 7.0 nfs install. i am stuck?

Post by Preston Le » Sat, 14 Sep 2002 10:20:21

> Hi

> i am trying to install Red hat linux 7.0 via nfs.

> on the server side i have mounted the cdrom on /mnt/cdrom exported it
> via nfs.

> on the client side when it asks ip i specified DHCP option and its
> working fine i can ping server to client.
> in the RedHat dir i specified /mnt/cdrom and
> i tried with /mnt/cdrom/RedHat also

<snip>

Huh? On the server side you need to make sure it is listed in /etc/exports,
and on the client side you need to specify the export name defined on the
host in the exports file. The actual location should be transparent to the
client. Also, justing because you can ping the server doesn't mean NFS is
working correctly.

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you have done. Is this your first
time setting up a NFS?

--
s/Windows/baaa!/

RHl 7.0 nfs install. i am stuck?

Post by Nico Kadel-Garci » Sat, 14 Sep 2002 13:31:11

Quote:> Hi

> i am trying to install Red hat linux 7.0 via nfs.

Ogg smart caveman. Get *NEW* rock to replace old, worn-out one that do not
fit in nice axe.

In other words, hop to 7.2 or 7.3. 7.0 is painfully bad, especially with new
hardware.

RHl 7.0 nfs install. i am stuck?

Post by lala » Sun, 15 Sep 2002 04:33:40

hi
thx for the reply.

i can mount thru nfs /mnt/cdrom on another pc. but can't when i am
installing it on other client.
i think nfs is not a problem. when i checked the log of server right
after i tried to mount /mnt/cdrom on client it said:

"authencated mount request from 192.168.1.6 for /mnt/cdrom"

and it says about "installating tree" so, i am clueless. what are the
files its looking for.

thx again