Screwy libraries and things I think might be related...

Screwy libraries and things I think might be related...

Post by Andrew C. Dingma » Wed, 21 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Something is wrong with my Libc.so.5. Every now and then, various
programs will spontaneously quit or fail to run, and generate the error
message "cannot map Libc.so.5"

This has happened since I tried to install NCSA Mosaic a while ago, and
I tried to make a symlink to the particular file using
MidnightCommander, because Mosaic couldn;t find it and I didn;t want to
edit my path. (stupid, I know) I have tried to get dselect to reinstall
it. I have even mannaged to get it to report success. I have used the
source files on my CD to manually recompile my Libc5 package. The errors
persist. I think that they are also causing a severe problem with
dselect in which dselect is utterly unable to install my sound drivers,
or even completely uninstall them now that it has tried to install them.
I am stumped. As near as I can tell, just about every program on my
machine needs these libraries, and they don't seem to work. Can anybody
help me?

-Andrew

says...

I admire your passion, Chris..

The only issues which have kept myself from looking seriously at Linux
would be:

* It's Unix and the learning curve to start getting productive strikes me
as probably very steep

* It doesn't support plug-and-play.  If your hardware doesn't have Linux
drivers, it don't play..

* Not nearly the amount of developers out there doing stuff for Linux as
there are for Wintel.  Can I get MS Office for Linux?  Can I get
Photoshop for Linux?  Can I get QuarkXpress for Linux? etc.. a big turn
off for me.

--
Reuben King
Email: "reuben at texas dot net" (in plain english to foil spam-bots.

2. Please help! ibm ultrastar scsi & buslogic

3. Installing man pages

4. Why are things so screwy ??

5. Configuring ?a very simple network? (Again)

6. Why are things so screwy ?

7. How can I estimate the bandwidth client<->server in LAN?

8. Can anyone help me in http related things?

9. Profiles, home directories and related things

10. 2nd NIC-I think it's IP asssignment problem or related

11. You think of a security related web page-- I make it! FOR FREE!

12. To Think Some Very Shitty Things About It