new Debian: where is 'ps' and 'top'?

Post by fabrizio carrar » Sat, 22 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I installed the 'stable' Debian distribution (2.0.34)
It works fine, but I couldn't find some common
commands, such as 'ps' and 'top'.
I think 'ps' was in the 'base' directory before.
Trying to install previous ones it complains about
old libraries (not compatible with the new ones)
Where can I get at least 'ps'?

thanks

fabrizio

Post by Richard Kaszet » Sat, 22 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> I installed the 'stable' Debian distribution (2.0.34)
> It works fine, but I couldn't find some common
> commands, such as 'ps' and 'top'.
> I think 'ps' was in the 'base' directory before.
> Trying to install previous ones it complains about
> old libraries (not compatible with the new ones)
> Where can I get at least 'ps'?

Install the 'procps' package from 2.0

--
Richard W Kaszeta                       Graduate Student/Sysadmin

http://www.menet.umn.edu/~kaszeta

Post by Alex Yu » Sat, 22 Aug 1998 04:00:00

: I installed the 'stable' Debian distribution (2.0.34)
: It works fine, but I couldn't find some common
: commands, such as 'ps' and 'top'.
: I think 'ps' was in the 'base' directory before.
: Trying to install previous ones it complains about
: old libraries (not compatible with the new ones)
: Where can I get at least 'ps'?

"ps" belongs to the package "procps".  On my CD, it is located at
hamm/binary-i386/base/procps_1.2.7-1.deb

$ dpkg --smallmem -L procps
/lib/libproc.so.1.2.6
/bin/ps
/usr/bin/free
/usr/bin/tload
/usr/bin/top
/usr/bin/uptime
/usr/bin/vmstat
/usr/bin/w.procps
/usr/bin/watch
/usr/bin/skill
/usr/bin/snice
/usr/man/man1/ps.1.gz
/usr/man/man1/top.1.gz
/usr/man/man1/uptime.1.gz
/usr/man/man1/w.procps.1.gz
/usr/man/man1/watch.1.gz
/usr/man/man1/snice.1.gz
/usr/man/man1/free.1.gz
/usr/man/man1/tload.1.gz
/usr/man/man1/skill.1.gz
/usr/man/man8/vmstat.8.gz
/usr/man/man8/psupdate.8.gz
/usr/sbin/psupdate
/usr/doc/procps/BUGS
/usr/doc/procps/TODO
/usr/doc/procps/README.Debian
/usr/doc/procps/TODO.Debian
/usr/doc/procps/copyright
/usr/doc/procps/NEWS.gz
/usr/doc/procps/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/lib/menu/procps

new Debian: where is 'ps' and 'top'?

Post by j.. » Sat, 22 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I installed the 'stable' Debian distribution (2.0.34)

2.0.34 is a kernel version number.  I assune that you mean Debian 2,0?

Quote:> It works fine, but I couldn't find some common commands, such as 'ps' and
> 'top'.

They are in the procps package, which is a required package.

Quote:> I think 'ps' was in the 'base' directory before.

procps is still in base.

Quote:> Trying to install previous ones it complains about old libraries (not
> compatible with the new ones)

The procps stuff has changed.  Get the new procps package from a Debian
mirror or from your CD.  However, you have some sort of a problem with your
installation, because you should not have been able to get into this
condition.

I suggest that you go to www.debian.org, subscribe to the debian-user
mailing list, and ask for help there.
--
John Hasler                This posting is in the public domain.

Dancing Horse Hill         Make money from it if you can; I don't mind.
Elmwood, Wisconsin         Do not send email adverti*ts to this address.

1. Limiting 'w', 'top' and 'ps'

Hi.

I'm just beginning to set up a machine running Red Hat Linux 6.0

What I would like to do is make it so people 'feel alone' on the box. What I
mean is when they type 'w' they only see their own sessions logged in; when
the type 'top' only their processes are mentioned (and likewise for 'ps'). I
know this is possible as I have seen it done; but just don't know how.

I'm hoping one of you guys does!

All the best,

Ollie

2. kernel panic: srmmu_unlock_ptbl

3. SIGFPE with 'top' or 'ps -u' -- why ???

4. How do I Run application as root X display?

5. How to hide from 'who', 'finger', 'ps' commands?

6. Kernel and Duron-CPU

7. 'top' output -> High CPU consumption when thread is in 'sleep' state

8. Wake up on LAN

9. Has anyone ported 'top' or 'sps' to AIX ?

10. difference between 'buff' and 'cached' in top + free + /proc/memstat

11. should I trust 'free' or 'top'?

12. How to get 'SIZE' and 'RES' when running TOP in C?